13 July 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 13 Jul 2012 [PDF]
- Combined Force Kills Several Insurgents AFPS 13 Jul 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force killed several insurgents and detained multiple suspected insurgents during an operation to apprehend a high-level Haqqani network leader in the Giyan district of Afghanistan’s Paktika province.
- Locklear Lauds Australia’s Commitment, Sacrifice in Afghanistan AFPS 13 Jul 2012 -- US Pacific command chief said the lessons learned through a decade of shared operations there lays a foundation for closer future U.S.-Australian cooperation in addressing regional challenges.
- Senior UN official condemns recent violence against Afghan women UN News Centre 13 Jul 2012 -- The head of the United Nations agency tasked with advancing gender equality has condemned the recent violence against women in Afghanistan and stressed the need to protect their rights.
- Bomb Kills Afghan Women's Affairs Official VOA 13 Jul 2012 -- Afghan officials say a bomb has killed a local official with the Ministry of Women's Affairs.
- Bomb Kills Afghan Women's Affairs Ministry Official RFE/RL 13 Jul 2012 -- Officials in Afghanistan say a woman who worked as a provincial director for the Ministry Of Women's Affairs and her husband have been killed in a bomb explosion.
- Containerised workshop gets the thumbs up in Afghanistan UK MOD 13 Jul 2012 -- A portable 'garage' facility which will support Army vehicle mechanics on the front line has been successfully trialled in Afghanistan.
- Elrod, Coast Guard Disrupt Drug Flow in the Caribbean NNS 13 Jul 2012 -- USS Elrod with embarked U.S. Coast Guard Law Enforcement Detachment team recovered 91 packages of marijuana.
- Navy Supports Colorado Wild Fires through NELPO Program NNS 13 Jul 2012 -- Navy emergency preparedness liaison officer deployed to the Federal Emergency Management Agency Region VIII Response Coordination Center in Denver in support of the Colorado Wild fires.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russian, U.S. Brass Meet On Syria, Missile Defense RFE/RL 13 Jul 2012 -- The top U.S. military officer has held talks with his Russian counterpart in Washington on missile defense and the Syria crisis.
- Asia-Pacific Strategic Engagement Initiative US Dept. of State 13 Jul 2012
- Pacom Chief Calls Australia Key Player in Regional Security AFPS 13 Jul 2012 -- Australia has been a staunch U.S. ally for more than 60 years and its leadership will continue to be critical to regional security and the future of the Asia-Pacific.
- 12th Marine Regiment departs for Korea USMC News 13 Jul 2012 -- Approximately 250 Marines with 12th Marine Regiment departed Kin Red Beach training area, near Camp Hansen, July 9-11, for the Republic of Korea.
- Fleet Industrial Supply Center Warehouse Completed by NMCB 40 Seabees NNS 13 Jul 2012 -- Seabees of U.S. Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 40 completed the Fleet Industrial Supply Center warehouse at Commander, Fleet Activities, Okinawa, White Beach.
- Rodong Sinmun On Japan-S. Korea Military Coop KCNA 13 Jul 2012 -- The General Security of Military Information Agreement which Japan is working hard to conclude with the south Koreans may disturb regional peace and stability and create a catastrophic situation.
- 19th Air Force inactivates, Maj. Gen. Solo retires AFNS 13 Jul 2012 -- Nineteenth Air Force stood down in an inactivation ceremony at Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas, yesterday after more than 19 years of managing flying training for all of Air Education and Training command.
- Two Silver Star medals presented at 19th Air Force inactivation ceremony AFNS 13 Jul 2012 -- Two 19th Air Force combat search and rescue pilots were presented the Silver Star medal at the 19th Air Force's inactivation ceremony July 12.
- Air Force general explains force structure decisions to Congress AFNS 13 Jul 2012 -- The Air Force deputy chief of staff for strategic plans and programs testified on proposed force structure changes before the House Armed Services Committee here, July 12.
- HS-10 Warhawks Reflect on History at Disestablishment Ceremony NNS 13 Jul 2012 -- Sailors, former unit members, and family attended a disestablishment ceremony for Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron 10 at Naval Air Station North Island.
- Commander takes charge of newly merged garrisons Army News 13 Jul 2012 -- Col. Sergio Dickerson took the reins of U.S. Army Garrison Benelux on Chièvres Air Base amid nearly 500 guests.
- U.S. Army Garrison-Pohakuloa police complete Taser training Army News 13 Jul 2012 -- U.S. Army Garrison Pohakuloa's police force became the first Army police department in Hawaii to be certified to use the Taser when it completed training on June 29.
- XVIII Airborne Corps produces book about Iraq war Army News 13 Jul 2012 -- The XVIII Airborne Corps Public Affairs Office, as part of the United States Forces-Iraq staff responsible for concluding Operation New Dawn in Iraq by the end of 2011, was given a final mission for the history books, literally.
- Army Releases June Suicide Data DoD 13 Jul 2012
- Olympics airspace restrictions to begin UK MOD 13 Jul 2012 -- Extra airspace restrictions around London and the South East, designed to ensure a safe and secure London 2012 Olympic Games, will begin on Saturday 14 July.
- HMS Ocean opens to public ahead of Olympics duties UK MOD 13 Jul 2012 -- After the training exercises earlier this year, HMS Ocean is returning to London for a key role supporting the police in providing security to the Olympic Games.
- India Tests Nuclear-Capable Ballistic Missile RIA Novosti 13 Jul 2012 -- The Indian Army successfully test-fired a nuclear-capable Agni-1 ballistic missile.
- Iran Still Counts on Russian S-300 Delivery - MP RIA Novosti 13 Jul 2012 -- The issue of Russian S-300 air-defense system delivery to Iran could still be resolved, an Iranian lawmaker said.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 13 July 2012 United Nations 13 Jul 2012
- UN agencies urge nations to consider humanitarian concerns in arms treaty negotiations UN News Centre 13 Jul 2012 -- Ten United Nations agencies and their partners have urged Members States to place humanitarian concerns at the forefront of their discussions aimed at reaching agreement on a comprehensive and robust arms trade treaty.
- Little: Syrian Chemical Weapons Appear Secure AFPS 13 Jul 2012 -- There are no indications that Syrian chemical weapons stockpiles have become less secure.
- Secretary Clinton Statement on Assad Regime Massacre in Traymseh US Dept. of State 13 Jul 2012
- UN Chief Calls For Security Council 'Action' To End Syria Violence RFE/RL 13 Jul 2012 -- UN Secretary-General Ban has urged the Security Council to take "collective action" to end the violence in Syria.
- Ban and UN-Arab League envoy condemn latest attacks on Syrian civilians UN News Centre 13 Jul 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban and the Joint Special Envoy for the United Nations and the League of Arab States for Syria Annanstrongly condemned the attacks on in the Syrian village of Tremseh.
- Outrage Mounts Over Syria Massacre VOA 13 Jul 2012 -- What activists are calling the worst of three large-scale massacres in Syria since late May is sparking widespread outrage.
- Annan 'Appalled' At Latest Syrian Massacre RFE/RL 13 Jul 2012 -- International envoy Kofi Annan says he's "shocked and appalled" at reports that tanks and helicopters were used in fighting that may have killed as many as 200 people in Syria's Hama region.
- Syrian Opposition Says Tremseh Massacre Leaves 200 Dead RIA Novosti 13 Jul 2012 -- Syrian opposition activists say at least 200 people have been killed in an assault by forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad on a village in the central Hama province.
- Turkey Denies Fighter Shot Down by Syria RIA Novosti 13 Jul 2012 -- The General Staff of Turkey’s Armed Forces on Friday backed down from its previous claim that its fighter jet was downed last month by Syrian forces.
- U.S. Hopes Russia Will Back Tougher Syria Resolution RIA Novosti 13 Jul 2012 -- The United States does not rule out that the UN Security Council member states will be able to agree on a Syria resolution.
- No Helicopters on Board Ships to Syria - Rosoboronexport RIA Novosti 13 Jul 2012 -- Russia's state-run arms company denied that any of its warships presently heading for Syria were carrying Mil Mi-25 helicopter gunships.
- SYRIA: Iraqis use Syrian conflict to settle old scores IRIN 13 Jul 2012 -- Iraqis with old vendettas have taken advantage of the chaos and instability in Syria to pursue Iraqi refugees there, with a string of kidnappings in recent months.
- ASEAN Concludes, Exposing S. China Sea Rifts VOA 13 Jul 2012 -- Southeast Asian foreign ministers have failed to hammer out a joint statement summarizing key regional meetings this week.
- Northern Mali Residents Rise Up Against Islamists VOA 13 Jul 2012 -- Residents of Goundam, in Mali's Timbuktu region, rose up against the armed group Ansar Dine on Friday after the group carried out beatings in its bid to impose strict Islamic law.
- UN mission using helicopters to protect civilians from rebel fighters in DR Congo UN News Centre 13 Jul 2012 -- The UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo used two of its attack helicopters in support of the country’s armed forces to deter rebel soldiers in North Kivu.
- Over 200,000 Congolese Flee North Kivu Fighting VOA 13 Jul 2012 -- U.N. aid agencies have reported more than 200,000 people have fled recent fighting in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- ICC issues arrest warrants for rebel leaders wanted for DR Congo war crimes UN News Centre 13 Jul 2012 -- The International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants for Sylvestre Mudacumura and Bosco Ntaganda.
- DRC: Top officials warn against witch-hunts, hate speech IRIN 13 Jul 2012 -- Officials in the Democratic Republic of Congo have assured leaders of the Tutsi community they are working to protect Tutsis across the country amid rising resentment sparked by a mutiny led mainly by Tutsi soldiers in the east.
- Resettlement and land reform key challenges for peace in Rwanda – UN expert UN News Centre 13 Jul 2012 -- A UN independent expert stressed that resettlement and land reform are two of the main challenges for the consolidations of peace and stability in Rwanda.
- AU Troops Recover Stolen Relief Food VOA 13 Jul 2012 -- African Union troops in central Somalia have recovered more than 500 bags of food aid that were stolen by the insurgent group al-Shabab.
- FSB Kills Elderly Uzbek ‘Extremist’ in Saratov RIA Novosti 13 Jul 2012 -- A 60-year-old Uzbekistan native was shot dead by Federal Security Service operatives for resisting arrest on extremist charges.
- Mladic Genocide Trial To Resume On July 16 RFE/RL 13 Jul 2012 -- The Yugoslav war crimes tribunal says the trial of former Bosnian Serb Army chief Ratko Mladic is expected to resume on July 16 after being suspended for two days after Mladic fell ill on July 12.
- UN destroys hundreds of small arms and light weapons in Côte d’Ivoire UN News Centre 13 Jul 2012 -- Some 600 small arms and light weapons have been wiped out in Côte d’Ivoire over the last two days by the United Nations Mine Action Service.
- Two Indicted for Alleged Efforts to Supply Iran with U.S.-Materials for Gas Centrifuges to Enrich Uranium US Dept. of Justice 13 Jul 2012
- Two Charged In U.S. With Trying To Export Nuclear Material To Iran RFE/RL 13 Jul 2012 -- The U.S. Justice Department says two men have been charged with trying to export material to Iran that could be used for uranium enrichment.
- Letter from the President Regarding the Cuban Liberty and Democratic Solidarity Act of 1996 The White House 13 Jul 2012
- Secretary Clinton Remarks From the Fifth Lower Mekong Initiative Ministerial US Dept. of State 13 Jul 2012
- Secretary Clinton Remarks at the Second Friends of the Lower Mekong Ministerial US Dept. of State 13 Jul 2012
- Statement on the Fifth Lower Mekong Initiative Ministerial Meeting US Dept. of State 13 Jul 2012
- Statement of the Second Friends of the Lower Mekong Ministerial Meeting US Dept. of State 13 Jul 2012
- Lower Mekong Initiative US Dept. of State 13 Jul 2012
- Background Briefing in Siem Reap, Cambodia US Dept. of State 13 Jul 2012
- U.S. Economic Engagement with ASEAN US Dept. of State 13 Jul 2012
- Clinton, Thein Sein Encourage New US Investment in Burma VOA 13 Jul 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Burmese President Thein Sein met in Cambodia to encourage new U.S. investments in Burma.
- Clinton Meets Burma's President VOA 13 Jul 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton met with Burmese President Thein Sein, after the United States formally lifted economic sanctions against the southeast Asian nation.
- Clinton Discusses Investment, Debt in Cambodia VOA 13 Jul 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is in Cambodia where she met with Prime Minister Hun Sen to discuss U.S. investment and Cambodia's outstanding debt.
- Police In China Rule Activist's Death A Suicide RFE/RL 13 Jul 2012 -- Chinese police have issued a determination that political activist Li Wangyang's death on June 6 was a suicide.
- Thailand Court Backs Government's Reform Plans VOA 13 Jul 2012 -- Thailand’s Constitutional Court ruled in favor of plans by the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to move ahead with constitutional reform.
- UN rights office hails Malaysia’s intention to repeal colonial-era Sedition Act UN News Centre 13 Jul 2012 -- The UN human rights office welcomed the announcement by the Malaysian Government that it will repeal a 1948 law that curbed free speech and freedom of expression in the South-east Asian nation.
- Clinton to Visit Egypt as Relations Change VOA 13 Jul 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton visits Egypt over the weekend to meet the nation's first freely elected president, Mohamed Morsi.
- Egypt’s Tantawi not to Seek Defense Minister’s Post RIA Novosti 13 Jul 2012 -- Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, the head of Egypt’s Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, has no plans to seek the position of defense minister in a new government to be formed by President Mohamed Morsi.
- Protests Grow in Khartoum VOA 13 Jul 2012 -- Large protests erupted Friday in Khartoum and other parts of the country, marking a month since student-led demonstrations began in the Sudanese capital.
- Bomb At Pakistan Political Rally Kills Five In Quetta RFE/RL 13 Jul 2012 -- Officials in Pakistan say at least five people have been killed and 10 or so others injured in a bomb explosion at a political rally.
- Blast kills 6, injures 8 in SW Pakistan IRNA 13 Jul 2012 -- At least six people were killed and eight others injured when a powerful bomb went off in the southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta.
- SOMALIA: Tens of thousands need food aid in Somaliland IRIN 13 Jul 2012 -- About 120,000 people in the coastal, mid- and far western regions of the self-declared republic of Somaliland require emergency food assistance after four years of failed rains.
- Ethiopia Jails Journalists, Activists for 'Terrorism' VOA 13 Jul 2012 -- At least 20 Ethiopians, including journalists and opposition figures, have been sentenced to prison on terrorism charges, after a trial denounced by human rights groups.
- Togo's Government Resigns Ahead of Elections VOA 13 Jul 2012 -- The prime minister of Togo and his government have unexpectedly resigned just months before parliamentary elections in the tiny West African nation.
- Tunisia: Mother Of Key Uprising Figure Detained RFE/RL 13 Jul 2012 -- The mother of Mohamed Bouazizi, the street vendor whose self-immolation unleashed the uprising that led to President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali's ouster in 2011, has reportedly been detained and charged with insulting an official.
- Russian Duma Passes Controversial Defamation, NGO Bills RFE/RL 13 Jul 2012 -- Russia's lower house of parliament has approved two controversial bills.
- Duma Approves Foreign Agent NGO Law RIA Novosti 13 Jul 2012 -- Russia's lower house of parliament passed a bill forcing non-government organizations (NGO) engaged in political activity with foreign financing to be classed as "foreign agents."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|