24 June 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- MCMs Arrive in U.S. 5th Fleet NNS 24 Jun 2012 -- Four U.S. Navy mine countermeasures (MCM) ships arrived in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations aboard M/V Tern, June 23.
- USS George Washington Leads Joint Maneuvers With S. Korea VOA 24 Jun 2012 -- In a show of force that South Korea's military says is meant as a warning to North Korea, a U.S. naval carrier strike group is conducting maritime maneuvers with South Korea off the coast of the tense peninsula.
- China's UAVs capable of disrupting U.S. aircraft carriers: reports CNA 24 Jun 2012 -- China has reportedly developed unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) capable of interfering with the navigation of U.S. aircraft carriers in the Taiwan Strait and the South China Sea, according to foreign reports.
- U.S. assures quality of military equipment after report of fake parts CNA 24 Jun 2012 -- The United States has assured Taiwan of the quality of weapons it sells to other countries, weeks after a U.S. Senate report found that the use of bogus Chinese electronic parts in American military equipment was widespread, Taiwan's military said Sunday.
- Russia's Yaroslav Mudry Warship to Join Baltic Sea Drills RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2012 -- Russia's Yaroslav Mudry frigate will join the FRUKUS international naval drills that will kick off in the Baltic Sea on Sunday, a Russian Defense Ministry spokesman said.
- Army Commander: Sanctions ineffective on IR Iran IRNA 24 Jun 2012 -- Commander of the Islamic Republic of Iran's Army's Ground Forces Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan said that imposition of sanctions by the global arrogance has made more talents to flourish in Iran.
- Commander: Iran's navy will go beyond Mediterranean Sea IRNA 24 Jun 2012 -- Army's Navy commander, Rear-Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said that the Islamic Republic of Iran's Navy is present in the Red Sea and Mediterranean Sea for establishment of security there.
- IRGC ready to give crushing response to enemies IRNA 24 Jun 2012 -- Commander of IRGC Aerospace Department Brigadier General Amir-Ali Hajizadeh said on Sunday that Iran is not willing to wage war against other countries but is fully ready to give a crushing response to enemies.
- India to Place Missile Defense Shield in Delhi, Mumbai RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2012 -- Delhi and Mumbai, two most populated cities of India, will be protected by the missile defense system, the Times of India reported on Sunday.
- In call, UN chief expresses deep concern over Turkish fighter jet shot down over Syria UN News Centre 24 Jun 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has expressed his deep concern about the shooting down of a Turkish military jet shot over Syria – and particularly about the potential serious implications of the incident for the region – in a telephone call on Saturday with Turkey's Foreign Minister, Ahmet Davutoglu.
- Lavrov rejects exporting military equipment to Syria IRNA 24 Jun 2012 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov denied the recent allegations by the Western media regarding dispatch of military aircraft to Syria.
- NATO To Meet In Wake Of Syrian Downing Of Turkish Jet RFE/RL 24 Jun 2012 -- Turkey has called for an extraordinary meeting of the NATO military alliance to discuss what it calls Syria's "aggressive" downing of a Turkish fighter jet over the Mediterranean.
- Turkey Accuses Syria of Downing Warplane in International Air Space RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2012 -- Turkey's Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has accused Syria of shooting down a Turkish warplane in international air space.
- Lavrov Dismisses Claims of New Helicopter Shipments to Syria RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2012 -- The Russian ship MV Alaed carried overhauled disassembled helicopters to Syria and not new gunships as was claimed by western media, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Sunday.
- Wreckage of Downed Turkish Plane Located RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2012 -- Rescue teams have located the wreckage of a Turkish jet shot down by Syria's air defense forces, TRT state television reported on Sunday.
- Western Powers Condemn Syria for Downing Turkish Jet VOA 24 Jun 2012 -- Western powers have condemned Syria for shooting down a Turkish military jet in a maritime border area, and have pledged to cooperate with Ankara in holding Damascus to account for Friday's incident.
- Tuareg Rebels in Mali Appeal to Bruised Local Population VOA 24 Jun 2012 -- Tuareg rebels in northern Mali are looking to reconcile with an angry local population. Residents there say rebels know they will have to co-exist with the people whether the future brings a negotiated solution or military intervention.
- Islamist Militants in Northern Mali Mix Punishment, Charity VOA 24 Jun 2012 -- Residents of northern Mali say Islamist militant groups currently running parts of the region are trying to win hearts and minds with an odd mix of punishment and charity.
- Islamist Morsi Wins Egypt's Presidential Election VOA 24 Jun 2012 -- The Muslim Brotherhood's Mohamed Morsi has been elected the next president of Egypt. The victory for the long-repressed Islamist group begins a new act in a central drama of the nation's politics over the past 60 years - the Brotherhood versus the military. Morsi addressed the nation late Sunday.
- Egypt's New President Faces Power Struggle with Military, says analyst VOA 24 Jun 2012 -- A researcher with Human Rights Watch (HRW) predicts the power struggle in Egypt will continue between the Muslim Brotherhood and the military council.
- Ban welcomes conclusion of Egypt's presidential elections UN News Centre 24 Jun 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon welcomes the conclusion of Egypt's presidential election process following the release of official results, his spokesperson said today.
- World Leaders React to Egypt's Election Results VOA 24 Jun 2012 -- A sampling of international reaction to Egypt's announcement of Islamist Mohammed Morsi as the winner of the country's presidential election:
- Islamist Morsi Wins Egyptian Presidency RFE/RL 24 Jun 2012 -- Egypt's election commission has declared Muhammad Morsi of the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood the country's new president.
- Islamist Morsi Wins Egypt's Presidential Election VOA 24 Jun 2012 -- Muslim Brotherhood candidate Mohamed Morsi has been declared the winner of Egypt's presidential run-off.
- Ecuador Mulls Giving Julian Assange Asylum VOA 24 Jun 2012 -- Ecuador says it is giving serious consideration to giving Julian Assange political asylum, after the founder of the WikiLeaks website made the request at the country's embassy in London. British authorities say they will arrest Assange if he leaves the embassy.
- Brother Says Jailed Doctor 'Disgraced' By U.S. After Helping Find Bin Laden RFE/RL 24 Jun 2012 -- The brother of a Pakistani doctor who was jailed after allegedly helping the CIA track down Osama bin Laden says the United States has "disgraced" his brother and put his family under "severe stress."
- Chinese Astronauts Complete First Manual Space Docking RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2012 -- Three Chinese astronauts have successfully completed a manual docking between the Shenzhou-9 spacecraft and the orbiting Tiangong-1 lab module in the first such attempt in China's history of space exploration, Xinhua news agency reported on Sunday.
- Chinese Astronauts Conduct First Manual Spacecraft Docking VOA 24 Jun 2012 -- China has conducted its first-ever manual docking between a spacecraft and an orbiting space module.
- Tymoshenko Not to be Summoned to Court RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2012 -- Jailed Ukrainian ex-Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko will not be summoned on Monday to court hearing in which she is accused of financial fraud during her tenure as head of the United Energy Systems of Ukraine corporation in the 1990s, the Ukrainian penitentiary authority said on Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|