01 July 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pittsburgh Army Reserve unit arrives in Kuwait Army News 01 Jul 2012 -- More than 240 Pittsburgh-based Army Reserve Soldiers of the 316th Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) arrived here, July 1, to begin their unit's second overseas deployment.
- More Aircraft Arrive to Combat Western Wildfires AFPS 01 Jul 2012 -- Eight Department of Defense C-130 aircraft equipped with U.S. Forest Service Modular Airborne Fire Fighting Systems now are assisting in multi-agency efforts to control wildfires in Colorado and other western states, according to a U.S. Northern Command news release update issued today.
- Some Firefighting C-130s to Redeploy from Colorado to Wyoming AFPS 01 Jul 2012 -- Starting tomorrow, four of the eight Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System-equipped C-130 military aircraft presently stationed at Peterson Air Force Base, Colo., to combat wildfires in Colorado and other western states will begin operating out of the Wyoming Air National Guard's base in Cheyenne.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Defense minister reveals new details about RQ-170 drone IRNA 01 Jul 2012 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said Iran has gained access to new details about the captured US drone, RQ-170.
- Rodong Sinmun Accuses Japan of Contemplating Going Nuclear KCNA 01 Jul 2012 -- The Japanese Diet passed a draft amendment to a main law on atomic energy.
- Syrian Opposition Rejects UN Transition Deal VOA 01 Jul 2012 -- Syrian opposition groups have rejected a United Nations-backed plan for a political transition in Syria, calling it 'ambiguous' and 'a farce' while ruling out any possibility of sharing power with President Bashar al-Assad.
- Gunmen Attack Churches in Northeast Kenya VOA 01 Jul 2012 -- On Sunday, gunmen attacked two churches in Garissa, a city in northeastern Kenya. At least 17 people were killed, and more than 40 wounded. The Somali militant group al-Shabab and its supporters have been blamed for other attacks in Kenya.
- EU Welcomes Morsi as Egypt's New Leader RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2012 -- European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton has welcomed the inauguration of Mohamed Morsi as Egypt's new president.
- Mexicans Vote for Next President VOA 01 Jul 2012 -- Voters in Mexico are casting ballots to choose their next president, in an election that is expected to return to power a party that ruled for decades.
- IRGC Commander: Zionist regime will be destroyed if it ventures attack on Iran IRNA 01 Jul 2012 -- The Zionist regime will be destroyed if it ventures an attack on Iran, Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Aerospace Unit, Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh said on Sunday.
- 222,000 barrels of oil to be produced from southwestern oil fields IRNA 01 Jul 2012 -- Managing Director of Arvandan Oil and Gas Company Salbali Karimi says 22,000 barrels of oil are daily produced out of Azadegan, Jofeir, Yadavaran, and Darkhoein fields west of Karun in Khuzestan Province.
- IRGC to conduct missile maneuver in southeastern Iran IRNA 01 Jul 2012 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution's Guards Corps (IRGC) Aerospace Division Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh said on Sunday that its forces would conduct a missile war game code-named Prophet 7.
- Iran Threatens Israel With Home-Made Missiles - IRNA RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2012 -- Iran will respond with its new domestically-made anti-radar ballistic missiles if Israel attacks the Islamic republic, IRNA quoted on Sunday the Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps' (IRGC) Aerospace Unit, Amir Ali Hajizadeh as saying.
- Iran Acknowledges Sanctions Have Become Severe VOA 01 Jul 2012 -- Iran has acknowledged that Western sanctions over its controversial nuclear program have reached their toughest level, as the European Union begins a total ban on Iranian oil imports.
- Iran Braces for EU Embargo VOA 01 Jul 2012 -- European Union sanctions against imports of Iranian oil went into effect Sunday. The sanctions are part of a growing arsenal of measures aimed at deterring Iran's nuclear program. But will they work?
- DPRK Woman Interviewed upon Her Return Home KCNA 01 Jul 2012 -- DPRK woman Pak Jong Suk was interviewed by Korean and foreign reporters.
- June 15 North-South Joint Declaration Remains Alive: Minju Joson KCNA 01 Jul 2012 -- Colorful events for reunification held in different parts of south Korea to mark the 12th anniversary of the June 15 North-South Joint Declaration.
- Japan Reactor to Go Back Online RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2012 -- A reactor at the Ohi nuclear power plant in central Japan is set to go back on line later on Sunday, NHK Television reported.
- Space Station Crew Lands in Kazakhstan RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2012 -- A Soyuz reentry capsule with three members of the International Space Station (ISS) crew landed safely in Kazakhstan on Sunday, mission control said.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|