06 October 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- 2 US Soldiers Killed in Afghanistan VOA 06 Oct 2012 -- The U.S. military says two American service members have died following an insurgent attack in eastern Afghanistan.
- Anti-Drone Rally Stopped By Pakistani Army RFE/RL 06 Oct 2012 -- Pakistani security forces have prevented a convoy protesting American drone strikes, headed by opposition politician Imran Khan, from entering a lawless tribal region along the border with Afghanistan.
- Imran Khan Leads March Against Drone Attacks To South Waziristan RFE/RL 06 Oct 2012 -- The Pakistani opposition politician Imran Khan is leading a procession into the South Waziristan tribal region to protest U.S. drone missile strikes near the Afghan border.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta Holds a Press Conference with Peruvian Defense Minister Pedro Cateriano DoD 06 Oct 2012 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta
- Panetta Discusses Defense With Top Officials in Peru AFPS 06 Oct 2012 -- The United States is committed to deepening its defense relationship with Peru, U.S. Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said today.
- NNS 06 Oct 2012 -- USS Michael Murphy (DDG 112), the Navy's newest guided-missile destroyer, was commissioned during a formal ceremony at pier 88 in Manhattan, Oct. 6.
- Stennis Rescues Drowning Man Near Strait of Malacca NNS 06 Oct 2012 -- Sailors from the John C. Stennis Strike Group rescued a Malaysian man, Oct. 6, in the South China Sea while transiting through the Strait of Singapore.
- USS Charlotte Holds ChNavy Commissions USS Michael Murphy in Big Appleange of Command NNS 06 Oct 2012 -- A time-honored change of command ceremony was held aboard the Los Angeles-class submarine USS Charlotte (SSN 766) at the submarine piers at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Oct. 5.
- Alaska Changes Command NNS 06 Oct 2012 -- The Ohio-class ballistic missile submarine USS Alaska (SSBN 732) (Blue) held a change of command at Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, Oct. 5.
- Submarine Squadron 6 Welcomes New Commander NNS 06 Oct 2012 -- Submarine Squadron (SUBRON) 6 held a change of command ceremony aboard Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Montpelier (SSN 765) at Naval Station Norfolk, Oct. 5.
- Littoral Combat Ship Shore-Based Training Facility Realigns NNS 06 Oct 2012 -- The Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) Shore-Based Training Facility (LTF) was internally realigned from Center for Surface Combat Systems (CSCS) Detachment San Diego to CSCS' Fleet Anti-Submarine Warfare Training Center (FLEASWTRACEN), Oct. 1.
- Florida Blue Changes Command NNS 06 Oct 2012 -- USS Florida (SSGN 728) (Blue) held a change of command ceremony aboard Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, Ga., Oct. 5.
- China conducts drills in wake of Japan-U.S. joint exercise: reports CNA 06 Oct 2012 -- China's marines recently conducted military exercises focused on seizing and controlling islands to test the combat capability of its forces, Hong Kong-based Phoenix Television reported Saturday.
- US Court Denies Bail to Russian in Technology Export Case RIA Novosti 06 Oct 2012 -- Houston court on Friday denied bail to Alexander Posobilov, a defendant in a high-profile illegal technology export case in the United States, defense lawyer Alexei Tarasov said.
- Air Force may resume Mirage fighter operations next week CNA 06 Oct 2012 -- An Air Force official said Saturday that a suspension of the country's Mirage jet fighters after a fatal crash in France will likely be lifted next week at the earliest.
- Turkish Army Returns Fire After New Syrian Mortar Strike RFE/RL 06 Oct 2012 -- Another mortar shell from Syria has struck Turkish territory, prompting a fourth day of retaliatory artillery fire from Turkey.
- Free Syrian Army Fighters Killed on Lebanon's border RIA Novosti 06 Oct 2012 -- Dozens of fighters of Free Syrian Army (FSA) have been killed in a large-scale operation of government forces in Homs province, near the border with Lebanon, Lebanon-based Al-Mayadeen TV reported on Saturday.
- Turkey Says Syria Fires Again Across Border VOA 06 Oct 2012 -- Turkish state media say another round of mortar fire from Syria has landed in southern Turkey.
- Japan's call for calm in handling disputes seen as 'goodwill' CNA 06 Oct 2012 -- The Japanese foreign minister's call for calm in dealing with 'pending issues' in relations between Taiwan and Japan demonstrated goodwill, Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Saturday.
- MOFA urges Japanese to respect Taiwan's fishing rights near islets CNA 06 Oct 2012 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged Japan on Saturday to respect Taiwan's fishing rights in waters near the disputed Diaoyutai Islands and cooperate in holding a new round of fishery talks.
- Armenian President Says Azerbaijan Preparing For War RFE/RL 06 Oct 2012 -- Armenian President Serzh Sarkisian has accused Azerbaijan of preparing for war over Nagorno-Karabakh, the Armenian-controlled separatist territory inside Azerbaijan.
- Nomination of new Prime Minister hailed by UN as another step forward for Somalia UN News Centre 06 Oct 2012 -- The United Nations envoy for Somalia on Saturday congratulated the country's Prime Minister-designate, Abdi Farah Shirdon, and encouraged him to set up a transparent and accountable government.
- French Police Kill One, Arrest 10 in Anti-Terror Sweep VOA 06 Oct 2012 -- Police in France killed one man and arrested 10 others in an anti-terror sweep in cities across the country Saturday. Authorities have linked the suspects to the firebombing last month of a Jewish grocery store outside the city.
- N. Korean Soldier Kills 2 Before Defecting to South VOA 06 Oct 2012 -- A South Korean official says a North Korean soldier has defected to the South after killing two officers.
- President: Enemies' plot will never damage nation's self-confidence IRNA 06 Oct 2012 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Saturday that the obstacles created by the enemies would never damage Iranian nation's self-confidence.
- Iran has not put forward nine-step proposal to G5+1 IRNA 06 Oct 2012 -- Iran has not put forward nine-step proposal to Group 5+1, Secretary of Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili said on Saturday.
- Baqeri: G5+1's constructive reply to Iran a base for new talks IRNA 06 Oct 2012 -- Deputy Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council Ali Baqeri on Saturday said G5+1's constructive response to Iranian proposals can be a base for new round of nuclear talks between the two sides.
- Iran to attend MENWFZ conference if Israel accepts NPT: Soltanieh IRNA 06 Oct 2012 -- Iran could attend The Middle East Nuclear Weapon Free Zone (MENWFZ) Conference only if Zionist regime accepts to sign the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), Iran's Ambassador to International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Ali Asghar Soltanieh said here on Friday.
- SpaceX Capsule Ready to Launch to Space Station VOA 06 Oct 2012 -- The California-based company SpaceX is set to launch the first of a dozen missions to deliver critical supplies to the International Space Station for the U.S. space agency.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|