18 March 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. Army Africa, Tennessee National Guard personnel journey to Uganda Army News 18 Mar 2012 -- Africa Deployment Assistance Partnership Teams personnel from U.S. Army Africa and Tennessee National Guard traveled to Uganda Feb. 20-24 to conduct Phase I training for 17 Army and 10 Air Force members of the Uganda People's Defense Force.
- Iran to boost its air defense capabilities: Commander IRNA 18 Mar 2012 -- Deputy head of Khatam-ul-Anbia Air Defense Headquarters for Intelligence Brigadier general Ameri said that the Islamic Republic of Iran will increase its air defense capabilities proportion to the enemy's capabilities.
- Bomb Explodes in Aleppo One Day After Deadly Damascus Attacks VOA 18 Mar 2012 -- A bomb has exploded in Syria's second-largest city of Aleppo, one day after a double car bombing in the capital, Damascus, killed 27 people and wounded more than 100.
- Pakistani officials recover 14 bodies in tribal region IRNA 18 Mar 2012 -- Security forces in a Pakistani restive tribal region have recovered 14 bullet-riddled bodies on Sunday.
- Rodong Sinmun on S. Korean Policy KCNA 18 Mar 2012 -- Jong Sung Jo, chairman of the south Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff, appeared at the airforce operational command in Phyongthaek of south Korea.
- KCNA on S. Korean Policy KCNA 18 Mar 2012 -- South Korean Minister of Defense Kim Kwan Jin and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Jong Sung Jo created confrontation.
- Iran welcomes Indian call for cooperation on anti-terror campaign IRNA 18 Mar 2012 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast on Sunday welcomed Indian Foreign Minister's call for cooperation on campaign against terrorism.
- Pakistan begins trial of Osama family IRNA 18 Mar 2012 -- Pakistan has started trial of the three widows of Osama bin Laden for illegal stay in the country, official sources said Sunday.
- Al-Qaida Says it Killed American Language Teacher in Yemen VOA 18 Mar 2012 -- A Yemeni militant group affiliated with al-Qaida says it has shot and killed an American teacher in southern Yemen for preaching Christianity.
- Launch of Satellite Kwangmyongsong-3 Is Legitimate Right of DPRK KCNA 18 Mar 2012 -- Some forces are letting loose a spate of gossip as regards the launch of Kwangmyongsong-3.
- Vote Counting Underway in Guinea Bissau Presidential Poll VOA 18 Mar 2012 -- Vote counting is underway in Guinea Bissau following Sunday's presidential election. Voting was calm, but the future of the coup-ridden West African country remains uncertain.
- Egypt's Copts Mourn Pope Shenouda, Wary of Future VOA 18 Mar 2012 -- Egypt is in mourning for the patriarch of the Coptic Church, Pope Shenouda, who died Saturday at the age of 88. The Coptic community is preparing both for his funeral and a future made more uncertain by the political ascendancy of Islamists.
- EU Condemns Minsk Bomber Execution, Calls for Moratorium RIA Novosti 18 Mar 2012 -- EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton called on the Belarusian leadership to introduce a death penalty execution moratorium and condemned the execution of Vladislav Kovalyov, one of the two men sentenced to death for their role in the 2011 Minsk subway blast.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|