26 September 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 26 Sep 2012 [PDF]
- Coalition, Afghan Troops Arrest 2 Taliban Leaders AFPS 26 Sep 2012 -- A combined coalition and Afghan security force arrested two Taliban leaders -- an attack commander and an improvised explosive device expert -- during an operation in the Ghazni district of Afghanistan's Ghazni province today, military officials reported.
- Study: US Should Re-Evaluate Pakistan Drone Strikes VOA 26 Sep 2012 -- A study by two leading U.S. universities is criticizing the U.S. administration's use of drone strikes against militants in Pakistan as counterproductive. But Washington considers the strikes crucial to its war against terrorists
Defense Policy / Programs
- Tactical Air Control Party Airmen support air expeditionary wing operations from afar AFNS 26 Sep 2012 -- Though they live and operate in a geographically-separated location, Airmen of the 82nd Expeditionary Air Operations Support Squadron are a crucial part of the 380th Air Expeditionary Wing.
- Panelists Brainstorm to Buffer Against Supply Chain Threat AFPS 26 Sep 2012 -- Defense Department and National Security Agency officials met with members of academia and industry today to discuss managing and protecting an ever-more-global, commercial and financially complex supply chain.
- Natick Center Strives to Improve Combat Ration Quality, Taste AFPS 26 Sep 2012 -- The Meal, Ready to Eat could go the way of the World War II-era C-ration and spinoffs of it that the MRE replaced almost 30 years ago.
- DOD Focuses on Leaders, Recruits in Sexual Assault Prevention AFPS 26 Sep 2012 -- Defense Department measures announced yesterday focus on military commanders, senior enlisted and frontline leaders as key in the battle to prevent and respond to sexual assault, a senior defense official said today.
- Air superiority – Harriers continue operations over Helmand USMC News 26 Sep 2012 -- Two AV-8B Harrier II Plus aircraft appear to dot the gray sky, as ground crewmembers prepare for their arrival. The aircraft are more than 46 feet long and have a wingspan of 30 feet 4 inches. They roar through the Afghanistan sky, a symbol of our air superiority.
- Combat logistics element practices for noncombatant evacuation operations USMC News 26 Sep 2012 -- The 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit is one of the most versatile units in the Marine Corps, capable of delivering aid with one hand and destroying those who would threaten America with the other. Marines and sailors of the MEU focused on training for the former Sept. 20, 2012. They established an evacuation control center and ran Marines acting as role-players through the process of registering, moving them to the appropriate location, searching and screening, and evacuating them.
- 'Sundowners' Play Adversary Role at UNITAS NNS 26 Sep 2012 -- The 'Sundowners' of Composite Fighter Squadron (VFC) 111 put naval forces from Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Mexico, the United Kingdom and the United States to the test during an air defense exercise that kicked off UNITAS Sept. 20-22.
- Air Force's top scientist unveils Cyber Vision 2025 AFNS 26 Sep 2012 -- The Air Force's top scientist presented the service's science, technology, engineering and mathematics developments here Sept. 18 at the Air Force Association's 2012 Air and Space Conference and Technology Exposition.
- Airmen build, repair houses at North Pole AFNS 26 Sep 2012 -- Eielson volunteers donned hard-hats and wielded construction equipment recently to help build housing for local Alaskans through the nonprofit program Habitat for Humanity.
- 734th AMS supports Valiant Shield 12 AFNS 26 Sep 2012 -- Airmen from the 734th Air Mobility Squadron brought their support during Exercise Valiant Shield 2012 here, Sept. 11 to 17.
- Panetta Shares Perspectives From Latest Trip AFPS 26 Sep 2012 -- In a message to the men and women of the Defense Department, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta shared his perspectives from his recent trip to the Asia-Pacific region.
- U.S.-Philippine Alliance Critical to Asia-Pacific, Official Says AFPS 26 Sep 2012 -- The U.S.-Philippine alliance plays a prominent role in the security landscape of the Asia-Pacific region, and the Defense Department continues to build military-to-military relations with the nation, a senior Pentagon official said here today.
- Navy Task Force Arrives in Scotland for Joint Warrior NNS 26 Sep 2012 -- Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 26, guided-missile cruiser USS Gettysburg (CG 64), guided-missile destroyer USS Mitscher (DDG 57) and Helicopter Maritime Strike (HSM) 46 Detachment 2 pulled into the port of Faslane, Scotland for a port visit, Sept. 26.
- Canadian Divers Embark Mine Countermeasures Ship NNS 26 Sep 2012 -- Canadian divers from Fleet Dive Unit, Atlantic, embarked mine countermeasures ship USS Warrior (MCM 10), for phase two of the International Mine Countermeasures Exercise 2012 (IMCMEX 12), Sept. 20-26.
- NATO Secretary General holds high-level meetings in New York NATO 26 Sep 2012 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen continued high-level meetings at the United Nations General Assembly in New York. On Wednesday (26 September), he met the Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov, with security cooperation at the top of the agenda.
- Russian Air Force to Get New Cruise Missile in 2013 RIA Novosti 26 Sep 2012 -- The Russian Air Force will accept into service in 2013 the new Raduga Kh-101 cruise missile, capable of delivering precision strikes with a conventional warhead at long-distance, an Air Force source told Izvestia on Wednesday.
- Russian Army Test Future Soldier Tech RIA Novosti 26 Sep 2012 -- The Russian Army is testing a future high-tech soldier equipment system and plans to stage exercises with the equipment as part of state trials, Defense Ministry ground forces spokesman Lt. Col. Nikolai Donyushkin said on Wednesday.
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Jay Carney Aboard Air Force One en route Ohio, 09/26/12 The White House 26 Sep 2012
- 26 September 2012 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 26 Sep 2012
- Security Council welcomes growing cooperation between UN and Arab League UN News Centre 26 Sep 2012 -- The Security Council today welcomed the growing cooperation between the United Nations system and the League of Arab States in the wake of the transformations taking place across the Middle East and North Africa.
- SYRIA: Towards governance in rebel-held areas IRIN 26 Sep 2012 -- Citizens are taking control of services in rebel-held areas of Syria. In al-Bara, a village in the rural northwest, dustmen are collecting rubbish. If there are power line problems, an electrician does the repairs. If someone is accused of theft, he has to stand trial, and if found guilty, he is sent to prison.
- Iran Correspondent Killed In Damascus RFE/RL 26 Sep 2012 -- Iran says sniper fire in Damascus has killed a reporter for its English-language Press TV and wounded the Damascus bureau chief of Press TV and Iran's Arabic-language Al-Alam channel.
- Israel Wary of Expanding Syrian Chaos VOA 26 Sep 2012 -- The conflict in Syria has intensified in recent months to the point where it could threaten peace across the region. Israel is the latest of Syria's neighbors to see the conflict spill across borders.
- Twin Explosions Target Syrian Military Building VOA 26 Sep 2012 -- Syrian officials say four security guards died when a pair of explosions hit a military building in central Damascus Wednesday, leaving part of the building in flames. It was the third time in weeks that military headquarters have come under attack.
- No Sign of Progress in Japan-China Island Dispute VOA 26 Sep 2012 -- A bitter territorial dispute between China and Japan showed no signs of improvement Tuesday, as foreign ministers from both countries held high-level talks to ease tensions.
- President reiterates peaceful resolution of Diaoyutais row CNA 26 Sep 2012 -- The territorial row over the Diaoyutai Islands must be resolved peacefully on the premise that all parties concerned acknowledge the existence of the dispute, President Ma Ying-jeou said Wednesday in the wake of a Taiwanese protest over the islands.
- Taiwan welcomes EU's call for calm on Diaoyutais issue CNA 26 Sep 2012 -- Taiwan welcomes a call by the European Union for all sides involved in the territorial dispute over the Diaoyutais Islands to seek a peaceful resolution, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Wednesday.
- Taiwan rejects Japan's protest over fishing boat action CNA 26 Sep 2012 -- Foreign Minister Timothy Yang has rejected a protest by a Japanese envoy over Taiwanese fishing boats sailing near the Diaoyutai Islands and reasserted Taiwan's sovereignty over the East China Sea island chain, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Tuesday.
- DRC: Army commander seeks solution to Masisi crisis IRIN 26 Sep 2012 -- Authorities in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) say they are trying to arrange for the assembly and disarmament of rival ethnic militias implicated in the massacres of hundreds of people in Masisi territory in the eastern province of North Kivu.
- 'No time to lose' to advance peace and democracy in Somalia – Ban UN News Centre 26 Sep 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today praised Somalia for the progress in its democratic transition and called on the international community to continue supporting the East African nation, stressing that 'there is no time to lose' as the country is still facing serious humanitarian and security challenges.
- Oil-rich Cabinda Still Waits for Independence from Angola VOA 26 Sep 2012 -- When Angolan President Jose Eduardo Dos Santos is inaugurated for another term in office, many in the province of Cabinda are not expected to join the celebrations. The oil-rich region continues to demand its independence from Angola, claiming it is marginalized and exploited.
- Full text of President Ahmadinejad’s UNGA address IRNA 26 Sep 2012 -- IRI President said on 2nd day of 86th UNGA here in New York listed documents for discriminatory nature of current world order, emphasizing the need for active participation of etire world nations in management of world affairs.
- Ahmadinejad criticizes arrogant powers' wrong policies IRNA 26 Sep 2012 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Wednesday criticized arrogant powers for their wrong policies in administering the world.
- President: Veto privilege has made UN unable to restore sustainable peace IRNA 26 Sep 2012 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Wednesday that the veto privilege has made the United Nations unable to restore sustainable peace in the international community.
- Ahmadinejad: World in dire need of new thinking, modern order IRNA 26 Sep 2012 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Wednesday that the world community is in dire need of new thinking and modern order.
- Commander: Probable aggressors will face deadly response from Iran IRNA 26 Sep 2012 -- Commander of Ground Forces of Army Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan said on Wednesday any probable aggressors will definitely face deadly response from Iranian armed forces.
- Iran has had confidence-building measures on nuclear issue: Prez IRNA 26 Sep 2012 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Iran has made good suggestions in its negotiations with Group 5+1 and believes that if those countries were committed to law and were satisfied with their own rights, all problems would be eliminated.
- IRNA chief arrested IRNA 26 Sep 2012 -- IRNA Managing Director and presidential advisor for press affairs Ali-Akbar Javanfekr was arrested today.
- Iran's Ahmadinejad Accuses West Of Nuclear 'Intimidation' At UN RFE/RL 26 Sep 2012 -- Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad has accused the West of nuclear "intimidation" in a speech to the UN General Assembly that was boycotted by the United States and Israel.
- Iranian President's Video Hits The Fan RFE/RL 26 Sep 2012 -- A video that appears to show Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad insulting the country's lawmakers has provoked a harsh response from Tehran and questions about the clip's authenticity.
- Spokesman: US dual behavior on terrorism is not new IRNA 26 Sep 2012 -- In reaction to the US government move to remove MKO from terrorist group list, Foreign Ministry Spokesman said US dual behavior on terrorism and manipulating MKO for their political interests is not a new issue.
- Morsi, Middle East Take Center Stage at UN General Assembly VOA 26 Sep 2012 -- Events in the Middle East held center stage Wednesday as several regional leaders took to the podium at the United National General Assembly, a session highlighted by the appearances of two presidents who took office after the Arab Spring uprisings.
- Morsi: Egypt faces Challenges and Opportunities VOA 26 Sep 2012 -- Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi Tuesday addressed the closing session of the Clinton Global Initiative's annual meeting. He spoke of the challenges facing his government and the region.
- Anti-Islam Video Condemned At UN RFE/RL 26 Sep 2012 -- The UN General Assembly has heard condemnation of an anti-Islam Internet video, which has sparked protests across the Muslim world.
- Ban warns of 'perfect storm' of crises confronting Sahel region of Africa UN News Centre 26 Sep 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called for urgent international support for the people and governments of West Africa's Sahel region, warning that the area is at a critical juncture with 18 million people affected by a severe food crisis.
- International aid sought in fight against terrorism, Yemen's President tells UN debate UN News Centre 26 Sep 2012 -- Addressing the United Nations General Assembly, Yemen's President Abdrabu Mansour Hadi today appealed to Heads of State and Government for more help in combating terrorism in his country where he said that Al-Qaida, although weaker, is still capable of desperate acts.
- Ex-U.S. Envoy To Pakistan Calls For 'Marriage, Not One-Night Stand' RFE/RL 25 Sep 2012 -- Former U.S. Ambassador to Pakistan Cameron Munter says Washington and its uneasy ally must build on a mutual 'desire for marriage, not a one-night stand.'
- Sixth Session of 12th SPA Held KCNA 25 Sep 2012 -- The Sixth Session of the 12th Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK was held at the Mansudae Assembly Hall Tuesday.
- NASA Closes In on the Big Bang VOA 26 Sep 2012 -- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Hubble space Telescope has captured the deepest ever view of the universe, a photograph showing galaxies going back almost to the beginning of time.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|