08 July 2012 Military News
- Combat Engineers aid mobility in Afghanistan USMC News 08 Jul 2012 -- Marines with 1st Combat Engineer Battalion, 1st Marine Division (Forward), performed route clearance, June 19-29, in support of Operation Jaws in Nahr-e Saraj, Afghanistan.
- At major conference, Ban calls for continued international engagement with Afghanistan UN News Centre 08 Jul 2012 -- Speaking at a major international conference, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called for the international community to continue its engagement with and support for Afghanistan.
- International Donors Pledge $16 Billion To Afghanistan Until 2015 RFE/RL 08 Jul 2012 -- International donors meeting in Tokyo have pledged some $16 billion in development aid to Afghanistan until 2015.
- Afghanistan Promises to Fight Corruption as Donors Pledge Billions VOA 08 Jul 2012 -- Senior officials from the international community are pledging billions of dollars more in civil aid for Afghanistan amid concerns terrorism and corruption still threaten progress made in the country during the past decade.
- Karzai: Afghanistan on 'Long Journey to Self-Reliance' VOA 08 Jul 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai says his country is embarking on a 'long journey to self-reliance.'
- Salehi: Withdrawal of foreign troops helps Afghan peace, stability IRNA 08 Jul 2012 -- Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said on Sunday that withdrawal of alien forces will bring peace and stability to Afghanistan.
- US, Pakistan, Afghanistan Call on Taliban to Join Reconciliation VOA 08 Jul 2012 -- Foreign ministers from the United States, Afghanistan, and Pakistan met Sunday on the sidelines of an Afghan donor conference in Japan to discuss cross-border cooperation and security. They called on Taliban fighters to join Afghan reconciliation efforts.
- Clinton Looks For Improved U.S.-Pakistan Relations RFE/RL 08 Jul 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hilary Clinton says the United States and Pakistan are putting past tensions behind them to focus on the future.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Truman Departs Norfolk Naval Shipyard for Sea Trials NNS 08 Jul 2012 -- Sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) departed Norfolk Naval Shipyard (NNSY) and began sea trails, one of the final milestones of its docking planned incremental availability (DPIA) July 7.
- Military to hold joint-forces live-fire missile exercise CNA 08 Jul 2012 -- The military will hold a joint-forces live-fire missile exercise Monday in the southern county of Pingtung as part of its efforts to strengthen the country's defense capabilities.
- International pressure needed to prevent further escalation of violence in Syria – Ban UN News Centre 08 Jul 2012 -- 'The situation has deteriorated significantly, and has become more militarized. Appalling violations of human rights continue to take place. The killings and violence seem to have taken on a very worrying sectarian character. At least 1.5 million people are now in need of urgent humanitarian aid,' Mr. Ban told journalists at the Japan National Press Club.
- Clinton Says Assad's Days Are Numbered VOA 08 Jul 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says opposition attacks in Syria are stepping up pressure on the government.
- Egyptian President Orders Dissolved Parliament Back To Work RFE/RL 08 Jul 2012 -- Egypt's President Muhammad Morsi has ordered the Islamist-dominated parliament to reconvene, a month after it was dissolved by the military.
- Egypt's President Orders Dissolved Parliament to Reopen RIA Novosti 08 Jul 2012 -- A month after Egypt's Islamist-led parliament was dissolved by then-ruling powerful military generals, the country's newly elected president ordered it to reconvene until a new one is elected.
- Egypt's Morsi to Make Saudi Arabia His First Foreign Visit VOA 08 Jul 2012 -- Egypt's new president Mohamed Morsi will make his first overseas trip to Saudi Arabia. Analysts say his choice of a strong Sunni Muslim country with deep pockets is significant.
- UN chief congratulates Timor-Leste on peaceful holding of parliamentary elections UN News Centre 08 Jul 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has congratulated the people, Government and political parties of Timor-Leste for the peaceful and orderly manner in which the country held parliamentary elections on Saturday.
- IR Iran fully ready to tackle enemy's air intrusion: Commander IRNA 08 Jul 2012 -- The spokesman of tactical air defense maneuvers, Brigadier General Shahrokh Shahram, said that IR Iran's Army's air defense units are fully prepared and vigilant to confront any of enemy's airplane or helicopter illegally entering the Iranian territory.
- Air defense drills conducted in NW Iran IRNA 08 Jul 2012 -- The tactical drills of air defense unit of the Islamic Republic of Iran's Army begun in northwestern Iran.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|