15 April 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Attacks Grip Afghan Capital And Other Cities RFE/RL 15 Apr 2012 -- Afghan intelligence officials say security forces have repelled a wave of militant attacks in the capital and elsewhere.
- Taliban Attack Afghan Parliament, NATO Bases, and Western Embassies VOA 15 Apr 2012 -- Taliban militants launched a series of attacks on as many as seven sites across the Afghan capital and in three other cites Sunday, targeting NATO bases, the parliament and Western embassies. A Taliban spokesperson said the coordinated attacks were the beginning of a major spring offensive.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Galaxy rising: Positioning C-5 crews increases flight efficiency, saves fuel, money AFNS 15 Apr 2012 -- It's been said that 'flexibility is the key to airpower.' It's because of that 'flexibility' that Air Mobility Command officials are saving money by the millions and fuel in hundreds of thousands of gallons by positioning crews for C-5 Galaxy missions where they are needed without the expense of a permanent move.
- 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit 'Raven' flies the skies of Morocco USMC News 15 Apr 2012 -- Marines with the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit demonstrated the capabilities of the MEU's unmanned aerial system assets for members of the Royal Moroccan Armed Forces, April 12, at Inezgane Airfield.
- IAF facing critical shortages: Parliamentary Panel told IRNA 15 Apr 2012 -- The Indian Air Force (IAF) is facing 'critical deficiency' of trainer aircraft and simulators, fighter squadrons are depleting and some airfields do not have certain landing facilities, a parliamentary panel has been informed.
- Four Pacific Fleet's Warships Leave Russia for China RIA Novosti 15 Apr 2012 -- Four Russian warships from the Pacific Fleet, as well as support vessels, warplanes, helicopters and naval infantry, will leave Vladivostok on Sunday for a joint exercise with Chinese naval forces, a spokesman for the fleet said.
- Syrian Government Forces Shell Homs Before UN Visit RIA Novosti 15 Apr 2012 -- Syrian government forces have shelled the besieged city of Homs just hours before a team of UN observers visit Damascus, Sky News reported on Sunday, referring to Syrian activists.
- UN Chief Concerned by Fresh Violence in Syria VOA 15 Apr 2012 -- U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon voiced concern Sunday over the continuing violence in Syria, urging the government to do everything possible to maintain the fragile cease-fire.
- McCain Presses for Arming Syrian Rebels VOA 15 Apr 2012 -- A high-ranking U.S. senator is again calling for arming Syrian rebels as part of a more robust effort to oust President Bashar al-Assad. Republican Senator John McCain spoke on U.S. television as an advance team of unarmed U.N. observers was due to arrive in Syria.
- 'Huge' Attack Frees Hundreds Of Pakistani Prisoners RFE/RL 15 Apr 2012 -- An early morning attack on a jail in northwestern Pakistan has freed nearly 400 prisoners, including many men scheduled for execution.
- North Korean Leader Lauds Army in First Speech RIA Novosti 15 Apr 2012 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un reaffirmed the supremacy of North Korea’s military in his first public speech since he assumed power in December of last year.
- North Korea's Kim Jong-Un Looks to Cement His Position in Day of Celebration RIA Novosti 15 Apr 2012 -- The cement pavement on Kim Il-Sung square in Pyongyang shook as dozens of divisions of the Korean People’s Army goosestepped to a military brass band in perfect synchrony.
- North Korea's New Leader Makes Unprecedented Speech VOA 15 Apr 2012 -- North Koreans and the world, for the first time, heard the country's new, young leader, Kim Jong Un, speak in public Sunday.
- Military Parade Commemorating 100th Birth Anniversary of Kim Il Sung Held KCNA 15 Apr 2012 -- A military parade commemorating the 100th birth anniversary of President Kim Il Sung took place with splendor at Kim Il Sung Square Sunday.
- Kim Jong Un Speaks at Military Parade KCNA 15 Apr 2012 -- The dear respected Kim Jong Un made a congratulatory speech at the military parade celebrating the centenary of the birth of Generalissimo Kim Il Sung.
- Kim Jong Un Pays Tribute to Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il KCNA 15 Apr 2012 -- Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea, first chairman of the DPRK National Defence Commission and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, together with senior party, state and army officials visited the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun and paid tribute to President Kim Il Sung and General Secretary Kim Jong Il on Sunday, the Day of the Sun.
- KPA Exhibition of Arms and Equipment Opens KCNA 15 Apr 2012 -- An opening ceremony of the Exhibition of Arms and Equipment of the Korean People's Army was held with splendor on the occasion of the centenary of the birth of President Kim Il Sung.
- Salehi: IR Iran, G5+1 achieve common understanding IRNA 16 Apr 2012 -- Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said that Islamic Republic of Iran and the Group 5+1 have reached a common understanding in Istanbul.
- G5+1 acknowledged Iran's right to peaceful nuclear energy: Ryabkov IRNA 16 Apr 2012 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said on Sunday that the Group 5+1 has confirmed the entitlement of the Islamic Republic of Iran to peaceful nuclear energy based on non-proliferation treaty (NPT).
- Russian Foreign Ministry describes Iran, G5+1 talks as constructive IRNA 16 Apr 2012 -- Russian Foreign Ministry in an statement on Sunday announced that the Saturday's talks between Iran and G5+1 were held in a constructive atmosphere and based on mutual respect.
- Iran doctrine:Nuclear energy for all, nuclear weapon for no one IRNA 16 Apr 2012 -- Supreme National Security Council Secretary Saeed Jalili, by referring to Iran abilities in using peaceful nuclear energy, said Iran can be a successful model for all countries for motto of 'Nuclear energy for all, nuclear weapons for no one.'
- Parties in Guinea-Bissau Reject Military's Plan for Interim Gov't VOA 15 Apr 2012 -- Guinea-Bissau opposition parties met with coup leaders for a third straight day on Sunday, in a tense bid to resolve a political crisis that began when the military junta seized power last week.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|