21 October 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Taliban Denies Roadside Bombs Cause Most Afghan Deaths RFE/RL 21 Oct 2012 -- The Taliban has rejected a UN report that said roadside bombs were causing most of the civilian casualties in Afghanistan.
- France to Withdraw Troops From Afghanistan Faster Than Expected RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2012 -- France may pull out its combat troops from Afghanistan faster than expected, France's Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said.
- Medevac central: A glimpse at one of the busiest medevac locations in Afghanistan Army News 21 Oct 2012 -- Pasab averages 30 percent of all Category Alpha medevac missions in RC-South.
- Pakistan conveys concern at U.S. drones strikes to Grossman IRNA 21 Oct 2012 -- The visiting special U.S. envoy for the region and Pakistani Foreign Minister Saturday discussed Pakistan's reservations over the U.S. drone attacks in the country’s tribal regions.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Israel, US Start Largest Ever Air Defense Exercise RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2012 -- The Israeli and United States armed forces started their largest-ever joint air defense and anti-missile exercise.
- Grandmasters Set to Complete Deployment NNS 21 Oct 2012 -- The Grandmasters of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 46, Detachment Six, also known as the "Big Irons", are nearing the end of their recent deployment aboard USS Vicksburg with record numbers.
- Armed forces start maneuver in western Iran IRNA 21 Oct 2012 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps operation forces started a two-day maneuver in the Tange Kenesht district in this western province morning to demonstrate their defensive power.
- Blast in Syrian Capital Kills 13 VOA 21 Oct 2012 -- A taxi rigged with explosives blew up near a police station in Syria's capital Sunday, killing 13 people and wounding 29.
- At Least Ten Dead in Damascus Car Bomb Blast RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2012 -- At least ten people have been killed after a car bomb exploded near a police station in the Syrian capital.
- Clashes Follow Beirut Funeral RFE/RL 21 Oct 2012 -- Lebanese security forces have fired rifles into the air and lobbed volleys of tear gas at hundreds of angry mourners trying to storm Lebanese government headquarters in Beirut.
- Rioters Storm PM's Office After Beirut Funeral RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2012 -- Opposition demonstrators in the Lebanese capital Beirut attempted to storm the prime minister's office building, demanding his resignation following the death of the country's intelligence agency in a car bombing.
- Thousands of Lebanese Mourn Intelligence Official Killed in Blast VOA 21 Oct 2012 -- Thousands of Lebanese gathered in Beirut's Martyrs Square for the funeral of police intelligence chief Wissam al-Hassan, killed in the explosion of a car bomb.
- Lebanon To Bury Slain Intelligence Official RFE/RL 21 Oct 2012 -- Lebanon is burying a top intelligence official killed in a bomb attack in Beirut on October 19, blamed by many in Lebanon on Syria.
- Lebanon Opposition Calls for ‘Day of Rage’ against Assad RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2012 -- Lebanon’s opposition leader Saad Hariri called on all Lebanese citizens to attend the funeral of slain intelligence officer Wissam al-Hassan and turn Sunday into the ?Day of Rage’ against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- Salehi: Zionists behind Beirut bomb blast IRNA 21 Oct 2012 -- Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi on Sunday expressed condolence to the bereaved families of the victims in Beirut bomb blast and said Zionists have masterminded the bombing to make the current situation more complicated.
- Gaddafi’s son Khamis Killed in Libya’s Bani Walid RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2012 -- Khamis, the youngest son of Libya’s late leader Muammar Gaddafi, was killed in an armed clash between the government troops and militants in the city of Bani Walid.
- No Limits to Building in East Jerusalem - Israeli PM RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2012 -- The Israeli government will not limit construction in disputed areas of Jerusalem, despite protests from Palestinians and the disapproval of the international community, Israel's Prime Minister Benyamin Netanyahu said.
- Russia: Security Forces Kill 49 Militants in North Caucasus Operation VOA 21 Oct 2012 -- Russia says its security forces have killed 49 militants in an anti-terror operation in the North Caucasus region, home to a long-running Islamist insurgency.
- Russia Conducts Large Security Operation In North Caucasus RFE/RL 21 Oct 2012 -- Russia's National Antiterrorism Committee says that a large operation in the North Caucasus involving forces from the Federal Security Service and Interior Ministry has resulted in 49 militants and bandits being killed.
- Agencies Assess Humanitarian Needs in the Sahel VOA 21 Oct 2012 -- Millions of people across West Africa’s Sahel region face a double crisis, as fallout from the northern Mali conflict hits areas already facing severe food shortages.
- Top negotiator concludes China visit with fruitful results CNA 21 Oct 2012 -- Senior Chinese officials have given goodwill responses to several major issues of concern to Taiwan.
- U.S. Says No Direct Talks With Iran RFE/RL 21 Oct 2012 -- The White House has denied a New York Times report that the Obama administration has agreed to hold one-on-one talks with Iran on its nuclear program.
- White House Denies Media Reports on US-Iran Bilateral Talks RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2012 -- Washington has not agreed with Tehran on direct bilateral talks concerning the controversial Iranian nuclear program.
- US Lawmakers Clash on Iran Talks VOA 21 Oct 2012 -- U.S. lawmakers disagree on the utility of direct American negotiations with Iran over the country’s nuclear program.
- Iran Hangs Three 'Terrorists' For 2010 Bombings RFE/RL 21 Oct 2012 -- Iran's judiciary says that it has hanged three men in the southeastern Sistan-Baluchistan Province for bombings in 2010 that killed 67 people.
- Larijani: Foreign spying services behind Chabahar terrorist attack IRNA 21 Oct 2012 -- Speaker of the Majlis Larijani said that the recent terrorist attack in the southeastern city of Chabahar in Sistan-Baluchestan province was ordered by "certain spying services outside Iran."
- Judiciary official: Agents involved in Chabahar bomb blast identified IRNA 21 Oct 2012 -- Prosecutor of Zahedan’s Public and Revolutionary Court Mohammad Morzieh said that those behine the October 19 bomb blast in the city of Chababar were identified and necessary measures have been started through Interpol for their arrest.
- Pakistani court’s decision brings ripples in politics IRNA 21 Oct 2012 -- The decision by the Pakistani Supreme Court that the elections were rigged in 1990 by the security institutions has opened a new debate about the role of security institutions in political affairs.
- Protesters, Police Clash in Kuwait VOA 21 Oct 2012 -- Police in Kuwait used tear gas, stun guns and batons on Sunday to disperse tens of thousands of anti-government protesters.
- Guinea-Bissau Troops Kill 6 Gunmen in Failed Coup Attempt VOA 21 Oct 2012 -- Six people have been killed in a gunbattle in troubled of Guinea-Bissau in what officials are calling a failed coup attempt.
- New Georgian Parliament Holds First Session RFE/RL 21 Oct 2012 -- Georgia's new parliament has elected David Usupashvili from the Georgian Dream coalition as the new speaker of the house.
- Saakashvili Calls for Constructive Dialog in Georgia’s New Parliament RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2012 -- President of Georgia Mikheil Saakashvili called on all political forces in the country’s legislature for constructive cooperation as the Georgian new parliament opened its first session on Sunday.
- Burmese Leader: Foreign Investment Bill to be Finalized in 'Days' VOA 21 Oct 2012 -- Burmese President Thein Sein says long-delayed legislation to boost foreign investment in his country could be finalized within days.
- Rivals Dispute United Russia's Election Victory In North Ossetia RFE/RL 21 Oct 2012 -- The leadership of the pro-Kremlin United Russia party convened on October 18 to assess the results of the elections four days earlier to the legislatures of six federation subjects, including the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|