19 April 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 19 Apr 2012 [PDF]
- Afghan, Coalition Forces Kill 13 Insurgents, Detain 6 Others AFPS 19 Apr 2012 -- Afghan and coalition forces killed 13 insurgents and captured six suspects during operations in eastern Afghanistan.
- Big Red One assumes mission in eastern Afghanistan Army News 19 Apr 2012 -- The 1st Infantry Division, known famously as the "Big Red One," took charge of military operations in eastern Afghanistan April 19 in a ceremony on Bagram Airfield.
- NATO Foreign Ministers and ISAF partners back Afghanistan through transition and beyond NATO 19 Apr 2012 -- Foreign ministers from NATO and ISAF partner nations and organisations discussed how they plan to back a successful transition in Afghanistan at talks at NATO headquarters on 19 April.
- Defence Secretary announces £70m for Afghan security forces UK MOD 19 Apr 2012 -- The UK will provide £70m a year to fund the Afghan National Security Forces after British combat operations end in Afghanistan in 2014.
- NATO Renews Commitment to Afghanistan VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- Foreign ministers from the NATO-led coalition in Afghanistan renewed their commitments to continue supporting the country's government and security forces during and after the transition to full Afghan control.
- Lavrov Concerned over U.S. Plans to Keep Afghan Bases RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov expressed concerns on Thursday over U.S. plans to keep its military contingent in Afghanistan after the pullout of international troops in 2014.
- Russia Undecided on NATO Afghanistan Summit RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- NATO has invited Russia to take part in its May summit on Afghanistan in Chicago, but Moscow says it is still undecided whether to accept the invitation.
- Karzai: Need for Faster Afghan Security Transition After Release of 'Disgusting' Photos VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai says the "disgusting" photos of U.S. soldiers posing with the dead bodies of insurgents only highlights the need for a faster foreign withdrawal from Afghanistan.
- Karzai Calls For 'Accelerated' Transition After U.S. Photos Release RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has called for an "accelerated" transition of security responsibilities from NATO forces.
- Massive Russian-U.S. Anti-Drug Raid Under Way in Afghanistan RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- Russian and U.S. special services are currently carrying out a large-scale anti-drug raid in Afghanistan.
- Afghanistan Drug Threat Persists - Lavrov RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- Moscow is concerned over the persisting threat of terrorism and drug trafficking from Afghanistan, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said during the Russia-NATO Council meeting.
- NATO-Russia counter-narcotics training reaches milestone NATO 19 Apr 2012 -- A NATO-Russia Council (NRC) project to train counter-narcotics personnel in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Central Asia reached a significant milestone in April.
- US Blames Haqqani Network for Afghanistan Attacks VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan Ryan Crocker said that there is "no question" the Pakistan-based Haqqani network was behind this week's coordinated attacks in Kabul and other eastern cities.
- DOD Identifies Unit for Upcoming Afghanistan Rotation DoD 19 Apr 2012
- Ukraine Offers Help in NATO Pullout from Afghanistan RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- Ukraine has offered NATO its air transport capability to help the Alliance withdraw its troops from Afghanistan.
- Afghan Heli Engineers Training in Russia - NATO Head RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- Afghan engineers who will maintain Russian-built helicopters for the Afghan armed forces are currently starting training in the Russian city of Novosibirsk.
- Prominent Taliban Militant Appears In Video After Escape RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- A prominent Pakistani Taliban fighter has appeared in a video following his recent escape from prison.
- Pakistan PM suggests roadmap for re-engagement with US IRNA 19 Apr 2012 -- Pakistan PM Yusuf Raza Gilani has said a roadmap for re-engagement with United States, negotiation of new terms of engagement and transparency in US diplomatic and intelligence footprint in Pakistan are country’s fundamental policy parameters.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. Missile Defense Counters Growing Threat AFPS 19 Apr 2012 -- Head of the Defense Department’s Missile Defense Agency testified on Capitol Hill about bolstering U.S. defenses against missile threat.
- NATO Chief Says Missile Defense Shield Will Not Threaten Russia RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has reiterated that the alliance's plan to build a missile-defense shield in Europe will not "threaten" Russia.
- U.S. Could Benefit From Russian Radars - Pentagon official RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- Missile defense cooperation with Russia, including the use of Russian radars, would benefit the United States, Director of the Missile Defense Agency Lt. Gen. Patrick O'Reilly said.
- Russian Military Orders Missile Early Warning Satellites RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has signed contracts on the development and construction of satellites capable of detecting launches of ballistic missiles.
- Statement by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen at the press point following the NATO-Russia Council meeting in Foreign Ministers session NATO 19 Apr 2012
- Opening remarks by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen at the NATO-Russia Council meeting in Foreign Ministers session NATO 19 Apr 2012
- Opening remarks by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen in the meeting of the NATO Ministers of Foreign Affairs with non-NATO ISAF contributing nations NATO 19 Apr 2012
- Press conference by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen after the meeting of the NATO Ministers of Foreign Affairs with non-NATO ISAF contributing nations NATO 19 Apr 2012
- Chairman’s statement: Meeting of the NATO-Russia Council at the level of Foreign Ministers held in Brussels on 19 April 2012 NATO 19 Apr 2012
- NATO-Russia Ministers discuss closer cooperation NATO 19 Apr 2012 -- NATO foreign ministers together with their Russian counterpart, Sergey Lavrov, marked 10 years of increased bilateral cooperation under the NATO-Russia Council at talks on 19 April.
- Detainee Transfer Announced DoD 19 Apr 2012
- Comptroller: Panetta Directive Pushes Audit Readiness AFPS 19 Apr 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta’s order last year for the Defense Department to conduct a full budget audit in 2014 is pushing the department to become audit-ready sooner than it otherwise would have.
- Clinton, Panetta Discuss Diplomatic, Defense Policies AFPS 19 Apr 2012 -- The world is full of threats, and the United States must be prepared for them, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer in an interview.
- F-35 Team Hits Weapons Testing Mark NNS 19 Apr 2012 -- The F-35 Integrated Test team at Naval Air Station Patuxent River announced April 16 the completion of a weapons testing milestone.
- New fermenters give boost to biological agent defense at Dugway Army News 19 Apr 2012 -- The fermenters will be used exclusively to produce strains of bacteria.
- AF to rely more on renewable energy - 1 gigawatt by 2016 AFNS 19 Apr 2012 -- The Air Force is on target to generate 1 gigawatt of renewable energy by 2016, and expects to have enough renewable energy to supply 25 percent of all installation electricity use by 2025.
- 10th CAB receives UH-60M Black Hawk helicopters Army News 19 Apr 2012 -- The 10th Combat Aviation Brigade received the first of many UH-60M Black Hawk helicopters last month to ensure they can continue to support service members deployed overseas.
- 'Vanguard' forward observers field M1200 Armored Knight Army News 19 Apr 2012 -- While the M1200 Knight is not new to the "Vanguard" brigade, most leaders and Soldiers in the course have not used the equipment in garrison or combat environments.
- Korea Exercise Lets Battalion Stretch Its Wings AFPS 19 Apr 2012 -- Exercise Foal Eagle – an annual training exercise in South Korea – has given a Hawaii-based battalion an opportunity to spread its wings.
- Russia, U.S. to Hold Joint Anti-Terror Drills RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- A detachment from the Russian Airborne Assault Forces will go to the United States in May for a joint anti-terror exercise.
- USARAF conducts first AT/FP Level II training in Africa Army News 19 Apr 2012 -- The first Antiterrorism/Force Protection Level II class to take place in Africa included 16 students from different areas of responsibility throughout the continent.
- Laboratory Analyzes Shrapnel to Look for Uranium AFPS 19 Apr 2012 -- Military doctors here are examining shrapnel taken from service members and veterans, looking for depleted uranium and other metals.
- NAVFAC Hawaii Awards Contract for USMC Airfield Ops Complex at Kaneohe NNS 19 Apr 2012 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Hawaii awarded a contract for a much needed airfield operations, air terminal complex, and aircraft rescue & fire station at Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe to dck-ecc pacific guam, LLC, of Clairton, Pa., April 18.
- Russia Cuts 2012 Defense Spend by Almost $1 Bln RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- Russia will reduce defense spending for 2012 by 25 billion rubles ($833 million), Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Sukhorukov said.
- Russia Signs $35-Mln Missile Contract with Malaysia RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- Russia and Malaysia have signed a $35-million contract on the delivery of RVV-AE air-to-air missiles for the Malaysian air force.
- India Declares Itself Major Missile Power VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- India said it successfully test-fired a new missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead as far as Beijing - announcing itself as a major "missile power."
- Success of Agni-5 a major milestone in India’s quest to its security: PM IRNA 19 Apr 2012 -- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh hailed the test firing of Inter Continental Ballistic Missile Agni V.
- India Test Fires Long-Range Nuclear-Capable Missile VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- India has test fired a long-range, nuclear-capable missile which can reach targets in China and Europe.
- Maiden test-fire of India's 'Agni-V' missile successful IRNA 19 Apr 2012 -- India conducted a successful test-fire of its indigenously developed nuclear capable 'Agni-V' ballistic missile.
- India Launches Long-Range Missile RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- Indian officials say they have successfully tested a long-range ballistic missile capable of delivering a warhead to Beijing or other major Chinese cities.
- India Tests First Intercontinental Ballistic Missile RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- India tested its first long-range intercontinental ballistic missile able to carry a nuclear warhead deep into China or Europe.
- South Korea Says New Missile Can Hit Any Target in North VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- South Korea is deploying a new cruise missile capable of hitting targets anywhere in North Korea.
- South Korea Places New Cruise Missile in Service RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- South Korea has put into service a new long-range cruise missile, capable of striking missile sites or nuclear installations in any part of neighboring North Korea.
- Taiwan's anti-paratroop combat capability tested in annual drill CNA 19 Apr 2012 -- An exercise to test Taiwan's anti-paratroop combat readiness was conducted in northern Taiwan.
- Taiwan-made landing craft makes first appearance at annual drill CNA 19 Apr 2012 -- The military conducted two drills on beaches in southern Taiwan, with one of them featuring a newly-deployed locally made landing craft for the first time in an exercise.
- IRI Commander: Military might appropriate with threats IRNA 19 Apr 2012 -- IRI Army Commander: Army, like entire other armed forces of Iran, has increased its might and capabilities parallel and appropriate with posed threats against our country.
- Army Commander: US unilateralist policies crisis builder IRNA 19 Apr 2012 -- IRI Army Commander said US unilateralist policies and overt and covert interventions here and there in world, such as its missile defense shield that is spreading regional among Muslim countries has become crisis builder.
- Multiple-Launch Rocket Systems Presented to KPA Units KCNA 19 Apr 2012 -- Multiple-launch rocket systems "Sonyon-ho" and "Nyomaeng-ho" were presented to units of the Korean People's Army.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 4/19/12 The White House 19 Apr 2012
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, April 19, 2012 US Dept. of State 19 Apr 2012
- Secretary Clinton Interview With Wolf Blitzer of CNN US Dept. of State 19 Apr 2012
- UN chief: Security Council has vital role in combating threats of nuclear proliferation UN News Centre 19 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban highlighted the vital role played by the Security Council in combating the threat of nuclear proliferation.
- SECURITY: Suspending diplomacy in the interests of conversation IRIN 19 Apr 2012 -- On the surface it had all the trappings of a gathering of current and former heads of state.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks at the Ad Hoc Ministerial Meeting on Syria US Dept. of State 19 Apr 2012
- Panetta, Dempsey Agree International Accord Needed on Syria AFPS 19 Apr 2012 -- Syria is in the midst of a tense, fluid and dangerous time, and the U.S. military stands ready to do whatever mission the president and Congress assign to it.
- Clinton Calls for Tough Sanctions If Syria Ignores UN Peace Plan VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has called for tough U.N. sanctions to be imposed on Syria if it fails to implement a U.N.-backed peace plan.
- US Defense Secretary: Pentagon Ready to Help Protect Syrian People VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta told a congressional panel on that the Pentagon is providing "nonlethal aid" to the civilian-led opposition in Syria.
- Syria: Ban reports ‘troubling’ situation UN News Centre 19 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban said the situation on the ground remains highly precarious, despite the Government’s stated commitment to cease all violence.
- UN Security Council Considers Larger Syria Monitoring Mission VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- The U.N. Security Council is considering a request from the secretary-general to deploy up to 300 monitors to Syria, as a week-old truce is tested by reports of escalating violence.
- Ban Says UN Syria Mission 'Critical' RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- UN Secretary-General has urged the Security Council to quickly approve an expanded cease-fire monitoring mission in Syria.
- UN, Syria Agree to New Peace Outline VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- Syria's government and the United Nations have agreed on a plan for implementing the peace agreement brokered by U.N.-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan.
- Damascus, UN Agree On Rules For Monitors RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- Officials say Syria and the UN have reached a protocol agreement on the deployment of observers for the country's cease-fire.
- Syria, UN Agree on Terms of Ceasefire Monitoring RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- Syria and the United Nations have signed a preliminary deal on the deployment of observers to monitor a ceasefire between government and opposition forces.
- UN Chief Says Syria Hasn't Fully Complied With Annan Peace Plan RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon says Syria had not fully complied with its obligations to withdraw troops and heavy weapons from flashpoint towns and cities in Syria.
- Syria 'Fails to Keep Truce' - UN Chief RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- Syria has failed to meet its obligations under a UN-backed peace plan to withdraw troops and heavy weapons from residential areas, the UN Secretary General said.
- No Arms Supplies to Syria Opposition, France Says RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- France has no intention to supply arms to the Syrian opposition and is ready to discuss the UN and Arab League’s peace plan, French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said.
- Russia Stays Away From Paris Meeting on Syria RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said Russia’s refusal to attend an international ministerial meeting on Syria in Paris isolated the country from the Arab world and the international community.
- Iraqi Kurdish Region President, Turkish Officials Meet, Discuss Syria VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- The head of the Iraqi Kurdish region, Masoud Barzani, is visiting Turkey in a deepening of relations built on trade and growing shared regional interests.
- Insecurity, result of arming Syria’s rebellions: Mehmanparast IRNA 19 Apr 2012 -- Unrest, killings and insecurity are consequences of arming the rebellions and provoking civil war in Syria, Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said.
- India welcomes General Kayani's statement on Siachen IRNA 19 Apr 2012 -- India welcomed Pakistani Army Chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani's remarks on resolving the Siachen issue and demilitarisation there.
- China Sends Second Boat to Standoff with Philippines VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- The nine-day-old naval standoff between China and the Philippines showed few signs of cooling, with Beijing sending a powerful military vessel toward the disputed islands in the South China Sea.
- Iran underlines sovereignty over 3 Persian Gulf islands IRNA 19 Apr 2012 -- Iranian diplomatic mission to the United Nations in a letter to UNSC rotating chairman strongly refuted baseless claims made by cerrtain Arab countries about Iran’s territorial integrity.
- UN envoy urges Iraqis to remain steadfast against threats UN News Centre 19 Apr 2012 -- The top United Nations envoy in Iraq has called on the Iraqi people to remain steadfast amid attempts to derail the country’s quest for democracy and stability.
- Dozens Killed in Iraq Bombings VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- A series of explosions rocked the Iraqi capital Baghdad and other parts of the country, killing at least 35 people and wounding more than 100 others.
- Spate Of Bomb Blasts Hit Baghdad, Other Iraqi Cities RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- A series of about 10 bomb blasts have been reported in Baghdad and several other Iraqi cities.
- Fugitive Iraqi Vice President Meets Kurdish Leader In Istanbul RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- Iraq's fugitive vice president has met in Istanbul with Massud Barzani, the leader of the Iraqi semiautonomous Kurdish region.
- US: Sudan and South Sudan Want to Avoid 'All-Out War' VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- The United States says Sudan and South Sudan want to find a way to avoid "all-out war," following violence across their border.
- South Sudan Says Not at War With Sudan VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- South Sudan said Sudan has launched four new attacks in the last 24 hours on the as yet undefined border that the sides have been fighting over for weeks.
- Sudan's Bashir Escalates Threat of War Against South VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir is threatening war against South Sudan, as fighting continues along the two countries' border.
- UN Chief: S. Sudan Heglig Seizure 'Illegal' VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- The United Nations chief says South Sudan's seizure of the Heglig oil fields is illegal and violates the sovereignty of neighboring Sudan.
- Sudan and South Sudan do not need another war, Ban stresses UN News Centre 19 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today urged Sudan and South Sudan to end their hostilities, stressing that they must avoid a return to conflict, which has already cost them millions of lives over two decades.
- Nigerian Minister Mildly Critical of US Terror Warning VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- Nigeria’s information minister, Labaran Maku, said his country’s security forces have made enormous progress in combating Boko Haram.
- Briefing: DDR in CAR - hopes and hurdles IRIN 19 Apr 2012 -- Pacifying the six rebel groups that hold sway across the north and northeast of the Central African Republic is both a key component of the country’s security reform and a prerequisite for the economic development needed to end the spiral of violence and criminality.
- UGANDA: Land disputes threaten northern peace IRIN 19 Apr 2012 -- Inter-communal disputes over land and the allocation of land to private investors for cultivation, could threaten peace in parts of northern Uganda, warn officials.
- Albanian, Macedonian Presidents Call For Calm After Murders RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- The presidents of Macedonia and Albania are appealing for calm after the murder of five Macedonians last week.
- Russia Delivers Humanitarian Aid to Libya RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- The Russian emergencies ministry’s plane landed in the Libyan capital Tripoli to deliver humanitarian aid.
- Breakaway Georgian Region Swears In Ex-KGB Boss As Leader RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- Georgia's breakaway region of South Ossetia has inaugurated a former KGB security-services boss as its president after months of political turmoil in the Russian-backed province.
- UN tribunal dismisses genocide suspect’s bid to have transfer to Rwanda stayed UN News Centre 19 Apr 2012 -- The appeals chamber of the UN tribunal trying key suspects implicated in the 1994 genocide in Rwanda dismissed a motion filed by an indicted suspect to stay of his transfer to the Rwandan judicial system for trial.
- Defense Experts: N. Korea Missile Truck Possible Violation of Sanctions VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- Western experts say a vehicle carrying a missile that was recently glimpsed in a North Korean military parade looks to be designed by China.
- N. Korea Threatens to 'Blow up' Seoul Over Hurt Pride RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- North Korea has threatened military action against the South unless Seoul apologizes for "insulting" last week's celebrations of the centenary of the birth of its late founding leader Kim Il-sung.
- N.Korea Space Program no Threat to U.S. - Missile Defense Chief RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- North Korea is far from being able to threaten the United States with a long-range missile, Director of the Missile Defense Agency Lt. Gen. Patrick O'Reilly said.
- S. Korean Regime Accused of Desecrating Day of Sun Events KCNA 19 Apr 2012 -- The DPRK government, political parties and organizations issued the following statement.
- DPRK's Satellites for Peaceful Purposes to Continue Orbiting Space KCNA 19 Apr 2012 -- A spokesman for the Korean Committee for Space Technology released the following statement.
- Kim Jong Un Calls for Holding Kim Jong Il in High Esteem as General Secretary of WPK Forever KCNA 19 Apr 2012 -- Rodong Sinmun carried "Let Us Hold Great Comrade Kim Jong Il in High Esteem as General Secretary of Our Party Forever and Successfully Accomplish the Revolutionary Cause of Juche", a talk the dear respected Kim Jong Un had with leading officials of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- Kim Jong Un Has Picture Taken with Creative Staff of Mansudae Art Studio KCNA 19 Apr 2012 -- Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea, first chairman of the DPRK National Defence Commission and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, had a picture taken with officials, creators and employees of the Mansudae Art Studio.
- Israeli Leaders Vow to Prevent Iran from Obtaining Nukes RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- Israeli leaders vowed to prevent Iran from getting nuclear weapons, saying it was a threat to the existence of the Jewish state.
- Iran excludes Britain, France from its oil exports list IRNA 19 Apr 2012 -- Iran will continue its oil exports to other countries excluding Britain and France, Oil Minister Rostam Qasemi said.
- Iran Asks For Help To 'Purify' Internet RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- Iran’s Ministry of Communications and Information Technology is apparently seeking domestic partners to help with its Internet-filtering efforts.
- Statement by the President on Yom HaShoah The White House 19 Apr 2012
- Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta: Holocaust Remembrance Day Observance DoD 19 Apr 2012
- Panetta Honors Victims, Survivors in Holocaust Remembrance Event AFPS 19 Apr 2012 -- “Today we pause to remember and honor 6 million souls who were murdered not because of anything they had done, but because of who they were,” Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said.
- Israel Remembers Victims of Nazi Holocaust VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- Sirens wailed across Israel Thursday, as the country paid tribute to the six million Jewish people who perished in the Nazi Holocaust some 70 years ago.
- Arab Spring Drives Up Global Numbers of Internally Displaced VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- A new report by the Norwegian Refugee Council finds 26.4 million people were internally displaced by conflicts around the world last year.
- Egyptian Voters Weigh Options in Narrowed Presidential Field VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- Just weeks before Egyptians go to the polls, many voters remain undecided about who should be their first post-revolution president.
- Burmese Reforms Lead to Softening of Foreign Sanctions VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- Political reform in Burma has led some countries to lift decades-old sanctions imposed in response to long-running rights abuses.
- Thai PM's Visit to China a Sign of Beijing's Rising Influence VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- Thailand and China want to boost annual bilateral trade to $100 billion by 2015, a goal set during this week's vist to Beijing by Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.
- Bo Xilai Still Admired Locally in China VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- Chinese state media are painting former Communist Party leader Bo Xilai as a fallen star, tainted by corruption and an allegedly murderous wife.
- ECOWAS Rejects Guinea-Bissau Military Junta Two-Year Proposal VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- The Economic Community of West African States has condemned as illegal a proposal by Guinea-Bissau’s military junta to organize new elections after two years.
- Guinea-Bissau Ruling Party Rejects Junta Deal VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- Guinea-Bissau's African Party for the Independence of Guinea and Cape Verde says it will never recognize a power deal between a junta that seized control last week and a group of opposition parties.
- Restoration of constitutional order key to ending crisis in Guinea-Bissau – UN envoy UN News Centre 19 Apr 2012 -- The United Nations envoy for Guinea-Bissau urged that any solution for the current political crisis based on a process that reflects the will of the people and a commitment to the restoration of constitutional order.
- Congo President Chooses New PM VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- The Democratic Republic of Congo's President Joseph Kabila has chosen a new prime minister, Matata Ponyo Mapon.
- French Presidential Campaign Enters Final Phase VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- French voters will cast their ballots on 4/22/12 in the first round of a presidential election that should ultimately see France's first Socialist leader in nearly two decades.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|