07 July 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. Secretary of State Declares Afghanistan 'Major Ally' RFE/RL 07 Jul 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has announced that the Obama administration has declared Afghanistan a major non-NATO ally of the United States.
- Clinton Designates Afghanistan as Major US Ally RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2012 -- The United States has given Afghanistan the status of 'major non-NATO ally', reinforcing its message to Afghans that the two countries will maintain defense and economic ties even after American military's withdrawal, world media said on Saturday.
- Afghanistan Designated Major US Ally During Clinton Visit to Kabul VOA 07 Jul 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton visited Kabul Saturday on a previously unannounced drop-in on her way to Tokyo for an international donor conference for Afghanistan. The Obama administration has made Afghanistan a preferred military partner eligible for quicker financing for U.S. weapons.
- ISAF Commander Condemns Farah Rocket Attack AFPS 07 Jul 2012 -- International Security Assistance Force Commander Army Gen. John R. Allen condemned today's terrorist attack against the governor's compound in Afghanistan's Farah province.
- U.S. Drone Strike in Pakistan 'Kills 20' RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2012 -- Some 20 people have been killed in a U.S. drone strike in north-western Pakistan, local television channels have reported.
Defense Policy / Programs
- 9th Comm. Bn. establishes communication for Javelin Thrust USMC News 07 Jul 2012 -- The Marines arrived June 18 to set up the brigade’s communications network and support the operation. The exercise serves a part of a three exercise continuum aimed to validate the readiness of 1st MEB as a global crisis response force.
- 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade to exercise command and control at Javelin Thrust 2012 USMC News 07 Jul 2012 -- More than 5,000 Marines from the 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade, part of I Marine Expeditionary Force and Marine Forces Reserve are participating in the exercise.
- Pacific Partnership 2012 Participants Set New Bar NNS 07 Jul 2012 -- Service members and Sailors taking part in Pacific Partnership 2012's (PP12) Medical Civic Action Project (MEDCAP) in Samar, Philippines set a new record by seeing more than 1,000 patients in a single day, June 30.
- Russia Calls for Flexibility in Arms Trade Control RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2012 -- A future global arms trade treaty should outline general principles for preventing illegal arms trade and should leave it up to national governments to decide on particular ways of their implementation, a senior Russian diplomat said during a United Nations Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty under way in New York.
- German opposition blasts military assistance in Saudi tank tests IRNA 07 Jul 2012 -- Germany's main opposition parties lambasted the Merkel government for its role in providing training on the latest Leopard 2 combat tanks in Saudi Arabia, press reports said Saturday.
- Annan Admits Failure Of Syrian Peace Mission – Media RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2012 -- The UN and Arab League envoy to Syria, Kofi Annan has admitted his failure in solving Syrian crisis, French Le Monde reported on Saturday.
- Russia Calls 'Friends of Syria' Group 'Immoral' RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2012 -- Meetings being organized by the Friends of Syria group are one-sided and immoral, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich has said.
- China Rejects US Criticism Involving Syria Conflict VOA 07 Jul 2012 -- Beijing has rejected criticism by U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton that China and Russia are hampering efforts to end the Syrian conflict by supporting President Bashar al-Assad.
- Rebels Kill Sudan Official, 7 Others at S. Sudan Border RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2012 -- Sudanese rebels have killed eight people in an attack in Sudan's border state of South Kordofan, including a state official and a local parliament speaker, the Sudan News Agency (SUNA) has reported.
- Malians Wonder What Another Summit Will Achieve VOA 07 Jul 2012 -- West African heads of state met Saturday in Ouagadougou with representatives of Malian political parties and other civil society groups to talk about the way forward in Mali. However, many Malians are skeptical about what will come out of yet another meeting held outside Mali to decide the country's future.
- Libyans Flock To Vote, Amid Reports Of Sabotage RFE/RL 07 Jul 2012 -- Libyans are voting for parliament as the country holds its first free vote in 60 years.
- Libyans Hold Emotional Multi-Party Election, First in 60 Years VOA 07 Jul 2012 -- Libyans filled with optimism went to the polls Saturday for their nation's first multi-party elections in 60 years. It was an emotional moment for people who have lived through 42 years of dictatorship and a bloody revolution.
- Romania Rocked by Political Turmoil VOA 07 Jul 2012 -- Romania has been rocked by political turmoil after parliament suspended President Traian Basescu from office, paving the way for a referendum on his future later this month. The procedure comes despite European Union and U.S. concerns over the status of democracy in the former communist nation.
- Expediency Council examines government's measures to thwart oil sanctions IRNA 07 Jul 2012 -- The Expediency Council on Saturday began examination of the measures adopted by the government to thwart the oil sanctions.
- Army's ground forces to stage exercises on western Iran IRNA 07 Jul 2012 -- Commander of the Iranian Army's Ground Forces Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan said on Saturday that the Army ground forces are to stage exercises on the western part of the country from July 9 for a week.
- Iran Navy saves Singapore merchant ship from pirates IRNA 07 Jul 2012 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran's Navy saved a Singaporean merchant ship from the pirates while crossing Bab-el-Mandeb strait in the Red Sea.
- US: Iranian Dissident Group Must Complete Move From Iraqi Base VOA 07 Jul 2012 -- The United States has warned an Iranian dissident group that time is running short for it to vacate its Iraqi exile camp.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|