06 May 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
Defense Policy / Programs
- Arraignment Ends as Legal Teams Gird for Long 9/11 Trial AFPS 06 May 2012 -- Defense and prosecution teams said today they expect the trial of five alleged 9/11 co-conspirators to take many months or years, while family members of those killed Sept. 11, 2001, said they're glad the trial is in the military's hands.
- Enterprise, CVW-1 Support Operation Enduring Freedom NNS 06 May 2012 -- Aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65) and Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 1 began flying combat missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), May 1.
- CSG-1, Royal Australian Defense Forces Team Up NNS 06 May 2012 -- USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) welcomed six Royal Australian Defense Force (RADF) officers aboard, April 29 - May 2, giving them an opportunity to observe a U.S. aircraft carrier in action as the ship continues its deployment in the U.S. 7th Fleet area of operations.
- Blue Ridge Concludes Cambodia Port Visit NNS 06 May 2012 -- Sailors from U.S. 7th Fleet flagship USS Blue Ridge (LCC 19) and Marines assigned to Fleet Antiterrorism Security Team Pacific (FASTPAC) completed a port visit to Shihanoukville, Cambodia, May 5.
- Vicksburg Completes Replenishment at Sea NNS 06 May 2012 -- Guided-missile cruiser USS Vicksburg (CG 69) performed a replenishment at sea (RAS) with Military Sealift Command fast combat support ship USNS Suppy (T-AOE 6), May 3.
- Makin Island, Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Groups Turnover Duties NNS 06 May 2012 -- The Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) were relieved of their duties in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility (AOR) by the Iwo Jima ARG and the 24th MEU, May 5.
- USS Jason Dunham Takes Part in VBSS Exercise NNS 06 May 2012 -- Members of the visit, board, search and seizure (VBSS) team aboard the guided-missile destroyer USS Jason Dunham (DDG 109) conducted a simulated boarding of training support vessel Prevail (TSV 1), May 6.
- India's missile defence shield ready IRNA 06 May 2012 -- India has developed missile defence shield which can be put in place at short notice to protect at least two cities, bringing the country on par with an elite group of few nations.
- Commander advises foreign forces not to do anything against Iran IRNA 06 May 2012 -- Commander of Iran's Khatam al-Anbiya Air Defense Base Brigadier General Farzad Esmaili on Sunday advised extra-regional forces not to do anything against Iran given the fact that they have already witnessed the consequences of their interference.
- Syria Prepares for Election VOA 06 May 2012 -- Syria is set to hold parliamentary elections on Monday [May 7, 2012], even as violence between government and opposition forces continues across the country.
- France Elects First Socialist President in Nearly Two Decades VOA 06 May 2012 -- Francois Hollande has been elected France's first Socialist president in nearly two decades, beating incumbent Nicolas Sarkozy in a vote marked by anger over austerity measures, high unemployment and the country's lagging economy. Initial official results of Sunday's vote show Hollande winning with 52 percent of the vote.
- France's Holland Declares Victory In Presidential Election, Urges Unity RFE/RL 06 May 2012 -- Socialist Francois Hollande has declared victory in France’s presidential election, following a bitter campaign against Nicolas Sarkozy.
- Exit Polls: Top Greek Parties Suffer Major Election Losses VOA 06 May 2012 -- Greek voters have punished the two main parties for imposing unpopular economic austerity measures demanded by the European Union.
- Serbs Voting In Presidential, Parliamentary Elections RFE/RL 06 May 2012 -- Serbs are voting in simultaneous presidential, parliamentary, and local elections.
- Biden: US Ready to Give Visa to Chinese Activist VOA 06 May 2012 -- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden says Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng's future is in the United States, and that he expects China to abide by a deal that would allow the dissident to study in the United States, accompanied by his family.
- UN official appeals for urgent funds to assist millions across Africa's Sahel region UN News Centre 06 May 2012 -- Speaking from Niger, a top United Nations official on Sunday appealed to the international community to provide the resources needed to help millions in crisis in the Sahel region of West Africa, warning that the situation is critical and there is no time to lose.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|