12 December 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 12 Dec 2012 [PDF]
- Combined Force Arrests Taliban Leader, Detains 3 Suspects AFPS 12 Dec 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Taliban leader and detained three suspected insurgents during an operation in the Ghazni district of Afghanistan's Ghazni province, military officials reported.
- Panetta Arrives in Kabul to Thank Troops, Meet With Commanders AFPS 12 Dec 2012 -- After spending time with U.S. troops and officials in Kuwait, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta has landed here to thank troops for their exceptional service, especially during the holidays when it's harder to be far from family and friends.
- Royal Marines help train latest batch of Afghan police officers UK MOD 12 Dec 2012 -- Royal Marines have helped the latest batch of Afghan police officers complete their training in Helmand.
- Afghanistan Deadline Pushes Pakistan, US Closer VOA 12 Dec 2012 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta arrived in Kabul on a previously unannounced visit Wednesday to discuss the U.S. presence in Afghanistan after international combat troops complete their withdrawal in 2014. American, Afghan and Pakistani officials have recently ramped up talks on regional security and agreed to cooperate on defense priorities. Fear of the consequences of failure in Afghanistan appears to be pushing the sides closer together.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Report on Global Trends Discusses Game Changers AFPS 12 Dec 2012 -- The pace of change in the world has accelerated and Global Trends 2030 -- a publication of the National Intelligence Council -- lists what experts consider game changers that will drive world events over the next 18 years.
- Readout of the U.S.-China Defense Consultative Talks DoD 12 Dec 2012
- Sandy Marines return to sea USMC News 12 Dec 2012 -- Embarked aboard the USS Bataan, the USS San Antonio, and the USS Carter Hall, the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit returned to the waves once more Dec. 11, 2012.
- Pendleton gets $1M plus for energy conservation project USMC News 12 Dec 2012 -- The public utility for San Diego County's natural gas and electricity recognized Camp Pendleton's energy-conservation measures by presenting to the base a check for $1,002,570.42 at a ceremony in the courtyard of the 14 Area enlisted barracks here Dec. 10.
- South American air forces bridge gap through AFSOUTH liaison program AFNS 12 Dec 2012 -- A reality for members of the armed forces is relocation, be it another state or another country. For the South American airmen, one of the most coveted positions includes living thousands of miles from their country, fellow military members, family and friends -- working with the U.S. Air Force as a liaison officer.
- U.S., China Representatives Meet at Pentagon AFPS 12 Dec 2012 -- Officials from the United States and China met today at the Pentagon for the 13th annual Defense Consultative Talks, according to a Defense Department-issued statement.
- Remarks by Secretary Panetta at Ali Al Salem Air Base, Kuwait DoD 12 Dec 2012 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta
- Maritime Civil Affairs Team 105 Returns from Seven-Month Deployment NNS 12 Dec 2012 -- Maritime Civil Affairs Team (MCAT) 105 returned from Bahrain Dec. 7 after a seven-month deployment that took them to three countries in the U.S. 5th Fleet Area of Responsibility.
- Recruiting reorganization creates three new squadrons AFNS 12 Dec 2012 -- A reorganization within Air Force Recruiting Service is resulting in three new squadrons solely dedicated to health professions recruiting and as a result, a more appropriate focus on the HP mission.
- USS Theodore Roosevelt Sailors Conduct Equipment Testing Evolution NNS 12 Dec 2012 -- Sailors attached to USS Theodore Roosevelt's (CVN 71) Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Department (AIMD) and Weapons Department conducted load testing on aerial equipment, Dec. 11.
- Fleet Forces Explores Protective Clothing Solutions NNS 12 Dec 2012 -- Commander of U.S. Fleet Forces Command reached out to fleet leaders in a Navy message Dec. 12 to ensure Sailors understand the minimal flame resistant qualities of the Navy Working Uniform Type I.
- US Military Launches Mysterious Mini-Shuttle into Space RIA Novosti 12 Dec 2012 -- The United States Air Force successfully launched an unmanned Atlas V rocket Tuesday from Cape Canaveral, Florida carrying a small robotic military space shuttle, kicking off a month long classified operation.
- Syrian Strikes Heighten Urgency of Patriot Missile Deployment in Turkey VOA 12 Dec 2012 -- NATO preparations to defend Turkey from potential Syrian attacks may find new urgency as Damascus begins to use missiles against Syrian rebels across the Turkish border.
- KCNA Releases Report on Satellite Launch KCNA 12 Dec 2012 -- The Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) released the following report Wednesday:
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Spokesman on Satellite Launch KCNA 12 Dec 2012 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to questions put by KCNA Wednesday as regards the successful launch of the second version of satellite Kwangmyongsong-3:
- Journalists Visit General Satellite Control and Command Center KCNA 12 Dec 2012 -- Journalists inspected the General Satellite Control and Command Center in Pyongyang Wednesday after the successful launch of the second version of satellite Kwangmyongsong-3.
- UN Security Council Condemns Korean Rocket Launch VOA 12 Dec 2012 -- The United Nations Security Council has condemned North Korea's rocket launch, saying it violates two council resolutions prohibiting Pyongyang from using ballistic missile technology. The council will consider stronger action in the coming days.
- North Korea launches rocket, passes over Okinawa: report CNA 12 Dec 2012 -- North Korea launched a long-range rocket Wednesday that hurtled over Okinawa, but Japan did not fire a Patriot PAC 3 missile to intercept it, according to Japanese media reports.
- North Korea rocket launch 'very unwise': president CNA 12 Dec 2012 -- President Ma Ying-jeou has said it is unwise for North Korea to create tensions in East Asia by launching rockets, his spokesman said Wednesday.
- Taiwan `deeply concerned' over North Korean rocket launch CNA 12 Dec 2012 -- Taiwan is deeply concerned over North Korea's rocket launch Wednesday, a Taiwanese official said, describing the move as violating U.N. Security Council regulations and undermining regional stability.
- North Korea rocket launch no threat to Taiwan: official CNA 12 Dec 2012 -- North Korea's rocket launch on Wednesday did not pose any threat to Taiwan's national security, a Taiwanese defense official said, shortly after reports of North Korea's firing of the rocket.
- North Korea rocket launch 'very unwise': president CNA 12 Dec 2012 -- A new early warning radar system helped Taiwan detect North Korea's rocket launch shortly after the rocket blasted off Wednesday morning, according to the country's Ministry of Defense.
- Iran denies presence of its experts in North Korea IRNA 12 Dec 2012 -- Iran's Defense Ministry strongly dismissed claims by certain western media on presence of Iranian experts in North Korea to help the country launch ballistic missiles.
- DPRK Succeeds in Satellite Launch KCNA 12 Dec 2012 -- The second version of satellite Kwangmyongsong-3 successfully lifted off from the Sohae Space Center in Cholsan County, North Phyongan Province by carrier rocket Unha-3 on Wednesday.
- Secretary General condemns North Korea's rocket launch NATO 12 Dec 2012
- Defiant North Korea Launches Rocket RFE/RL 12 Dec 2012 -- The international community is condemning the apparently successful launch of a North Korean rocket into space.
- North Korea Launches Long-Range Rocket RIA Novosti 12 Dec 2012 -- North Korea has launched a long-range rocket on Wednesday, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said citing Seoul's defense ministry.
- North Korea Says Satellite In Orbit, NORAD Confirms RIA Novosti 12 Dec 2012 -- North Korea's official news agency said a carrier rocket has delivered into orbit the second version of Kwangmyongsong-3 satellite on Wednesday.
- Moscow 'Regrets' N.Korean Rocket Launch RIA Novosti 12 Dec 2012 -- Russia expressed its "deep regret" over North Korea's long-range rocket launch on Wednesday and called on Pyongyang to refrain from further action which could increase tension in the region.
- UN chief deplores rocket launch by DPR Korea UN News Centre 12 Dec 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon deplored the rocket launch announced by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), calling it a clear violation of the Security Council's demand that Pyongyang not conduct any launch using ballistic missile technology.
- Security Council Condemns N. Korean Rocket Launch VOA 12 Dec 2012 -- The U.N. Security Council has condemned North Korea's rocket launch, calling it a clear violation of U.N. resolutions that ban Pyongyang from carrying out missile or nuclear-related tests.
- US Condemns 'Highly Provocative' N. Korean Rocket Launch VOA 12 Dec 2012 -- The United States has joined other governments in condemning North Korea's apparently successful long-range rocket launch, calling it a 'highly provocative act' that threatens regional security.
- Fourth T-50 Stealth Fighter Flies RIA Novosti 12 Dec 2012 -- Russia's fourth prototype Sukhoi T-50 stealth fighter jet took to the skies for the first time on Wednesday in a 40 minute flight at the Komsomolsk-on-Amur factory in Siberia, Sukhoi said.
- India successfully test-fires Agni-I ballistic missile IRNA 12 Dec 2012 -- India successfully test-fired its indigenously developed nuclear capable Agni-I ballistic missile with a strike range of 700 km on Wednesday.
- £65 million contract to refit Royal Navy's largest warship secures hundreds of UK jobs UK MOD 12 Dec 2012 -- HMS Ocean, the Royal Navy's largest warship which played a starring role during the London 2012 Olympics, will receive a £65 million upgrade, the MOD announced (12 December).
- Iran Showcases Two Domestically Produced Helicopters RIA Novosti 12 Dec 2012 -- Iranian Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi unveiled two domestically-produced helicopters at an aerospace industry exhibition on Tuesday, Iranian media reported.
- December 12, 2012 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 12 Dec 2012
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 12/12/2012 The White House 12 Dec 2012
- 12 December 2012 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 12 Dec 2012
- UN officials stress inter-mission cooperation as vital to filling critical peacekeeping gaps UN News Centre 12 Dec 2012 -- United Nations officials today highlighted inter-mission cooperation between peacekeeping operations as an important tool to fill critical gaps in personnel or equipment, especially during so-called surge periods such as during elections, security crises or natural disasters.
- 'Friends of Syria' Recognize Syrian Opposition; Scuds Fired VOA 12 Dec 2012 -- A group of more than 100 nations calling for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to step down has formally recognized a newly formed Syrian opposition coalition as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
- International Meeting Endorses Syria Opposition Coalition RFE/RL 12 Dec 2012 -- Representatives of more than 120 countries and organizations meeting in Morocco have agreed to recognize the newly formed Syrian opposition coalition as the 'legitimate representative' of the Syrian people.
- Friends of Syria Recognize Opposition Coalition RIA Novosti 12 Dec 2012 -- The "Friends of Syria" group on Wednesday recognized the Opposition Coalition as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people, the Moroccan news agency MAP said.
- Moscow Slams US Recognition of Syria Opposition RIA Novosti 12 Dec 2012 -- The recognition by the United States of Syria's opposition coalition as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people shows that Washington is gambling on a military victory by the coalition, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Wednesday.
- Obama Recognizes Syrian Opposition RIA Novosti 12 Dec 2012 -- The United States has decided formally to recognize the Syrian opposition rebel coalition that is fighting to topple President Bashar al-Assad as the sole legitimate representative of the Syrian people, US President Barack Obama said on Tuesday.
- International community must unite to support negotiated end to Syria crisis – Ban UN News Centre 12 Dec 2012 -- The international community needs to unite to support a negotiated end to the crisis in Syria, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon stressed, reiterating that a military solution will not stop the violence that has already claimed tens of thousands of innocent lives.
- Russia Slams US Over Its Syria Stance VOA 12 Dec 2012 -- The Kremlin is lashing out at the United States for recognizing an opposition coalition as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people. Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that runs counter to previous agreements on Syria.
- 'Friends of Syria' Recognize Syrian Opposition VOA 12 Dec 2012 -- A group of more than 100 nations calling for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to step down has formally recognized a newly formed Syrian opposition coalition as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
- Jordan Feels Pressure to Take Sides on Syria VOA 12 Dec 2012 -- Syria's neighbors have watched the nation's civil war unfolding on their borders -- and occasionally spilling over. Unlike Turkey and Iraq, Jordan has tried to remain neutral. There are signs the kingdom may be dragged, however reluctantly, into the conflict.
- International Criminal Court judges confirm jurisdiction in case against former Ivorian president UN News Centre 12 Dec 2012 -- Appeals judges at the International Criminal Court (ICC) today unanimously dismissed an argument on its jurisdiction presented by defence lawyers for former Ivorian president Laurent Gbagbo, who is currently facing trial there on charges of crimes against humanity.
- Security Council extends sanctions on Liberia for another year UN News Centre 12 Dec 2012 -- The Security Council today extended the sanctions imposed on Liberia in connection with the country's civil war as well as the panel of experts tasked with monitoring compliance with the measures.
- Security Council extends terms of judges serving on UN Rwanda genocide tribunal UN News Centre 12 Dec 2012 -- The Security Council today extended the term of office of five judges serving with the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) to facilitate the completion of the court's work.
- UN war crimes tribunal sentences Bosnia Serb intelligence chief over Srebrenica and Zepa UN News Centre 12 Dec 2012 -- A United Nations war crimes tribunal today sentenced a former Bosnian Serb military chief to life imprisonment after convicting him of genocide and other crimes linked in part to the murders of Bosnian Muslim men and boys at Srebrenica in 1995.
- Central African Republic: UN envoy signs agreements on conflict-related sexual violence UN News Centre 12 Dec 2012 -- A senior United Nations official today concluded a visit to the Central African Republic (CAR) – her first mission abroad since her appointment – with the announcement of two agreements on conflict-related sexual violence with stakeholders in the country's peace process.
- At conference, UN envoy highlights importance of reconciliation process in Libya UN News Centre 12 Dec 2012 -- Noting the desire for a national reconciliation process among Libya's authorities and civil society, the top United Nations political envoy in the North African country today highlighted the importance of the process being carried out satisfactorily.
- Analysis: Premier's ouster complicates Mali crisis IRIN 12 Dec 2012 -- Mali's coup-triggered political crisis that has seen half the country seized by Islamist militias deepened with the arrest and resignation this week of interim Prime Minister Cheick Modibo Diarra - something which could complicate international peace efforts, say analysts and observers.
- Ex-Bosnian Serb General Gets Life in Prison for War Crimes RIA Novosti 12 Dec 2012 -- The UN International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague on Wednesday sentenced retired Bosnian Serb general Zdravko Tolimir to life in prison for his role in ethnic cleansing campaign during the 1992-95 Bosnian War.
- EGYPT: Fresh worries for religious minorities IRIN 12 Dec 2012 -- Almost two years ago, Joseph Ibrahim, a 48-year-old father-of-two and a member of Egypt's Coptic Christian minority, was in the frontline of the opposition to Egypt's former president Hosni Mubarak.
- Egypt Opposition Urges 'No' Vote in Constitution Referendum RIA Novosti 12 Dec 2012 -- Egypt's largest alliance of opposition parties, the National Salvation Front, called on Wednesday for voters to reject a draft Constitution during a referendum due later this week.
- Egypt Unity Talks Postponed VOA 12 Dec 2012 -- The Egyptian army says unity talks set for Wednesday between Islamist-backed President Mohamed Morsi and the country's secular opposition have been postponed. No new date was set.
- Little Compromise Ahead of Egyptian Referendum VOA 12 Dec 2012 -- Three days before Egypt is to hold a referendum on a draft constitution, confusion and tensions continue to roil the political scene.
- Bushehr nuclear power plant to become operational soon IRNA 12 Dec 2012 -- Head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization Fereydoun Abbasi said Wednesday that the nuclear power plant of Bushehr in southern Iran would preliminarily become operational soon.
- No technical problem in Bushehr power plant: IAEO Chief IRNA 12 Dec 2012 -- Head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization Fereydoun Abbasi said Wednesday that there is no technical problem in the Bushehr nuclear power plant in southern Iran.
- Ban urges greater cooperation on regional challenges among Central Asian nations UN News Centre 12 Dec 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called for greater cooperation amongst the countries of Central Asia, urging them to deepen their links to address the region's challenges and to seize opportunities for shared progress.
- Putin, In Annual Address, Denounces Foreign Meddling RFE/RL 12 Dec 2012 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin, in his annual address to parliament, has warned against outsiders interfering with Russia's internal affairs.
- Yamal Satellite Heads Back on Track RIA Novosti 12 Dec 2012 -- A Russian Yamal-402 satellite used its own engines and fuel for the third time on Wednesday to continue a push to its planned geostationary orbit, following a partial launch failure last weekend, Russia's Gazprom Space Systems (GSS) company said.
- Swedish TV: How Millions In Telecoms Bribes End Up In Karimova's Pocket RFE/RL 12 Dec 2012 -- A new TV documentary airing on Sweden's SVT public television offers startling eyewitness accounts of how Uzbekistan's ruling regime negotiates, and extracts, millions of dollars in bribes from foreign investors.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|