01 March 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 01 Mar 2012 [PDF]
- ‘Green on Blue’ Deaths Won’t Derail Strategy, Spokesman Says AFPS 01 Mar 2012 -- Pentagon Press Secretary George Little: Three Afghan men killed two U.S. troops in southern Afghanistan today.
- Europe Remains Committed to Afghan Mission, Commander Says AFPS 01 Mar 2012 -- European countries strongly support continuing with the mission in Afghanistan despite violent uprisings there.
- Two More NATO Soldiers Shot Dead In Afghanistan RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- Western and Afghan officials say two American soldiers have been shot dead by two Afghans, including a man believed to be a soldier.
- UN Wants Disciplinary Action Against Quran Burners VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- The U.N. secretary-general for Afghanistan is calling for disciplinary action for those responsible for the burning of Qurans at a U.S. military base last week.
- C/2-4th FA returns from Afghanistan Army News 01 Mar 2012 -- "Charlie Rock" battery deployed to Afghanistan in late August where they performed a variety of security missions.
- 425th preps for Afghan mission in Hoosier State Army News 01 Mar 2012 -- Soldiers from the 425th Civil Affairs Battalion are training for their upcoming deployment to the Kapisa Province of Afghanistan.
- Pakistan fighter jets kill 22 militants IRNA 01 Mar 2012 -- Pakistan fighter jets bombed Taliban hideouts in a northwest tribal region, killing 22 insurgents.
- IRGC Navy Commander: Iran at helm of events in Persian Gulf IRNA 01 Mar 2012 -- Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi: “Under current conditions if the Americans would be intending to shoot, their economic field and military forces would suffer dearly.”
Defense Policy / Programs
- Risk of Major Cyberattack Worries Secretary AFPS 01 Mar 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta was asked following a speech here tonight what keeps him awake at night: a major cyberattack.
- Remarks by Secretary Panetta at the McConnell Center, University of Louisville, Ky. DoD 01 Mar 2012
- U.S. Must Maintain Military Might, Secretary Says AFPS 01 Mar 2012 -- Success in Iraq and the drawdown in Afghanistan does not mean the U.S. military should be dismantled, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said.
- Strategic Guidance Drives DOD Science Enterprise, Officials Say AFPS 01 Mar 2012 -- The Defense Department’s new strategic guidance drove science and technology budget requests that include funding for projects ranging from hypersonics to electronic warfare.
- Army budget focuses on efficiencies, priorities Army News 01 Mar 2012 -- The Army's military deputy for budget said the request of $134.6 billion for fiscal year 2013 that's on Capitol Hill focuses on efficiency and priority without making the force hollow.
- CSAF highlights fiscal 2013 military construction efforts AFNS 01 Mar 2012 -- Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz discussed military construction projects contained in the service's fiscal 2013 budget request.
- KCNA Commentary on US-S. Korean Drills KCNA 01 Mar 2012 -- The south Koreas made remarks after kicking off Key Resolve and Foal Eagle joint military exercises.
- Seabees, MWSS-171 clear way to expand base USMC News 01 Mar 2012 -- Demolition, construction and maintenance are some of the things which may come to mind when one thinks of Navy Seabees, the backbone of U.S. Naval construction.
- Personnel return full force USMC News 01 Mar 2012 -- Military personnel of Marine All-Weather Fighter Attack Squadrons 242, Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 115, Marine Air Control Squadron 4 Detachment B and Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 12 departed Korat Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand.
- Andersen concludes Asia-Pacific SMEE AFNS 01 Mar 2012 -- A multilateral subject-matter expert exchange co-hosted by senior civil engineer and security forces personnel from Headquarters 13th Air Force concluded.
- USS Simpson Participates in Obangame Express 2012 NNS 01 Mar 2012 -- USS Simpson completed two days of participation for Exercise Obangame Express 2012, Feb. 29.
- National Guard Responds to Midwest Tornadoes AFPS 01 Mar 2012 -- The National Guard had about 90 Guard members supporting civilian authorities responding to tornadoes throughout the Midwest.
- NAVELSG Command Master Chief Relieved of Duty NNS 01 Mar 2012 -- Commander, Navy Expeditionary Logistics Support Group relieved the command master chief Feb. 28.
- Kyrgyz President 'Mixed Up' Over Russian Military Bases RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2012 -- Kyrgyz President Almazbek Atambayev confused Russian military facilities when he demanded that Russia pay off a $15-million debt for leasing an air base in the former Soviet republic.
- Russian Defense Ministry to Buy 92 Su-34 Fighters RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2012 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has signed a deal for 92 Su-34 Fullback fighter-bombers from the Sukhoi aircraft maker.
- Russia's First Arctic Rescue Center to Open This Year RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2012 -- The first emergency rescue center on Russia’s Arctic coast will open in August.
- Secretary General and Qatari Prime Minister discuss Partnership NATO 01 Mar 2012 -- The NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen welcomed the Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Qatar Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim Al-Thani at NATO Headquarters on 1 March 2012.
- Daring joins allied navies for her first major operation UK MOD 01 Mar 2012 -- Britain's most advanced warship has joined allied navies in a sweep of troubled waters for her first major operation east of Suez.
- India Defines Talks With China VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- India says its cooperation with China needs to be "deepened and broadened."
- India to phase out MiG-21 fighter planes: Antony IRNA 01 Mar 2012 -- Indian Air Force’s MiG 21s will start getting phased out from 2014 setting the stage for giving the IAF a 'new look.'
- South Sudan army officers receive UN-led human rights training UN News Centre 01 Mar 2012 -- South Sudanese army officers received training on human rights, democracy and the rule of law, among other subjects.
- Global Anti-Landmine Campaign Launched VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- Landmine survivors worldwide launched an international campaign aimed at eradicating these weapons.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, March 1, 2012 US Dept. of State 01 Mar 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for March 01, 2012
- EADS North America delivers 200th UH-72A Lakota Light Utility Helicopter to U.S. Army EADS 01 Mar 2012
- Raytheon is Awarded DARPA Contract to Help Friendly Forces Communicate While Conducting Electronic Warfare Raytheon 01 Mar 2012 -- Raytheon Company was awarded a $3.8 million contract from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) to allow armed forces to conduct jamming operations with minimal communication and control interference to friendly forces.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 1 March 2012 United Nations 01 Mar 2012
- Libya and Syria top talks on chemical weapons between Ban and key official UN News Centre 01 Mar 2012 -- The destruction of chemical weapons in Libya and the possible existence of similar stockpiles in Syria have topped agenda between Secretary-General Ban and the head of body dedicated to the removal of such weapons.
- US: Syrian Leader's Demise 'Inevitable' VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- U.S. officials say Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s rule will end, but they do not know when or what will transpire afterwards.
- Syria: Ban and new envoy Annan discuss ways to resolve crisis UN News Centre 29 Feb 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban and Kofi Annan have held talks to discuss how to end the deadly violence gripping Syria.
- UN Human Rights Council deplores ‘brutal’ actions by Syria against civilians UN News Centre 01 Mar 2012 -- The top United Nations human rights body deplored the “brutal” actions of the Syrian authorities.
- U.S. Official: Syrian 'Tipping Point' Must Come 'Quickly' RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- A top U.S. official for the Middle East says the "tipping point" in Syria must come "quickly."
- Syrian Rebels Retreat From Besieged Stronghold VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- Most of Syria's rebel fighters have pulled out of the besieged Baba Amr district of Homs after a months-long military assault by President Bashar al-Assad's security forces.
- Syrian Rebels Withdraw From Besieged Homs District RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- Syrian rebels fighting government troops in the city of Homs say they have withdrawn from the district of Baba Amr..
- UN Rights Council Condemns Syrian Crackdown VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- The United Nations Human Rights Council has condemned what it calls "widespread and systematic violations of human rights" by the Syrian government.
- Russian Foreign Minister Reiterates Stance on Syria RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2012 -- The UN Security Council should not turn into "a testing range" for unilateral decisions "to change political regimes in sovereign countries," Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- Clinton Calls Russia’s Stance on Syria ‘Frustrating’ RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton called Russia’s lack of cooperation in efforts to resolve the current political and humanitarian crises in Syria.
- Russia Votes Against UN Human Rights Council Resolution on Syria RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2012 -- Russia, China and Cuba voted against a UN Human Rights Council resolution calling on Syria to immediately end violence against civilians and grant humanitarian organizations access to the country.
- Russia, China Applaud Syrian Referendum RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2012 -- The foreign ministers of Russia and China gave a favorable assessment to the referendum on a new constitution held in Syria.
- Plot to Abduct Syrian Rebel Army Leaders Thwarted in Turkey RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2012 -- Turkey’s intelligence service has thwarted a plot to abduct commanders of Syria’s rebel Free Syrian Army from its tent camp in Turkey.
- US Congressional Resolution on Baluchistan Creates Uproar in Pakistan VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- A provocative resolution by an American congressman calling for the secession of Pakistan’s largest province has gone virtually unnoticed.
- SOMALIA: Mogadishu terror continues, despite Al-Shabab "withdrawal" IRIN 01 Mar 2012 -- Although Al-Shabab insurgents announced their withdrawal from the Somali capital, Mogadishu, in August 2011, insecurity in the city has continued.
- US Condemns Bombing of Oil Wells in South Sudan VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- The United States has strongly condemned an air strike against South Sudan's oil wells blamed on neighboring Sudan.
- South Sudan Accuses Sudan of Bombing Oil Fields VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- Newly independent South Sudan says that its former civil war foe Sudan has bombed its oil fields.
- ICC Issues Arrest Warrant for Sudan Defense Minister VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- The International Criminal Court has issued a warrant for the arrest of Sudan's defense minister, Abdel Raheem Muhammed Hussein.
- ICC issues arrest warrant for Sudanese minister for alleged Darfur crimes UN News Centre 01 Mar 2012 -- The International Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant against Sudanese Defence Minister Abdelrahim Mohamed Hussein.
- Moldova Protests Russian Polling Stations in Breakaway Region RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2012 -- The setting up of polling stations for Russian presidential elections in Moldova’s breakaway Transdnestr region is an unfriendly move.
- Asthon: Pristina, Belgrade Should Move 'Even Closer To EU' RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- The European Union's foreign policy chief says Serbia and Kosovo should continue to take steps toward closer integration with the 27-member bloc.
- Serbia Set for EU Entry RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2012 -- Serbia and Romania signed a treaty on the protection of minorities on Thursday, clearing the way for EU membership for Serbia, the country’s news agencies reported.
- UN-backed court to deliver judgment in Charles Taylor trial next month UN News Centre 01 Mar 2012 -- The United Nations-backed court set up to try suspects indicted for war crimes in Sierra Leone announced that the judgment in the trial of the former Liberian President, Charles Taylor, will be delivered on 26 April.
- Pakistan Says It Will Pursue Gas Project With Iran, Despite U.S. Warning RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- Pakistan's foreign minister says her country will pursue a gas pipeline project with Iran despite a U.S. warning.
- Explainer: Iran's Parliamentary Elections RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- Look at the key issues that are expected to dominate proceedings as well as the personalities who should feature prominently in the upcoming poll.
- Iran Elections Pose Challenge Amid Economic Crisis VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- In an election with millions of voters and hundreds of candidates, the two most important figures in Iran's parliamentary ballot aren't running for office.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Says Election Will Be 'Slap In The Face' For West RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei predicted a high turnout for Iran's March 2 parliamentary elections, describing the event as "another slap in the face" to Western powers.
- China Welcomes US-N. Korea Deal VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- China is welcoming a deal between the United States and North Korea, under which Pyongyang says it will suspend nuclear tests and uranium enrichment.
- Russia Welcomes N.Korea Nuclear Test Moratorium RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2012 -- Russia welcomes the decision by North Korea to hold a moratorium on testing nuclear weapons.
- Asia Cautious About US-North Korean Nuclear Deal VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- North Korea's decision to suspend its testing of nuclear weapons and long-range ballistic missiles is being cautiously welcomed in Asia, where many residents remember a history of broken promises.
- World Powers Give Cautious Welcome To North Korea Announcement RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- World powers are giving a cautious welcome to North Korea's announcement that it has decided to suspend key elements of its nuclear weapons program.
- Egypt Travel Ban Lifted, US NGO Workers Leave VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- U.S. pro-democracy activists charged with encouraging unrest in Egypt have left Cairo after courts there lifted a travel ban against them.
- Western Pro-Democracy Activists Flown Out of Egypt RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- Pro-democracy activists from the U.S and other places have departed Egypt aboard a U.S. government plane following a court's decision to lift a travel ban on them.
- In Egypt NGO Case, Economic Reality Appears to Trump Politics VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- Political tensions between Egypt and the US appear to be easing, after Egypt lifted a travel ban on seven American democracy activists.
- HRW Criticizes Iraq's 'Repressive' Response To Demonstrations RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- Human Rights Watch has criticized Iraqi authorities for using "repressive means" to muzzle peaceful protests.
- Clashes Erupt In Azerbaijan Amid Public Protests RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- Security forces have fired tear gas and rubber bullets in a bid to quell an outbreak of rioting in the northeastern Azerbaijani city of Quba after the local governor described residents as "traitors."
- Burmese President Vows to Continue Democratic Reforms VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- Burmese President Thein Sein is urging patience as his government carries out a series of democratic reforms launched nearly a year ago.
- New Study Says Japan 'Lucky' to Avoid Wider Disaster VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- The authors of comprehensive independent report on Japan's nuclear reactor meltdowns last year say the country was “very lucky.”
- Senegalese Opposition Leader Predicts Wade Run-off Defeat VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- The leader of Senegal’s National Democratic Rally said it is now the priority of opposition and civil society organizations to deal a “devastating blow” to President Abdoulaye Wade’s controversial third term re-election bid.
- Run-Off Election to Decide Senegal Presidential Race VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- Senegal is headed to a presidential run-off election that pits an opposition leader against his former political mentor.
- Ban voices concern over persisting political tensions in Maldives UN News Centre 01 Mar 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban voiced his concern over the continuing political tensions in the Maldives.
- Côte d’Ivoire: UN to assess situation in areas where poll results are on hold UN News Centre 01 Mar 2012 -- The United Nations peacekeeping mission in Côte d’Ivoire said that it will assess the situation in two constituencies where there were some “incidents” during last weekend’s legislative by-elections.
- Praising progress in Timor-Leste, Ban urges peaceful, democratic presidential poll UN News Centre 01 Mar 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban has urged all candidates to conduct their activities in a peaceful and democratic manner.
- South Africa's ANC Expels Youth League Leader VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- The African National Congress has expelled Julius Malema, the firebrand leader of the party’s youth league, for sowing divisions within the party and putting the party's standing with South African citizens at risk.
- Russians Gear Up for Presidential Vote VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- Russians are gearing up to elect a new president Sunday, widely expected to put Prime Minister Vladimir Putin in office for a third non-consecutive term.
- 700 Observers to Monitor Russian Presidential Poll RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2012 -- Almost 700 international observers will arrive in Russia to monitor the March 4 presidential elections, Russia’s Central Electoral Commission chief Vladimir Churov said.
- PACE Monitors Arrive in Russia Ahead of Election RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2012 -- A group of 29 officials from the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe will arrive in Moscow to monitor the presidential elections on March 4.
- HRW Says Russian Authorities Cracking Down On Critics Ahead Of Vote RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- Human Rights Watch says Russian authorities are cracking down on critics, while tolerating unprecedented public protests.
- Russian Authorities Probing Allegedly Fake Vote-Rigging Videos RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- Russia's top investigative body says it has launched an investigation into several video clips allegedly containing fake evidence of vote-rigging ahead of the March 4 presidential election.
- Russia Blasts Latvia’s Reverence For Nazi Legionnaires RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2012 -- The recent remarks by Latvian President Andris Berzins expressing sympathy for Latvian Waffen-SS veterans are inconsistent with the status of the country as a democratic state.
- Venezuelan President Vows Election Win VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has vowed an October election victory, in his first public comment after surgery in Cuba this week to remove a pelvic lesion.
- Chavez 'Soaring Like Condor' after Surgery in Cuba RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2012 -- Cancer-stricken Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez announced on his Twitter account he was "soaring like a condor," after undergoing surgery earlier in the week in Cuba.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|