05 September 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 05 Sep 2012 [PDF]
- DOD News Briefing with Lt. Gen. Terry from the Pentagon DoD 05 Sep 2012
- Airstrike Kills Taliban Leader Involved in Aug. 7 Attack AFPS 05 Sep 2012 -- One of the Taliban leaders behind an Aug. 7 attack on a coalition base in Afghanistan’s Logar province was killed by Afghan and coalition security forces in Logar’s Pul-e Alam district.
- Hundreds of Afghan Soldiers Detained in Insider Attack Probe VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- Afghan officials say they have detained or expelled hundreds of Afghan soldiers as part of a probe into a deadly string of insider attacks.
- 'Hundreds' Arrested In Afghanistan Over 'Insider' Attacks RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- Afghan officials say "hundreds" of Afghan soldiers have been arrested or expelled from the army as officials crack down on a rising number of attacks on NATO-led troops by members of the Afghan security forces.
- ISAF Senior Leader Outlines ‘Insider Threat’ Response AFPS 05 Sep 2012 -- Coalition forces and Afghan government leaders are attacking the issue of insider threats in Afghanistan on several levels, a top commander in the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force said.
- General Assesses Progress, Momentum in Afghanistan AFPS 05 Sep 2012 -- Less than a week before the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, a senior U.S. officer assigned to NATO’s International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan said each such observance “serves to remind me of why we are here.”
- Afghanistan: U.S. To Hand Over Bagram Prison RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- Afghanistan's government has announced it will take full control from the United States next week of the controversial Bagram prison.
- Karzai Accuses Taliban Of 'Massacre Of Muslims' RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has denounced the Taliban killing of civilians as "massacres of Muslims."
- 870th assumes control of route clearance operations from the 883rd Army News 05 Sep 2012 -- The 870th Engineer Company assumed control of route clearance operations in Zabul province, Afghanistan from the 883rd Route Clearance Company.
- 3 YORKS company returns from Afghanistan UK MOD 05 Sep 2012 -- Soldiers from Corunna Company, 3rd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment, returned to Warminster on Tuesday, 4 September, after a six-month deployment to Afghanistan.
- In Search of Shipping Containers in Afghanistan Army News 05 Sep 2012 -- The mission was to deploy to Afghanistan and support Joint Sustainment Command - Afghanistan's Mobile Container Assessment Team program.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Partners, Innovation Help Defense Department Deal with Budget Cuts AFPS 05 Sep 2012 -- The Defense Department is dealing with long-term budget reductions by working more closely with international partners and continuously improving performance.
- USS Ponce: Refit, Reclassified, and Ready NNS 05 Sep 2012 -- Afloat Forward Staging Base (Interim) USS Ponce continued to support military operations in the 5th Fleet area of responsibility, Aug. 27.
- Largest exercise wraps up in South Korea AFNS 05 Sep 2012 -- Airmen, along with 30,000 participants from South Korea and other nations, took part in one of the largest Joint Staff exercises in the world here date to Aug. 30.
- U.S. Army Pacific Contingency Command Post participates in Ulchi Freedom Guardian Army News 05 Sep 2012 -- U.S. Army Pacific Contingency Command Post showed its Theater Army capability in the Republic of Korea Aug 14-30.
- Blue Ridge Arrives in Chinhae NNS 05 Sep 2012 -- U.S. 7th Fleet Flagship USS Blue Ridge embarked U.S. 7th Fleet staff, and Marines arrived in Chinhae, South Korea, Aug. 30, marking the successful completion of Ulchi Freedom Guardian 2012.
- DOD Launches Tomodachi Registry Website DoD 05 Sep 2012
- Registry to Provide Japan Response Radiation Info AFPS 05 Sep 2012 -- No Defense Department personnel or their families were exposed to radiation causing adverse health conditions following the nuclear accident in Japan last year.
- Pacom Exercise Program Integrates Disaster Response Preparation AFPS 05 Sep 2012 -- As they reach out to long-time allies and new partners alike to increase regional engagement through U.S. Pacific Command’s exercise program, officials are finding that one of the biggest enticements is a common threat: Mother Nature.
- Army advances networking, force-tracking technologies Army News 05 Sep 2012 -- The Army is preparing to send its next-generation "Blue Force Tracking 2" force-locating technology to Afghanistan.
- Army scientists demonstrate rapid detection of nerve agents Army News 05 Sep 2012 -- Scientists at the U.S. Army Research Laboratory are exploring ways to quickly alert Soldiers to deadly gaseous nerve agents in the air using a new approach termed multi-wavelength photoacoustics.
- North Dakota Guard, tribes dedicate Lakota helicopter Army News 05 Sep 2012 -- More than 500 people showed up Sept. 4, to dedicate the North Dakota Army National Guard's newest helicopter, the UH-72A Lakota, at a ceremony which included a tribal blessing of the aircraft.
- Submarine USS Topeka Returns from Deployment NNS 05 Sep 2012 -- Friends and family of Sailors aboard the USS Topeka welcomed home Topeka's crew, Sept. 5, at Naval Base Point Loma, Calif., following a six-month deployment to the Western Pacific.
- Swift Crew Continues APS Mission, Reflects on SECNAV Visit NNS 05 Sep 2012 -- Sailors and embarked crew aboard Military Sealift Command-chartered High Speed Vessel Swift continues its Africa Partnership Station West 2012 mission in Republic of Congo.
- NAVFAC Mid-Atlantic Awards Energy Improvement Project in Norfolk NNS 05 Sep 2012 -- Atlantic's Hampton Road Integrated Product Team announced Sept. 5, it has awarded a $17 million contract to S.B Ballard of Virginia Beach for renovation of Building J-50 and improvements to the steam system aboard Naval Station Norfolk.
- JBER turns landfill gas into energy AFNS 05 Sep 2012 -- With an eye to the future, officials at JBER, the Municipality of Anchorage and Doyon Utilities put their heads together to find a way to convert the landfill gas from a diversion for ravens into usable energy for the military base.
- NATO Chief Visiting Armenia Amid Tensions RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen is expected to meet with Armenia's leadership during a two-day visit to Yerevan that begins on September 5.
- India, Russia to Make Multiple Rocket Systems RIA Novosti 05 Sep 2012 -- Moscow and Delhi have agreed to set up a joint venture in India for manufacturing and post-sales servicing of rockets for Russian Smerch multiple rocket launchers.
- India, China agree to expand defence cooperation IRNA 05 Sep 2012 -- India and China reached consensus on a wide range of issues relating to defence and military exchanges and cooperation to be conducted this year and beyond.
- Iran closely watching US moves in Persian Gulf: IRGC navy commander IRNA 05 Sep 2012 -- Navy of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps are closely and seriously watching every move made by the US forces in the Persian Gulf.
- Navy commander: Dispatching of 21 fleet to int'l waters proves Iran’s might IRNA 05 Sep 2012 -- The successful dispatching of 21 fleet to the international waters in the past three years is a sign of Iran’s military might and power.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, September 5, 2012 US Dept. of State 05 Sep 2012
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 05 September 2012 United Nations 05 Sep 2012
- China, US Discuss Differences over Syria VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton met Wednesday with Chinese officials to discuss differences about how best to end the conflict in Syria.
- Egypt, Turkey Slam Syrian President VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- Turkish prime minister called Syria a "terrorist state" that carries out massacres against its own people.
- Egypt's Morsi Urges Arab Action on Syria VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- Egypt's president has made an impassioned plea to fellow Arab leaders to bring an end to the bloodshed in Syria.
- Egyptian President Says 'Time For Change' In Syria RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- Egypt's President Muhammad Morsi says the "time for change" has come in war-torn Syria, and that the regime of President Bashar al-Assad must leave.
- U.S. Warns Iraq Not To Let Iran Fly Weapons Over To Syria RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- Three U.S. senators have warned Iraq's Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki not to allow Iran to fly over Iraqi airspace to deliver weapons and equipment to Syria.
- 19 Killed in Aleppo Gun Battle VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- Activists say Syrian forces have killed at least 19 people, including seven children, when they shelled rebel-controlled areas of the commercial capital, Aleppo.
- Additional Humanitarian Assistance in Response to Violence in Syria US Dept. of State 05 Sep 2012
- Syrian Opposition Hopes Russia Helps Resolve Conflict RIA Novosti 05 Sep 2012 -- Russia could put pressure on the Syrian authorities to help resolve the conflict in the country, Fathi Jamous, leader of the Coalition Forces for Peaceful Change in Syria, said.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks With Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi US Dept. of State 05 Sep 2012
- Experts: Treaties Complicate US Position in China-Japan Islands Dispute VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- The United States says it is staying out of a Japanese-Chinese dispute about uninhabited islands in the East China Sea.
- China to Clinton: No Question of Sovereignty Over South China Sea VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- China says there is no questioning its sovereignty over waters and islands in the South China Sea, some of which are claimed by Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Taiwan, and the Philippines.
- Clinton Meets Chinese President Amid South China Sea Tensions RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- U.S. State Secretary Hillary Clinton has met with Chinese President Hu Jintao.
- Taiwan upholds claim to Tiaoyutais despite latest Japanese gambit CNA 05 Sep 2012 -- The Republic of China's sovereignty over the Tiaoyutai Islands will remain unchanged despite Japan's latest move to nationalize the disputed islands by buying three of them that are privately owned, the government said Wednesday.
- Reports: Japan to Buy Disputed East China Sea Islands VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- Japan's government has agreed to buy a group of East China Sea islands at the center of a heated territorial dispute with China.
- Japan to Buy Three Disputed Senkaku Islands RIA Novosti 05 Sep 2012 -- Japanese authorities have decided to buy several privately owned uninhabited islands in the East China Sea.
- Military to guard president during visit to islet near Tiaoyutais CNA 05 Sep 2012 -- The military will dispatch warplanes and frigates to ensure the safety of President Ma during his upcoming visit to an islet not far from the Tiaoyutai Islands.
- Ma orders Coast Guard to increase patrols around Tiaoyutais CNA 05 Sep 2012 -- President Ma instructed the Coast Guard Administration to strengthen operations aimed at protecting Taiwanese fishing boats in waters surrounding the disputed Tiaoyutai Islands.
- Military to follow national policies on deployment in Spratlys CNA 05 Sep 2012 -- The military will follow national policies and instructions outlined by the National Security Council on whether to redeploy Taiwan's Marine Corps on Taiping Island in the disputed South China Sea.
- Mali Formally Requests Regional Intervention Force VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- Mali's interim leader Dioncounda Traore requested that the West African regional bloc ECOWAS provide "military assistance" to recover occupied territory in the north and fight terrorism.
- Sudan Talks Resume on Border Issues VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- Sudan and South Sudan have resumed their negotiations in Ethiopia.
- Press Conference by Religious Leaders on Democratic Republic of Congo, 05 September 2012 United Nations 05 Sep 2012
- In Brief: CAR refugees face urgent needs in DRC IRIN 05 Sep 2012 -- More than 1,700 people who fled attacks in the Central African Republic have streamed into neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo and are in urgent need of humanitarian assistance, aid agencies say.
- Burma Releases 42 Child Soldiers, Vows to End Practice VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- The Burmese military has released 42 child soldiers from its ranks, as part of efforts to end the recruitment of underage fighters in the Southeast Asian country.
- In Brief: Chins denied religious freedom in Myanmar IRIN 05 Sep 2012 -- Religious freedom for Myanmar’s 500,000 ethnic Chins is being denied, says a new report by the Chin Human Rights Organization.
- Passions and History Run Deep In Safarov Case RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- The details of the crime seem anything but heroic: a young lieutenant hacking a fellow soldier to death in his sleep, with an ax he had stealthily purchased hours before.
- China Charges Ex-Police Chief Who Revealed Bo Xilai Scandal VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- Chinese state media say a former police chief who revealed details of a major Communist Party scandal has been charged with attempted defection, abuse of power, and taking bribes.
- Iran Releases Azerbaijani Poets Accused Of Spying RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- Iran has released two Azerbaijani poets who were arrested in May for alleged espionage.
- Iran's Ahmadinejad Accused Of Planning Putin-Style Power Grab RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- A recent comment by Iran's President Mahmud Ahmadinejad has revived speculation about his political future.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Denounces U.S. and IAEA for Pulling Up DPRK over LWR Construction KCNA 05 Sep 2012 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to the question raised by KCNA as regards the U.S. and the International Atomic Energy Agency's unreasonable pulling up of the DPRK over its construction of light water reactor.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Clarifies the DPRK's Stand on DPRK-Japan Inter-Governmental Talks KCNA 05 Sep 2012 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to the question raised by KCNA as regards the preliminary talks between the governments of the DPRK and Japan.
- North Korea's Parliamentary Move Fuels Speculation VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- North Korea has announced that its legislature is to meet again this month.
- SPA Session to Be Convened in DPRK KCNA 05 Sep 2012 -- The Presidium of the DPRK Supreme People's Assembly Monday made public a decision on convening a session of the Supreme People's Assembly.
- Ban voices concern at harsh sentences upheld against Bahraini activists UN News Centre 05 Sep 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban is concerned at the harsh sentences, including life imprisonment, upheld by a Bahrain appeals court against 20 Bahraini political activists.
- U.S. 'Troubled' As Bahrain Upholds Activists' Sentences RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- The United States says it is "deeply troubled" after a Bahrain appeals court upheld jail terms against 13 opposition activists on charges of plotting to overthrow the Gulf monarchy.
- Libya at Crossroads as Coalition Bargaining Continues VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- Libya’s newly minted politicians are bargaining furiously over who will be the country’s first elected prime minister since the fall of Moammar Gadhafi.
- Mauritania Reportedly Sends Qaddafi's Spy Chief To Libya RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- Reports from the West African country of Mauritania say Muammar Qaddafi's former spy chief has been extradited to Libya.
- Mauritania Extradites Gadhafi's Ex-Spy Chief VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- Mauritania's state news agency says Moammar Gadhafi's ex-spy chief, Abdullah al-Senussi, has been handed over to Libya, where he is expected to stand trial.
- Ethiopia Waits for Swearing-in of Prime Minister VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- Ethiopia hopes to witness its first peaceful transition in recent history, once the new prime minister is sworn in.
- New Kyrgyz Prime Minister Confirmed RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- Kyrgyzstan's parliament has confirmed Jantoro Satybaldiev to be the country's new prime minister.
- Kyrgyz Parliament Elects New PM RIA Novosti 05 Sep 2012 -- The parliament of Kyrgyzstan elected Zhontoro Satybaldiyev as the country’s new prime minister with a majority of votes on Wednesday.
- Angolan Post Election US Dept. of State 05 Sep 2012
- Ghanaians Verify Voters List Information VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- The chairman of Ghana’s Independent Electoral Commission says the ongoing voter registration process will ensure a credible general election December 7.
- Amnesty: Maldives' Rights Abuses Contrasts Paradise Image VOA 05 Sep 2012 -- Amnesty International is urging the international community to not ignore what it says is a growing human rights crisis in the Maldives.
- Close Associate Of Ousted Kyrgyz President Detained In Kazakhstan RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- The Kazakh Interior Ministry has announced the arrest of a close associate of Kyrgyzstan's former President Kurmanbek Bakiev.
- Belarus Refuses to Extradite Kyrgyz Ex-President’s Brother RIA Novosti 05 Sep 2012 -- Belarus refused to extradite to Kyrgyzstan Zhanysh Bakiyev, a brother of the country’s ex-president wanted on murder charges.
- Gunman Kills One During Speech By Quebec Separatist Leader RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- In Canada, police say one person was shot dead and another injured when a man opened fire inside the theater where the prime minister-elect of Quebec Province was giving a victory speech following provincial elections.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|