17 February 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 17 Feb 2012 [PDF]
- Afghanistan operational air update 11 February 2012 UK MOD 17 Feb 2012 -- RAF personnel conducted numerous missions across southern Afghanistan from 5 to 11 February 2012.
- 455th ESFS Reapers push out insurgents, keep Bagram safe AFNS 17 Feb 2012 -- Most service members deployed to Afghanistan have heard the alarm blare over the giant voice system that signals incoming indirect fire to the base.
- Karzai says US can't hold talks with Taliban IRNA 17 Feb 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai said that Taliban cannot open office in Qatar and the Afghan government will decide venue for any talks with the Taliban.
- Pakistan, Afghanistan Talks on Taliban Peace End With Little Progress VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan is warning Afghanistan against having unrealistic expectations in bringing the Afghan Taliban to the negotiating table.
- Iran, Pakistan pledge support for Afghan-led peace process IRNA 17 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani and Iranian Presidents declared support for Afghan-led peace and reconciliation process and agreed to enhance cooperation to root out extremism and terrorism in region.
- Fake Member Of Parliament Raises Alarm In Afghanistan RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- An unidentified man may have collected a treasure trove of sensitive information from security and intelligence offices throughout Afghanistan's southern Kandahar Province.
- Afghan soldiers take over new patrol base UK MOD 17 Feb 2012 -- Nearly 300 members of the Afghan National Army have taken command of a new patrol base in Lashkar Gah district, Helmand province, built with the assistance of UK forces.
- Violence In Northwest Pakistan Reportedly Kills At Least 29 RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- Reports say a clash in northwestern Pakistan has left five Islamist militants and three members of a government-sponsored militia dead.
- Heavy helicopter squadron Marines return to Cherry Point USMC News 17 Feb 2012 -- More than 50 Marines with Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 366 returned to Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point Feb. 11, after a seven-month deployment to the Horn of Africa.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Congress hears budget will avoid 'hollow force' Army News 17 Feb 2012 -- "We have to avoid another Task Force Smith as we move forward" with these budget discussions, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Raymond T. Odierno told lawmakers.
- Panetta Takes Strategy, Budget Message to Troops AFPS 17 Feb 2012 -- Fresh from three days of Capitol Hill testimony, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta flew to Louisiana, where he shared his strategy and budget vision in a more dressed-down setting.
- Senior Enlisted Leaders Cite Troops’ Top Concerns AFPS 17 Feb 2012 -- The senior enlisted advisors for the four military services met on Capitol Hill yesterday to discuss with lawmakers the top issues on service members’ minds.
- President recommends $5.062 billion for AF Reserve in fiscal 2013 AFNS 17 Feb 2012 -- Under the Fiscal 2013 President's Budget Request announced Feb. 13, Air Force Reserve Command is slated to receive an annual operating budget of $5.062 billion starting in October.
- General explains vision, intent USMC News 17 Feb 2012 -- Lt. Gen. Kenneth J. Glueck Jr., the commanding general of III Marine Expeditionary Force, provided supplemental guidance to the members of his command Feb. 7.
- Close Coordination Keeps Nuclear Weapons from Terrorists AFPS 17 Feb 2012 -- close integration and coordination between agencies and partners is critical to safeguarding nuclear weapons and materials.
- U.S. says Taiwan policy remains unchanged CNA 17 Feb 2012 -- The recent meeting between U.S. President Barack Obama and Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping has not led to any change in Washington's policy toward Taiwan.
- No change in U.S. stance on arms sales to Taiwan: envoy CNA 17 Feb 2012 -- The US will continue to sell defensive weapons to Taiwan in line with the Taiwan Relations Act, the Republic of China's top representative in Washington, D.C. said.
- Rare radar saved from scrap heap Army News 17 Feb 2012 -- White Sands Missile Range saved a $22 million radar while enhancing its own testing capabilities with the recovery of a rare radar system that arrived on the range Feb. 10.
- USS Montpelier Returns Home from Deployment NNS 17 Feb 2012 -- The Los Angeles fast-attack submarine USS Montpelier (SSN 765) returned to Naval Station Norfolk from a regularly scheduled deployment Feb. 17.
- Gunston Hall Tests New Asset, Scan Eagle UAV during CERTEX NNS 17 Feb 2012 -- USS Gunston Hall conducted, for the first time aboard, testing of Scan Eagle, an unmanned aerial vehicle, used in coordination with both Gunston Hall and the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit.
- 101st Strike first Army unit issued M26 shotgun Army News 17 Feb 2012 -- The 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, is the first unit in the Army selected to be issued this new weapons system.
- 101st's 1st BCT trains with improved M320 grenade launchers Army News 17 Feb 2012 -- The M320 is an improved version of the M203 that can be attached to the rifle or fired as a standalone weapon system.
- Nations participate in command post exercise USMC News 17 Feb 2012 -- Participants from 17 countries across the globe teamed up at Camp Suranaree, Korat, Kingdom of Thailand during Exercise Cobra Gold 2012.
- Exercise Iron Fist brings two nations together USMC News 17 Feb 2012 -- The 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Amphibious Squadron 3 and Japanese Ground Self Defense Force debarked from the USS Peleliu, Feb. 13, marking the end of Exercise Iron Fist 2012.
- Alaskan battalion experiences extreme winter conditions to support Soldiers Army News 17 Feb 2012 -- The Army Field Support Battalion-Alaska (Provisional) is the "Arctic Face to the Field."
- New IAAFA airfield facility consolidates aviation training AFNS 17 Feb 2012 -- Senior Air Force and Inter-American Air Forces Academy leaders, along with representatives from six Latin America partner nations, opened the new IAAFA Airfield Training Complex.
- Kyrgyz President Says He'll Demand Overdue Base Fees From Russia RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- Kyrgyzstan's President Almazbek Atambaev says he plans to demand overdue fees for Russian military assets on Kyrgyz soil.
- New Russian Tank to Appear in 2013 RIA Novosti 17 Feb 2012 -- Russia will complete the first prototype of the new Armata main battle tank by 2013 and begin production and deliveries in 2015.
- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen: "New NATO – New Turkey" NATO 17 Feb 2012
- Turkey Pledges No Third Country Use of NATO Defenses VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- Davutoglu said Turkey "will never allow any third country to use any NATO facility."
- Navy's next helicopter completes trials on HMS Iron Duke UK MOD 17 Feb 2012 -- The Royal Navy's next generation helicopter, Wildcat, has completed 20 days of demanding trials aboard HMS Iron Duke, laying the groundwork for future operations.
- India formally inducts Mi-17 V5 choppers into Air Force IRNA 17 Feb 2012 -- India formally inducted its latest Mi-17 V5 armed helicopters from Russia to enhance its operational capabilities.
- Russian Mi-17s Enter Service with Indian Air Force RIA Novosti 17 Feb 2012 -- The Indian Air Force has put into service the first batch of 80 Mi-17V-5 tactical transport helicopters under a $1.3 billion deal.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 17 Feb 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for February 17, 2012
- General Dynamics Demonstrates First MUOS-based Communications on JTRS HMS Radio General Dynamics 17 Feb 2012 -- Using the Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS) Handheld, Manpack, Small Form Fit (HMS) two-channel networking radio (AN/PRC-155), General Dynamics C4 Systems recently completed the first demonstration of secure voice and data communications via the Mobile User Objective System (MUOS) satellite-communications waveform.
- President Obama Takes Actions to Promote American Manufacturing and Increase U.S. Exports at Boeing The White House 17 Feb 2012
- Watchkeeper to be key pillar of Anglo-French defence cooperation Thales 17 Feb 2012 -- The largest tactical unmanned air system (UAS) in Europe was today announced as a key pillar of a broad Anglo-French defence cooperation in the field of UAS as the French Government confirmed its interest in working with the UK to develop Thales UK's Watchkeeper.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 17 February 2012 United Nations 17 Feb 2012
- UN envoy calls for closer ties with West African regional bloc UN News Centre 17 Feb 2012 -- A senior UN official called for closer ties between the UN and the Economic Community of West African States.
- ECOWAS Ends Summit, Elects New Chairman VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- Over the course of its two-day summit in Abuja, the Economic Community of West African States, ECOWAS, discussed the region's many crises, as well as its successes.
- Syria Says 44 Killed in Twin Bombings VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- Syrian officials say twin suicide bombings in Damascus have killed at least 44 people and left at least 150 others injured.
- Syrian Troops Shell Central City Following UN Condemnation VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- Activists say Syrian troops are shelling rebel-held areas in the central city of Homs, just one day after the U.N. General Assembly condemned the regime.
- British, French Leaders Call on Syria's Opposition to Unify VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- French and British leaders urged Syria's opposition to unite so the international community can help them topple the regime of Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad.
- French, British Leaders Pledge Help To Syrian Opposition RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- The leaders of Britain and France have pledged to help the Syrian opposition in its struggle against Bashar al-Assad's regime.
- Moscow Ready to Seek Syria Solution with UN RIA Novosti 17 Feb 2012 -- Russia is ready to seek a compromise formula together with other UN member states to settle the months-long political crisis in Syria.
- Russian Envoy Slams UN General Assembly’s Syria Resolution RIA Novosti 17 Feb 2012 -- Russia believes the UN General Assembly’s resolution on Syria is an attempt to impose a form of political settlement on the country.
- UN General Assembly Condemns Syria RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- The UN General Assembly has approved a nonbinding resolution endorsing an Arab League plan that calls on Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad to leave office.
- UN General Assembly Condemns Syrian Authorities RIA Novosti 17 Feb 2012 -- The UN General Assembly adopted a non-binding resolution condemning Syria’s authorities for human rights violations and calling on President Bashar al-Assad to step down.
- Debate Rages: Is Syria Conflict Civil War? VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- With Syrian President Bashar al-Assad continuing his crackdown on anti-government uprisings, the bloodshed bears the hallmarks of a civil war.
- Somalis Flee Fighting Near Afgooye Corridor VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- In Somalia, thousands of already displaced people are fleeing new fighting northwest of Mogadishu.
- Somalia: UN voices concern for safety of thousands displaced by fresh clashes UN News Centre 17 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations refugee agency voiced fears for the safety of thousands of people who have fled fresh violence near the Somali capital, Mogadishu.
- Uganda Warns Somali Leaders to Unite Ahead of Conference VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- Leaders from 40 nations will join politicians from Somalia at a conference in London next Thursday, to support the war-ravaged state in its effort to achieve social and political security.
- Sudan: Security Council extends mandate of panel on Darfur-related sanctions UN News Centre 17 Feb 2012 -- The Security Council extended for another year the mandate of the panel of experts monitoring sanctions imposed on Sudan in connection with the conflict in Darfur.
- United Nations Votes to Extend Sudan Panel VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations Security Council on Friday voted unanimously to extend the mandate of a panel of experts on Sudan sanctions for another year.
- UN boosting aid delivery to refugees as more people flee fighting in Mali UN News Centre 17 Feb 2012 -- Fighting between Government forces and ethnic Tuareg rebels in northern Mali has forced more than 44,000 people to flee the area over the past month.
- SENEGAL: No end in sight to Casamance conflict IRIN 17 Feb 2012 -- The body count rises from the conflict between members of the separatist Movement of Democratic Forces of Casamance and the Senegalese army.
- Kadyrov Says Militant Group Killed in Chechnya RIA Novosti 17 Feb 2012 -- A militant group led by field commander Magarbi Timiraliyev, known as "Abudar," was eliminated in the east of Chechnya during a special police operation.
- Casualties Reported In Fighting On Chechnya-Daghestan Border RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- Chechen Republic leader Ramzan Kadyrov says fierce fighting in eastern Chechnya along the border with neighboring Daghestan has left dozens dead and injured.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks With European Union High Representative Catherine Ashton After Their Meeting US Dept. of State 17 Feb 2012
- The Iran Conflict Comes To The Caucasus RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- Israel publicly accused Tehran of being behind the aborted Tbilisi attack.
- India Treads Lightly Amid Accusations Against Iran VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- Indian police have yet to locate a suspect in a bombing attack on an Israeli vehicle that Israel blames on Iran.
- Thailand Searches For More Suspects in Bangkok Blasts VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- Authorities in Thailand are looking for at least two more suspects in connection with this week's explosions in Bangkok that police say were part of an assassination plot targeting Israeli diplomats.
- Thai Police Seek Suspects In Alleged Iranian Bomb Plot RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- Thai police say they are searching for two more suspects in the failed attack against Israeli diplomats.
- Israel Says Iran, Hezballah Plotting Attacks Against Israelis Abroad RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- Israel's counterterrorism bureau says Iran and its ally, the Lebanese Shi'ite movement Hizballah are plotting attacks against Israelis and Jews worldwide.
- Pakistan to Provide No Support to U.S. in Attack on Iran – Zardari RIA Novosti 17 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan will not provide any support to U.S. forces if the United States attacks Iran, Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari said.
- UN Chief: Iran So Far Unconvincing On Weapons Issue RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon says Iran must do more to prove its nuclear program is peaceful.
- Iran Developing Cult Of Personality Around Slain Nuclear Scientists RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- On January 11, Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan became the fourth Iranian nuclear scientist to be assassinated in two years.
- US Moving to Undercut Iran Oil Markets VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. government is trying to shrink the market for Iranian oil to deprive Tehran of funds for its nuclear program.
- US, EU Say Iran May Be Ready to Resume Talks VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- The United States and the European Union say Iran may be serious about returning to talks over its nuclear program.
- Interbank System Ready To Exclude Iranian Financial Institutions RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- The global interbank transfer network SWIFT says it is prepared to discontinue services to Iranian financial institutions targeted by European Union sanctions.
- United States Imposes New Sanctions on Iran RIA Novosti 17 Feb 2012 -- The United States on Thursday extended its sanctions against Iran, the State Department reported.
- US Pro-Democracy Groups Under Fire for Work in Egypt VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- Several U.S. aid organizations are facing criminal charges in Egypt for allegedly inciting pro-democracy protests against the country's military rulers.
- Bahrainis Complain of Government Tear Gas Attacks on Neighborhoods VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- A controversial former U.S. police chief hired as an adviser to reform Bahrain's security forces has defended the use of tear gas in residential neighborhoods.
- Statement by the Press Secretary on the First Anniversary of Libya’s Revolution The White House 17 Feb 2012
- Libyans Mark First Anniversary of Revolution VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- Libyans are celebrating the first anniversary of the revolution that led to the overthrow of former dictator Moammar Gadhafi's 42-year rule.
- Libyans Mark Anniversary Of Start Uprising That Toppled Qaddafi RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- Libyans are marking the one-year anniversary of the start of the uprising that toppled the rule of Muammar Qaddafi after 42 years in power.
- Democratic future for Libya is within reach, Ban says on anniversary of revolution UN News Centre 17 Feb 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban marked one-year anniversary of the start of the Libyan revolution.
- Report: China Detains Hundreds of Tibetans VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- A human rights group says China has detained several hundred Tibetans returning from India after attending teaching sessions with the Dalai Lama.
- HRW Reports Mass Detention Of Tibetans Over Visit To Dalai Lama RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- Human Rights Watch says Chinese authorities may have detained as many as "several hundred" ethnic Tibetans.
- By-elections in Myanmar will be key test of commitment to democracy – UN UN News Centre 17 Feb 2012 -- Myanmar’s upcoming by-elections will serve as a critical test of the Government’s commitment to having a credible democratic process.
- EU Eases Burma Sanctions VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- The European Union eased some sanctions against Burma in response to political reforms initiated by the Southeast Asian country's nominally-civilian government, which took power last year.
- Group: Sudanese Police Arrest 'Hundreds' of Student Protesters VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- A Sudanese opposition group said Friday that police have raided the University of Khartoum and arrested hundreds of students holding an anti-government sit-in.
- Thousands in Turkey Held Without Trial: Rights Groups VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- Human right activists in Turkey charge that thousands of political activists and over 100 journalists in the country have been imprisoned.
- UN official partially certifies Ivorian parliamentary elections UN News Centre 17 Feb 2012 -- The senior UN official in Côte d’Ivoire announced the partial certification of legislative elections, saying the polls “constitute an important step in the entrenchment of democracy” in the West African country.
- UN envoy presses for more progress on revamping Liberian criminal justice system UN News Centre 17 Feb 2012 -- A senior UN official urged Liberians to redouble their efforts to revamp the West African country’s criminal justice system.
- Turkmen Hold Presidential Inauguration RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- Turkmenistan has held an inauguration ceremony to officially start President Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov's second term in office.
- Turkmenistan's Berdymukhamedov Begins Second Term RIA Novosti 17 Feb 2012 -- Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov was sworn in for a second term as the president of Turkmenistan on Friday following his election last week.
- Early Elections Start In Russia RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- Starting on February 17, early presidential elections are being held in remote areas of the vast country.
- Astrium’s Swarm satellite fleet successfully tested and ready for space mission EADS 17 Feb 2012 -- The three Astrium built satellites of the Swarm constellation have completed a series of environmental tests designed to demonstrate their fitness for space flight.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|