25 April 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 25 Apr 2012 [PDF]
- Afghan-led Force Kills Haqqani Leader AFPS 25 Apr 2012 -- An Afghan-led security force killed Namat, a Haqqani leader, during an operation conducted in the Nadir Shah Kot district of Afghanistan's Khost province today, military officials reported.
- NATO Committee Chairman Reaffirms Afghanistan Commitment AFPS 25 Apr 2012 -- The chairman of NATO's military committee today reaffirmed the alliance's commitment to Afghanistan in remarks opening a conference of defense chiefs at NATO headquarters here.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Dempsey Orders Review of Courses Dealing With Islam AFPS 25 Apr 2012 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has ordered the directors of joint military education institutions and combatant commanders to examine the scope and content of training and education courses dealing with Islamic extremism to ensure they are appropriate and in keeping with U.S. values and principles.
- NATO Military Leaders Meet in Brussels AFPS 25 Apr 2012 -- Military leaders from NATO and partner nations discussed the present and future of the effort in Afghanistan and other topics during the first day of a conference at NATO headquarters here today.
- CSAF discusses 'evolving force' with deployed Airmen AFNS 25 Apr 2012 -- The Air Force chief of staff visited Airmen from the 438th Air Expeditionary Wing and the International Security Assistance Force Joint Command April 23 at Kabul International Airport, Afghanistan, to talk about current Air Force issues.
- U.S. Supports Pushback Against Lord's Resistance Army AFPS 25 Apr 2012 -- The United States is part of a successful effort to help counter the Lord's Resistance Army in Central Africa, but a four-pillared approach to neutralizing the terrorist group must continue, senior defense, diplomatic and aid officials told senators here yesterday.
- Panetta Calls for Closer Military Relations With Brazil AFPS 25 Apr 2012 -- The relationship between the United States and Brazil is between two global powers, and American officials welcome the warming ties with the South American powerhouse, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said during a speech to Brazil's Superior War College in Rio de Janeiro today.
- Gimlets gain counter-IED knowledge on Korean Peninsula Army News 25 Apr 2012 -- Soldiers from 1st Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment, 'Gimlets,' 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division received counter improvised explosive device training during their recent deployment to the Republic of Korea, April 1-30.
- 2nd Explosive Ordnance Disposal Company completes deployment, 1st EOD Co. takes over in Afghanistan USMC News 25 Apr 2012 -- While there was no official ceremony signifying the transfer of authority from one Explosive Ordnance Disposal Company to the next, the guidon outside the EOD compound on Camp Leatherneck, Afghanistan, now belongs to 1st EOD Co., 1st Marine Logistics Group (Forward).
- USS George H.W Bush Completes Ammunitions Offload NNS 25 Apr 2012 -- USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) offloaded some of the ammunition it carried during her 2011 deployment March 21 in the first part of a two-part evolution.
- Iwo Jima ARG, 24th MEU Complete Strait of Gibraltar Transit NNS 25 Apr 2012 -- The Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) completed their transit of the Strait of Gibraltar, April 24.
- Lucky Mariner 2012 Kicks Off in Arabian Gulf NNS 25 Apr 2012 -- In an effort to combat against mining threats in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility (AOR), personnel from Naval Cooperation and Guidance for Shipping (NCAGS), Military Sealift Command and U.S. Naval Forces Central Command (NAVCENT) arrived for exercise Lucky Mariner 2012, April 15.
- VFA-2 Changes Command NNS 25 Apr 2012 -- The Bounty Hunters of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 2 held a change of command ceremony, April 25, while deployed with USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72).
- NMLC Assists Djibouti, Africa EMF Develop Equipment Solutions NNS 25 Apr 2012 -- Naval Medical Logistics Command (NMLC) located at Fort Detrick, Md., conducted its first assist visit to the Expeditionary Medical Facility in Camp Lemonier, Djibouti April 17-22, to provide assistance with equipment and to resolve maintenance issues there.
- Maritime Security a Team Effort in Exercise Saharan Express 2012 NNS 25 Apr 2012 -- Ten ships from 12 host nations kicked-off Saharan Express 2012, a multinational exercise in support of Africa Partnership Station (APS), at the pre-sail conference in Dakar April 23.
- Pakistan tests nuclear-capable missile IRNA 25 Apr 2012 -- Pakistan on Wednesday successfully conducted the launch of intermediate range ballistic nuclear capable missile, the military said.
- Pakistan Successfully Test Fires Upgraded Missile VOA 25 Apr 2012 -- Pakistan's military said it successfully test-fired an upgraded Shaheen-1 missile Wednesday. The Shaheen-1 is capable of hitting targets in India with a nuclear weapon, and this upgraded version is thought to have an even longer reach.
- North Korea Boasts of Ability to Destroy US Military in 'Single Blow' VOA 25 Apr 2012 -- North Korea's army marked its 80th anniversary Wednesday with a vow to retaliate against what its chief of staff terms the traitors in the South. The remarks are the latest in a series of harsh threats directed at Seoul in recent weeks.
- Rogozin Recalled as NATO Missile Defense Envoy RIA Novosti 25 Apr 2012 -- Outgoing President Dmitry Medvedev on Wednesday relieved Dmitry Rogozin of his duties as Russia's representative to NATO over a planned U.S.-led missile shield in Europe, the Kremlin's press service said.
- Hellfire-first as Apaches exercise with Navy off Scotland UK MOD 25 Apr 2012 -- Army Apache helicopters, launched from HMS Illustrious off the Scottish coast, have fired tank-busting Hellfire missiles in the UK for the first time, during one of the biggest military exercises of the year.
- Ukrainian Submarine Sails for Sea Trials RIA Novosti 25 Apr 2012 -- Ukraine's only submarine, the Zaporozhye, has left the port of Sevastopol on the Black Sea for sea trials for the first time after many years of repairs.
- Turkey to stage maritime exercise under Iran supervision IRNA 25 Apr 2012 -- For the first ever, Turkey Army's navy is to stage the `Sea Lion-2012' maneuver, under supervision of Iranian military forces in the Aegean Sea in Izmir coasts on Thursday.
- Ukraine on Brink of Missile Deal with India - Media RIA Novosti 25 Apr 2012 -- Ukraine is close to signing one of its biggest ever defense deals for air-to-air missiles with India, according to Russian media reports.
- April 25, 2012 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 25 Apr 2012
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Jay Carney Aboard Air Force One, 4/25/12 The White House 25 Apr 2012
- 25 April 2012 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 25 Apr 2012
- UN has key role in boosting security against cross-border threats – Ban UN News Centre 25 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today stressed the need for effective strategies to help States monitor, control and secure their borders against the illicit flows of materials and goods, as well as people, highlighting how the United Nations is playing a crucial role in this area.
- More UN Observers Arrive as Syrian Cease-fire Continues Unraveling VOA 25 Apr 2012 -- Syrian government tanks and artillery pounded the Damascus suburb of Douma Wednesday, as an almost two-week old cease-fire continues to unravel. Four more U.N. observers have also arrived in the Syrian capital, despite comments by international envoy Kofi Annan that prospects for the cease-fire working are 'bleak.'
- Seven Killed in Syria as More UN Monitors Arrive VOA 25 Apr 2012 -- Activists say Syrian forces killed at least seven people on Wednesday as a small group of U.N. observers resumed their mission to monitor a shaky truce in the government's year-long conflict with rebels.
- South Sudanese Leader Shortens China Trip VOA 25 Apr 2012 -- South Sudan's President Salva Kiir is cutting short a trip to China because of what a Chinese official called 'domestic issues.'
- UN humanitarian official calls on donors to support ongoing Pakistan relief effort UN News Centre 25 Apr 2012 -- A senior United Nations humanitarian official has commended the ongoing efforts to assist some 7.2 million people affected by flooding and insecurity in Pakistan, while urging donors to step up support to sustain the response.
- Private Company Announces Asteroid Mining Plans RIA Novosti 25 Apr 2012 -- Planetary Resources, Inc. will mine Near-Earth Asteroids (NEAs) for raw materials, ranging from water to precious metals, the company said in a statement.
- First Private Spacecraft Launch to ISS Delayed RIA Novosti 25 Apr 2012 -- Dragon, the first private spacecraft to be launched to the International Space Station (ISS), is scheduled to blast off on May 7, a week later than previously scheduled, NASA said on its website.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|