26 February 2012 Military News
- Afghanistan Hunts for Suspect in Kabul Killings, Karzai Calls for Calm VOA 26 Feb 2012 -- Afghan authorities are looking for an Afghan intelligence official they believe may be responsible for shooting dead two U.S. officers inside a heavily guarded command center at the Interior Ministry in Kabul.
- Karzai Calls For Calm Amid Ongoing Unrest RFE/RL 26 Feb 2012 -- Reports from northern Afghanistan say at least one protester was killed and seven U.S. soldiers were wounded in a sixth day of anti-American protests.
- International Military Personnel Recalled from Afghan Ministries VOA 26 Feb 2012 -- All international military personnel working in Afghan government offices were recalled after a gunman killed two American military advisers Saturday inside the heavily guarded Ministry of Interior.
- Germany pulls advisors out of Kabul over anti-US protests IRNA 26 Feb 2012 -- Germany withdrew its advisors from Kabul-based Afghan ministries in the wake of deadly anti-US protests over the desecration of the Holy Quran.
- Task Force Leatherneck transfers to 1st Marine Division USMC News 26 Feb 2012 -- The 2nd Marine Division (Forward) transferred authority of Task Force Leatherneck to 1st Marine Division (Forward) during a brief ceremony, here, Feb. 25.
- Pakistani forces kill six militants IRNA 26 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani forces used helicopters to bomb hideouts of militants on Sunday and killed six militants in Khyber tribal region.
- USS McFaul Heads to the Arabian Sea NNS 26 Feb 2012 -- The USS McFaul departed Naval Station Norfolk today on a regularly scheduled deployment to the Arabian Sea to participate in counter-piracy operations.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Defense Ministry denies report of German submarine sale to Taiwan CNA 26 Feb 2012 -- The Ministry of National Defense said it is still seeking to acquire submarines from the US.
- Defense minister: Iran backs Lebanese army IRNA 26 Feb 2012 -- Minister of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said that supporting the Lebanese army is among Iran’s strategies as the country should have a powerful army to defend its territorial integrity.
- Vahidi says boosting Lebanese army is Iran's strategy ISNA 26 Feb 2012 -- Iranian Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi said boosting Lebanese army is one of Iran's strategic policies.
- Secretary Clinton Interview With Elise Labott of CNN US Dept. of State 26 Feb 2012
- Secretary Clinton Interview With Michele Kelemen of NPR US Dept. of State 26 Feb 2012
- Secretary Clinton Interview With Samira Sitail of 2M US Dept. of State 26 Feb 2012
- Secretary Clinton Interview With Wyatt Andrews of CBS US Dept. of State 26 Feb 2012
- Secretary Clinton Interview With Kim Ghattas of BBC US Dept. of State 26 Feb 2012
- Syrians Vote on New Constitution as Death Toll Mounts VOA 26 Feb 2012 -- The Syrian government held a referendum on a new constitution, as it continued a military offensive that has left scores of people dead.
- Syrian Government Holds Referendum Amid Unrest RFE/RL 26 Feb 2012 -- The Syrian government is holding a national referendum on a new constitution, as nearly 11 months of violent unrest continues without an end in sight.
- Damascus: Boycotted Constitution Vote Valid RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2012 -- Syrian authorities declared the referendum on the new draft constitution on Sunday valid despite an opposition boycott.
- Syria Holds Referendum on New Constitution Amid Violence RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2012 -- Syria will hold a national referendum on a new draft constitution which is seen by authorities as part of a solution to the current political crisis in the country.
- Three People Killed, 38 Wounded In Nigeria Suicide Car Bombing VOA 26 Feb 2012 -- A suicide car bombing outside a major church in central Nigeria Sunday killed at least three people and wounded more than three dozen others.
- Azerbaijanis And Turks Mark Anniversary Of Karabakh War RFE/RL 26 Feb 2012 -- Some 50,000 Azerbaijanis marched through Baku on February 26 to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the country's war with Armenian forces over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.
- Israel: Iran to Top Agenda at White House Summit VOA 26 Feb 2012 -- Israel’s leader is gearing up for a visit to Washington amid growing tensions with Iran.
- Iran Denies Greece 500,000 Barrels of Oil Shipment RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2012 -- Iran has refused to supply 500,000 barrels of oil to Greece in response to the European Union’s sanctions against the Islamic Republic.
- 1000 MW nuclear power to join Iran's national grid soon ISNA 26 Feb 2012 -- The Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Abbasi said 1000 MW electricity generated from nuclear power plant would join the national grid in coming months.
- Reports: Egypt Court Adjourns Trial Over Foreign NGO Funding RFE/RL 26 Feb 2012 -- Reports say that an Egyptian court on has adjourned the trial of pro-democracy activists accused of illegally receiving funds from abroad.
- Trial of Democracy Activists Opens in Egypt VOA 26 Feb 2012 -- An Egyptian court has opened the trial of 16 Americans and 27 other employees of foreign non-profit groups, in a case that has threatened ties between Cairo and Washington and $1.3 billion in annual U.S. military assistance.
- Islamist Parties Dominate Egypt’s Upper House RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2012 -- Egypt’s Islamist parties have won the majority of seats the upper house of parliament, the Shura Council, the country’s election authorities said.
- Senegal’s Ruling Party Pleased with Peaceful Election VOA 26 Feb 2012 -- A spokesman for Senegalese President Abdoulaye Wade’s re-election campaign said the ruling party is satisfied with the peaceful conduct of Sunday’s presidential election.
- Vote Counting Underway in Senegal VOA 26 Feb 2012 -- Vote counting is underway in Senegal. Despite a calm day of polling on Sunday, the country continues to brace for potential unrest after results are announced.
- Côte d'Ivoire: UN envoy voices satisfaction with conduct of by-elections UN News Centre 26 Feb 2012 -- The head of the UN peacekeeping mission in Côte d'Ivoire voiced his satisfaction with the conduct of the legislative by-elections in the country.
- Georgian President Demands To Know Opponents' Stand On Russia RFE/RL 26 Feb 2012 -- Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili has challenged his political opponents to disclose their views on relations with Russia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|