23 February 2013 Military News
- Pakistan to Seek Interpol Help in Extraditing Taliban Commander VOA 23 Feb 2013 -- Pakistan says it will seek international help in extraditing a Pakistani Taliban commander held in Afghanistan. Pakistan's interior minister is appealing to the international police organization Interpol to ask Afghanistan to hand over senior Taliban commander Maulvi Faqir Mohammad. Faqir Mohammad, who was once the Pakistani Taliban's second in command, was captured earlier this week by Afghan security officials in eastern Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- New Arms Program to Change Russia by 2020 - Rogozin RIA Novosti 23 Feb 2013 -- Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said the implementation of Russia's ambitious arms procurement program will bring drastic changes to the country by 2020.
- Russia Plans Black Sea Fleet Rearmament – Ukrainian Minister RIA Novosti 23 Feb 2013 -- Russia has announced plans to rearm its Black Sea Fleet and has asked Ukraine to settle the issues regarding the planned deliveries of new weapons to the naval force, Ukraine's defense minister said on Saturday.
- N Korea warns US forces of 'destruction' ahead of joint drills Iran Press TV 23 Feb 2013 -- North Korea has warned the top US commander in South Korea of "miserable destruction" if his forces ignite a war by staging the scheduled joint military drills with Seoul.
- IRGC hacks foreign spy drone during Payambar-e Azam 8 wargames IRNA 23 Feb 2013 -- Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) declared hacking of another foreign spy drone during the first day of Payambar-e Azam 8 (The Great Prophet 8) wargames.
- Iran Navy uses submarine-launched drones: Cmdr. Iran Press TV 23 Feb 2013 -- Iran Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari says the country's naval forces are equipped with submarine-launched unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) with different flying ranges.
- Iran's IRGC cyber-warriors take control of foreign drone Iran Press TV 23 Feb 2013 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has successfully taken control of a foreign reconnaissance drone on the first day of the Payambar-e Azam 8 (The Great Prophet 8) war games, which are being held in the southeastern province of Kerman.
- 'Great Prophet 8' military drills start in Kerman IRNA 23 Feb 2013 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) ground forces started the 'Great Prophet 8' military drills in Sirjan, in southeastern province of Kerman, on Saturday.
- Iran's IRGC begins major ground, air military exercise Iran Press TV 23 Feb 2013 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has begun a major ground and air military exercise that covers the eastern parts of the country.
- Syrian Opposition Says 'No' To Conference RFE/RL 23 Feb 2013 -- The main Syrian opposition group says it has turned down invitations to visit Moscow and Washington.
- President calls for talks on development of Diaoyutais resources CNA 23 Feb 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou called Saturday for negotiations to develop the resources in the disputed Diaoyutais and reiterated that Taiwan holds sovereignty over the island chain.
- Clashes Erupt in Northern Mali VOA 23 Feb 2013 -- Fresh clashes have erupted in two regions of northern Mali where French and African troops have been backing Malian efforts to push Islamist militants from their remaining strongholds.
- Nigerian Boko Haram Sect Denies Ties to French Abduction VOA 23 Feb 2013 -- A sect of the Nigerian militant group Boko Haram militant group has denied involvement in the kidnapping of a French family of seven in neighboring Cameroon.
- New uranium resources indentified in Iran, report IRNA 23 Feb 2013 -- The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) announced Saturday that new uranium resources were discovered in the country's northern and southern costal areas thanks to the relentless efforts of the Iranian nuclear experts.
- IAEO head: Western countries ought to be more patient IRNA 23 Feb 2013 -- Head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization Fereydoun Abbassi said the West has to improve its tolerance and try to find ways for cooperation with those countries moving fast towards technological progress.
- Iran installs 180 IR2M centrifuges at Natanz facility: IAEO chief Iran Press TV 23 Feb 2013 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Fereydoun Abbasi says more than 180 second-generation centrifuges have been installed at Natanz nuclear facility.
- Iran designates 16 nuclear power sites: AEOI Iran Press TV 23 Feb 2013 -- The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) announces that the Islamic Republic has designated 16 nuclear power sites.
- Iran Finds New Uranium Deposits, Selects 16 Nuclear Sites RIA Novosti 23 Feb 2013 -- Iran has found more uranium deposits and selected 16 new sites for nuclear power plants, the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) said on Saturday.
- Japanese PM Vows Stronger Ties With U.S. RFE/RL 23 Feb 2013 -- Japan's new Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says he is committed to making his country a strong ally of the United States as it faces new security challenges from North Korea and China.
- Ma calls for honest communication over nuke plant controversy CNA 23 Feb 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou said Saturday the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant project is a dilemma for Taiwan and he will honestly communicate with the people to try to resolve the controversy over the issue.
- No safety, no operations for 4th nuclear power plant: president CNA 23 Feb 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou reaffirmed Friday the government's commitment to ensure the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant is safe before it is allowed to begin commercial operations.
- Egypt's ElBaradei Urges Election Boycott VOA 23 Feb 2013 -- Egypt's top opposition leader Mohamed ElBaradei is calling Saturday for a boycott of the country's upcoming parliamentary elections. A spokesman for the opposition National Salvation Front says the group, as a whole, will decide on its position in the next couple of days.
- Russian Deputy PM Urges UN Response to Asteroid Threat RIA Novosti 23 Feb 2013 -- Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Saturday a global system to protect our planet from asteroids and other dangerous space objects should be created under the auspices of the United Nations.
- Russia to Aim for 15% of Global Space Market – Medvedev RIA Novosti 23 Feb 2013 -- Russia plans to increase its share of the global space market from the current 10 percent to 15 percent, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said in an interview published on Saturday.
- US Antares Rocket Completes Hotfire Test RIA Novosti 23 Feb 2013 -- The new medium-sized rocket intended for missions to the International Space Station successfully completed the final ground test on Friday evening, its developer said.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|