03 March 2013 Military News
- Karzai condemns NATO killing of Afghan children Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2013 -- President Hamid Karzai has condemned a NATO helicopter strike that claimed the lives of two children in central Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Fiscal woes force US to cut naval presence in Persian Gulf Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2013 -- Deteriorating financial woes in the United States have forced Washington to reduce its military presence in the Persian Gulf.
- Baghdad says ship seized in Yemen belongs to Iraq Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2013 -- Iraq says a ship loaded with weapons and missiles, which has been seized by Yemen, belongs to Baghdad, despite Yemeni claims that it belongs to Iran.
- UK Special Forces may be cut by half Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2013 -- The British government is to diminish its Special Forces units by 40 percent to the pre-Iraq war scale in cutbacks unseen in almost half a century.
- UK Defense secretary's call for new welfare cuts criticized Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2013 -- British Liberal Democrat President Tim Farron has branded defense secretary Philip Hammond's call for cuts to welfare budget instead of defence spending as "morally wrong" and "economically stupid."
- DPRK's Nuclear Test Was Decisive Measure against U.S. Hostility KCNA 03 Mar 2013 -- We clarify once again that the DPRK's third nuclear test was part of the practical countermeasure for defending its sovereignty and security.
- U.S. and S. Korean Regime Warned against Staging War Maneuvers against DPRK KCNA 03 Mar 2013 -- One year has passed since Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un inspected Panmunjom.
- Russia faces 'war' in arms sales to Syria: Russian official Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2013 -- A senior Russian official says a 'real war' has been launched against Moscow to halt its legal exports of weapons to Syria.
- Assad slams Britain for pushing to end EU arms embargo on militants Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2013 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has criticized Britain for pushing to end the European Union's arms embargo against militants fighting against the Damascus government.
- Syria Army says killed more foreign-backed militants, seized their weapons Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2013 -- The Syrian Army says it has killed more foreign-backed militants and seized their weapons during an ongoing operation across the country.
- Assad Criticizes British Role In Syrian Conflict RFE/RL 03 Mar 2013 -- In a rare interview, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has said he will not step down and has criticized Britain for supporting opposition fighters in Syria's two-year conflict.
- Syrian President Assad Blasts British Government RIA Novosti 03 Mar 2013 -- The British government is "shallow and immature" and has for centuries played an "unconstructive" role in the Middle East, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said in an interview with the Sunday Times.
- US Army Commandos Train Armed Rebels in Syria – Sana RIA Novosti 03 Mar 2013 -- Instructors from US special forces are training armed opposition groups that are fighting against the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Syria's state-run news agency Sana reported on Sunday.
- Assad Defiant as Rebel Gains Continue VOA 03 Mar 2013 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is blasting the West for aiding forces attempting to oust him -- while a Britain-based monitoring group says more than 200 Syrian soldiers and opposition fighters died in a week-long battle for a police academy near the northern city of Aleppo.
- Erdogan rules out amnesty for PKK fighters Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2013 -- Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has ruled out a general amnesty for Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) fighters.
- 23 rebels claim retaking of two eastern towns Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2013 -- The March 23 movement (M23) rebels say they have recaptured two towns in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- DRC Army Withdraws from Rebel Zone VOA 03 Mar 2013 -- Pro-government forces in the Democratic Republic of Congo have pulled back from territory they took from the M23 rebels in the past week. Civilians in the reoccupied zone are protesting that they wanted the army to stay.
- In Egypt, Kerry meets secular opposition figures, warns Cairo on economy Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2013 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry has invited and met with numerous Egyptian secular opposition leaders in an apparent bid to undermine the government of the nation's Islamist President Mohamed Morsi.
- Kerry: US to Release Millions in Aid to Egypt VOA 03 Mar 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says Washington will provide Egypt with immediate financial aid because of the nation's 'extreme needs.' Kerry announced the deal after meeting Sunday with Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi. Cairo is the first stop in the Arab world for Kerry as he makes his inaugural trip as the top American diplomat.
- Sanctions against Iran will gradually ease from today: Salehi Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2013 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi has announced that the US-engineered sanctions against the Islamic Republic will be gradually removed from today, March 3.
- Isfahan nuclear site not dangerous: AEOI chief Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2013 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Fereydoun Abbasi has rejected claims of contamination at Isfahan's Uranium Conversion Facility.
- Iran Uses Nuclear Talks to 'Buy Time' for Bomb – Israeli PM RIA Novosti 03 Mar 2013 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday Tehran is "buying time" in the renewed talks with the world powers in an effort to continue its nuclear activities.
- 'Majlis must ratify Iran-Argentina agreement on AMIA' Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2013 -- A recent agreement between Iran and Argentina to set up a 'truth commission' to investigate the 1994 AMIA Jewish center bombing must be first ratified by the Iranian parliament (Majlis), says the Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister.
- Chad Kills Top Al-Qaeda Commander RFE/RL 03 Mar 2013 -- The army in Chad has announced that it has killed a top Al-Qaeda leader.
- Chadian Troops Kill Al-Qaeda Commander in North Mali RIA Novosti 03 Mar 2013 -- Chadian soldiers in northern Mali killed on Saturday Mokhtar Belmokhtar, one of al-Qaeda-linked commanders responsible for mass hostage taking at a desert gas plant in eastern Algeria, Al Jazeera reported.
- SpaceX Dragon Capsule Docks at Space Station RIA Novosti 03 Mar 2013 -- A SpaceX Dragon cargo capsule successfully docked with the International Space Station on Sunday, arriving one day late due to a temporary technical problem, NASA said.
- DPP to launch 'rational' anti-nuclear campaign CNA 03 Mar 2013 -- The opposition Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said Sunday that it will launch a 'rational' anti-nuclear campaign after the ruling Kuomintang (KMT) accepted the idea of holding a referendum on the controversial Fourth Nuclear Power Plant project.
- Russians And Stalin: 'What Is Not Positive In History, They Prefer To Forget' RFE/RL 03 Mar 2013 -- March 5 marks the 60th anniversary of the death of Soviet dictator Josef Stalin. Over the last 15 years or so, attitudes among Russians about the role Stalin played in the life of their country have changed dramatically.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|