22 April 2012 Military News
- Chairman's Afghanistan Visit Focuses on Afghan Forces' Progress AFPS 22 Apr 2012 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff will focus on progress in Afghanistan's national security forces during a visit here.
- Afghanistan, US Agree on Strategic Agreement VOA 22 Apr 2012 -- Afghanistan and the United States have finalized a strategic partnership agreement outlining their relationship following the 2014 withdrawal of Western combat troops from the country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Dempsey Meets With Jordan's Defense Chief, Moves on to Afghanistan AFPS 22 Apr 2012 -- Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, met today with his counterpart in Jordan's capital of Amman before flying here for the second leg of an overseas trip.
- US Lawmaker Dismisses Iran's Claims of Building Drone Copy VOA 22 Apr 2012 -- The chairman of the U.S. Senate's Homeland Security Committee is dismissing Iran's claim that it has reverse-engineered a U.S. spy drone it captured last year.
- Navy Commander says Iran is dominant power in Strait of Hormuz IRNA 22 Apr 2012 -- Islamic Revolution Guard Corps Navy Commander General Ali Fadavi said Iran is not only a supervisor but the dominant power in the Persian Gulf and Strait of Hormuz.
- Supreme Leader inspects achievements of Army's ground forces IRNA 22 Apr 2012 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei on Sunday inspected the achievements of ground forces of Army of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Supreme Leader: Armed Forces following religious commands, serving national interests IRNA 22 Apr 2012 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei said on Sunday that the Armed Forces are following the religious commands serving national interest.
- Taiwan declines to comment on report of U.S. sale of frigates CNA 22 Apr 2012 -- The Republic of China Navy declined Sunday to comment on a report in local media that the United States will sell Taiwan four frigates to help rejuvenate the country's aging fleet.
- Fighting in Syria Kills 17 as UN Monitors Visit 2 Towns VOA 22 Apr 2012 -- Syrian activists say attacks by government and rebel forces have killed 16 people across the country as a small U.N. team visited more towns to monitor a 10-day old truce that has failed to end the year-long conflict.
- LRA Remains a Serious Threat in Central African Republic - Human Rights Watch VOA 22 Apr 2012 -- An international human rights group has accused the Uganda Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) rebel group of increased attacks in the Central African Republic (CAR) and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Threat of Violence Remains as South Sudan Withdraws from Disputed Town VOA 22 Apr 2012 -- South Sudan's announcement that is withdrawing its forces from a disputed oil town has done little to relieve tension near the border. Reports of continued Sudanese air raids in southern territory underscore the constant threat of violence.
- Sanctions provided Iranian nation with opportunity: Boroujerdi IRNA 22 Apr 2012 -- Head of Majlis (Parliament) National Security and Foreign Policy said that the Iranian nation over past 30 years have turned the sanctions imposed on them into an opportunity for development and making progress in sciences and advanced technologies.
- Progress Freighter Docks with Space Station RIA Novosti 22 Apr 2012 -- Russia's Progress M-15M cargo spacecraft launched from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan on April 20 dock with the International Space Station on Sunday, a mission control spokesman said on Sunday.
- Tymoshenko Moved Back to Prison from Kharkov Clinic RIA Novosti 22 Apr 2012 -- Jailed former Ukrainian prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko has been moved back to a prison from a clinic in Kharkov, head of the group in defense of the ex-premier and member of the Ukrainian parliament Serhiy Vlasenko said on Sunday.
- Hollande Leads Sarkozy In French Presidential Election RFE/RL 22 Apr 2012 -- Early officials results from France's first round presidential election show Socialist candidate Francois Hollande and conservative President Nicolas Sarkozy will advance to a runoff vote on May 6.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|