23 December 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
Defense Policy / Programs
- NPS Concludes Sleep Study aboard Jason Dunham NNS 23 Dec 2012 -- Sailors aboard the guided-missile destroyer USS Jason Dunham (DDG 109) concluded their participation in a two-week sleep study, Dec. 17.
- Russia's 5th Generation Fighter Jet to Start State Tests in March RIA Novosti 23 Dec 2012 -- Russia's fifth-generation stealth jet fighter, the T-50, will start state flight tests in March 2013, Russia's Air Force Commander, Lt. Gen. Viktor Bondarev said on Sunday.
- Putin to Discuss Energy, Military Cooperation in India RIA Novosti 23 Dec 2012 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin will arrive Monday in India on an official visit expected to focus on economic ties, energy and multi-billion dollar defense deals.
- S. Korea Says Debris Reveals North's ICBM Technology VOA 23 Dec 2012 -- South Korea is asserting, based on debris it recovered from North Korea's rocket launch this month, that the reclusive state has significantly advanced its ballistic missile technology.
- Spokesman: Syrian crisis would not be limited to its borders IRNA 23 Dec 2012 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said if western countries interfere in Syria, the crisis would not be limited to Syria.
- Syria Activists: Government Air Strikes Kill Dozens VOA 23 Dec 2012 -- Syrian rights activists say government air strikes have killed dozens of people in rebel-held areas of the country, as international peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi began another visit to Damascus to try to resolve Syria's civil war.
- UN Mission in DRC Deploys 'Quick Reaction Force' VOA 23 Dec 2012 -- The United Nations Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO) has deployed its quick reaction force to combat banditry in the restive North Kivu capital, Goma.
- Mali Islamists Destroy More Timbuktu Mausoleums VOA 23 Dec 2012 -- Islamist militants are tearing down more ancient mausoleums in the northern Malian city of Timbuktu.
- Yemen Army Shells Tribesmen for Blocking Pipeline Repairs VOA 23 Dec 2012 -- The Yemeni army launched an assault on Sunday using tanks and rockets on tribesmen blocking repairs to the country's main oil export pipeline, tribal sources said.
- Egypt Opposition Vows to Keep Fighting Constitution VOA 23 Dec 2012 -- Egypt's liberal opposition coalition says it will keep fighting an Islamist-backed constitution despite its apparent approval in a two-stage referendum.
- Opposition To Appeal Egypt's Referendum RFE/RL 23 Dec 2012 -- Egypt's secular opposition is claiming fraud in a referendum that the ruling Islamists say approved a new constitution.
- Egyptian President Completes Upper House of Parliament RIA Novosti 23 Dec 2012 -- Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi completed the upper house of the country's parliament by appointing 90 new members in a special decree, made public on Sunday.
- Over 60% of Egyptians Vote for New Constitution RIA Novosti 23 Dec 2012 -- Over 60 percent of Egyptians voted for the country's new Constitution at a referendum that ended on Saturday, the local media reported on Sunday, citing preliminary vote results.
- Egyptian Opposition Denounces Referendum Results RIA Novosti 23 Dec 2012 -- Egypt's main opposition coalition, the National Salvation Front, said on Sunday it would appeal the results of the country's referendum, citing "fraud and violations."
- Chavez Condition More Stable - Vice President RIA Novosti 23 Dec 2012 -- The health of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has been stabilizing in recent days as he recuperates at a clinic in Havana from a fourth operation to remove cancerous tissue, the Venezuelan vice president said on Saturday.
- Enemy's economic war is aimed at taking revenge on Iranian nation: MP IRNA 23 Dec 2012 -- An Iranian legislator said on Sunday that the current economic war is not against the (Iranian) government; rather it has targeted the entire nation and that the hegemonistic powers want to take revenge on the Iranian nation for their 33-year resistance and self-sacrifice.
- Larijani: Iran's policy aims to promote peace, stability in region IRNA 23 Dec 2012 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said that Iran pursues the policy of peace and stability in the region and in Sri Lanka.
- Pakistan Minister Buried Amid National Mourning RFE/RL 23 Dec 2012 -- A Pakistani provincial minister killed by a Taliban suicide bomber has been buried amid national mourning.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|