14 February 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Combined Force Captures 2 Taliban Leaders AFPS 14 Feb 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force captured two Taliban leaders and a suspected insurgent during an operation in the Maidan Shar district of Afghanistan’s Wardak province.
- Pakistan Allows NATO to Ship Food to Afghanistan VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan says it has temporarily allowed NATO to ship perishable food to its troops in neighboring Afghanistan.
- Islamabad Allows NATO Food Shipments To Afghanistan RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan's defense minister has admitted that the government temporarily has allowed NATO to ship food items to its troops in Afghanistan.
- New tri-Service intelligence unit formed to support Afghanistan operations UK MOD 14 Feb 2012 -- The brains behind some of the British Army's most complex counter-intelligence work have taken up a new role.
- Afghan Border Police take the lead to secure northern crossing NATO 14 Feb 2012 -- Afghan Border Police in their distinctive tan and white camouflage jackets stand along the Friendship Bridge on the Daryu River that separates Afghanistan from Uzbekistan in the north.
- NMCB 7 Detail Wolverine: Partnering for Results NNS 14 Feb 2012 -- Seabees assigned to U.S. Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 7 Detail Wolverine are conducting ongoing contingency construction projects in southern Zabul Province.
- Afghanistan Declares Feb. 15 "Day of Soviet Defeat" RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2012 -- Afghanistan has designated February 15 a national holiday, Soviet Army Defeat Day, commemorating the withdrawal of the last Soviet troops from Afghanistan in 1989.
- U.S. Carrier In Strait Of Hormuz RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. aircraft carrier "Abraham Lincoln" has sailed through the Strait of Hormuz, for the second time in recent weeks.
- Minister: Iran will not retreat from its interests in Persian Gulf ISNA 14 Feb 2012 -- Iranian Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi said Tuesday the country would not retreat from its interests regarding Persian Gulf.
- USS Port Royal Returns to Hawaii After Operation New Dawn NNS 14 Feb 2012 -- Guided-missile cruiser USS Port Royal (CG 73) returned to a large crowd and rousing cheers Feb. 13, after an almost eight-month deployment.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Panetta: Military Leaders Unified Behind Budget Request AFPS 14 Feb 2012 -- Inflation-adjusted Defense Department spending will drop 20 percent from its 2010 peak, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta told Congress.
- Budget Request Represents Responsible Investment, Dempsey Says AFPS 14 Feb 2012 -- President Barack Obama’s fiscal 2013 defense budget proposal represents a responsible investment in the nation’s security.
- Joint Force Perseveres Despite Strains of War, Chairman Says AFPS 14 Feb 2012 -- The men and women of America’s armed forces remain globally engaged but have persevered through 10 years of war and have exemplified a reliable record of service.
- Air Force Budget Request Reflects Changing Needs, Official Says AFPS 14 Feb 2012 -- The Air Force made difficult choices in its proposed fiscal 2013 budget as it transitions away from supporting large-scale ground wars to planning for the future.
- Army rolls out 2013 budget request Army News 14 Feb 2012 -- Despite cutbacks, the Army's fiscal 2013 budget request includes a pay increase of 1.7 percent for Soldiers, as well as allowance increases of 3.9 percent for housing and a 3.4 for subsistence.
- Army Will Remain Superior Fighting Force, Officials Say AFPS 14 Feb 2012 -- Though its portion of President Barack Obama’s fiscal 2013 defense budget request required tough decisions made necessary by looming spending reductions, the Army will remain a superior fighting force.
- Budget Request Preserves Troop Health Benefits, Official Says AFPS 14 Feb 2012 -- The $48.7 billion in medical spending contained in the 2013 defense budget request follows Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta’s often-stated priority of keeping faith with military members.
- DOD Announces Charges Sworn Against Detainee Majid Shoukat Khan DoD 14 Feb 2012
- Defense Secretary Leon Panetta Meets with Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping DoD 14 Feb 2012
- 2012-2016 JIEDDO Counter-IED Strategic Plan Released DoD 14 Feb 2012
- ONR Global Taking Off for Singapore Air Show 2012 NNS 14 Feb 2012 -- The Office of Naval Research Global is showcasing unmanned systems at the 2012 Singapore Air Show.
- The U.S. Army Brings Detroit Military Muscle and Efficiency to Chicago Army News 14 Feb 2012 -- The two Clandestine Extended Range Vehicles (CERV) are light-weight, diesel-electric hybrid prototypes that have been engineered for reconnaissance, targeting and rescue missions.
- USNS Comfort to Move to Naval Station Norfolk NNS 14 Feb 2012 -- The Navy announced Feb. 14 the hospital ship USNS Comfort will shift its layberth from Baltimore, Md., to Naval Station Norfolk.
- Cope North 2012 combines forces, efforts AFNS 14 Feb 2012 -- Joint operations kicked off between the U.S. Air Force, the Japan Air Self Defense Force and the Royal Australian Air Force as the first day of exercise Cope North 2012 began here Feb. 13.
- Construction starts soon Army News 14 Feb 2012 -- A longer commute to work could be the norm for Aberdeen Proving Ground motorists after the spring kickoff of a construction project that will widen and improve area roads.
- Rogozin Denies Halt to Russian Tank Purchases RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2012 -- The Russian Army will continue implementation of a program to purchase military hardware, including armored vehicles.
- Russia to Deploy S-400 Air Defense Systems Near Borders RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2012 -- Russia will place several new S-400 Triumf air defense systems near its borders in 2012.
- Russia Grounds Su-24 Bomber Fleet after Urals Crash RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2012 -- Russia has postponed indefinitely all flights of Su-24 Fencer tactical bombers after one of them crashed in Russia’s Urals.
- High level consultations on deeper partnerships in the Gulf region NATO 14 Feb 2012 -- NATO permanent representatives met senior officials from Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, the four countries which are part of the Istanbul Cooperation Initiative.
- India to Test Launch Agni-5 ICBM in March RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2012 -- India plans to test launch its new Agni-5 intercontinental ballistic missile in the second half of March.
- India plans to test-fire Agni 5 missile next month IRNA 14 Feb 2012 -- Indian plans to test-fire the 5,000-km range Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile, Agni 5 next month.
- Pakistan manufacturing spy aircraft, says air chief IRNA 14 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan Air Chief, Air Marshal Rao Qamar Sulema, has said that the country is manufacturing its own spy aircraft.
- Foreign ministry broaches idea of arming Taiwan's fishing boats CNA 14 Feb 2012 -- The government should consider whether to allow Taiwanese fishing vessels to carry arms to defend themselves.
- Civil Society Pushing for Arms Trade Treaty VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- The agreement would control the global trade in conventional weapons from rifles to tanks to warships.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 2/14/12 The White House 14 Feb 2012
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, February 14, 2012 US Dept. of State 14 Feb 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for February 14, 2012
- Bell Boeing Delivers 1st Block C V-22 Osprey to US Marine Corps Boeing 14 Feb 2012 -- The Bell Boeing V-22 Program, a strategic alliance between The Boeing Company and Bell Helicopter - Textron, today announced that the U.S. Marine Corps has taken delivery of the first MV-22 Osprey produced with the new Block C suite of design upgrades.
- GE LM2500 Gas Turbines Power Newly-Christened Coronado Austal Trimaran Littoral Combat Ship GE Marine 14 Feb 2012 -- GE Marine announces its LM2500 aeroderivative gas turbines now power the United States Navy's Coronado, trimaran Littoral Combat Ship. Coronado -- the second Austal USA-built LCS -- was recently christened at Austal USA's Mobile, Alabama, shipyard.
- Pratt & Whitney’s F135 Engine Exceeds 20,000 Hours Powering the F-35 Pratt & Whitney 14 Feb 2012 -- Pratt & Whitney’s F135 engine – exclusively powering Lockheed Martin’s fifth-generation F-35 Lightning II – exceeded 20,000 total engine hours while powering the fleet of F-35 flight test aircraft, including 17,700 ground test hours and 2,500 flight test hours.
- F119 Achieves Significant Milestone Powering the F-22; 200,000 Flight Hours Logged During Safest Engine Introduction in USAF History Pratt & Whitney 14 Feb 2012 -- Pratt & Whitney’s F119, the world’s first fifth-generation engine and the predecessor to the F135, has surpassed the 200,000 flight hour milestone powering Lockheed Martin’s F-22 Raptor. This milestone recognizes the F119 as a fully mature engine.
- Raytheon Completes First Test of JSOW-ER Warhead Raytheon 14 Feb 2012 -- Raytheon Company completed the first test of the warhead and fuze for the Joint Standoff Weapon Extended Range.
- US Army Fires Raytheon Griffin® Missile During Forward Operating Base Protection Test Raytheon 14 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. Army precisely engaged targets using the Raytheon Griffin B missile as part of a test to protect forward operating bases (FOBs) and small combat outposts.
- Raytheon Engages Malaysian Industry for Missile Work Raytheon 14 Feb 2012 -- Raytheon Company awarded an initial contract to Malaysian-based Contraves Advanced Devices Sdn. Bhd. for the production and supply of components for the Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM).
- Sikorsky Signs with Korea Coast Guard for S-92® Helicopter for Multi-Purpose Helicopter Program Sikorsky 14 Feb 2012 -- Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp., has announced a contract with the Korea Coast Guard for one S-92® helicopter for operation with their Multi-Purpose Helicopter Program.
- Japan Coast Guard Selects S-76D™ Helicopter for Search and Rescue Helicopter Program Sikorsky 14 Feb 2012 -- Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp., and Mitsubishi Corporation have announced a contract with the Japan Coast Guard (JCG) for four S-76D™ helicopters, which will replace several JCG helicopters that were damaged in the tsunami of 2011.
- Lockheed Martin Offers On-Demand Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Service Lockheed Martin 14 Feb 2012 -- To meet the immediate needs of customers who require intelligence aircraft or ground systems to support missions for a short period of time, Lockheed Martin is providing intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance to order.
- Lockheed Martin Teams with PT CMI Teknologi for Indonesia National Air Space Surveillance Program Lockheed Martin 14 Feb 2012 -- Lockheed Martin signed a teaming agreement with Indonesian technology firm PT CMI Teknologi to improve airspace surveillance, safety, and management over the Indonesian Archipelago in support of the governmentís defense revitalization initiative.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 14 February 2012 United Nations 14 Feb 2012
- UN adviser warns of potential sectarian split in Syria UN News Centre 14 Feb 2012 -- The deadly violence in Syria threatens to permanently divide the country along sectarian and ethnic lines.
- US Voices Concern about Syria Resolution Veto During Talks with China's VP VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- China's veto was among issues discussed during talks President Barack Obama, Vice President Biden and other U.S. officials had with visiting Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping.
- Syria's Homs Sees Heaviest Shelling in Days VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- Syrian government forces have renewed their assault on the flashpoint city of Homs in what activists say is the heaviest shelling in days.
- Reports: Assault On Homs Continues RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- Syrian troops are continuing their assault targeting the flashpoint city of Homs and other restive areas.
- UN Security Council Should Approve Syrian Peacekeeping Mandate RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2012 -- The UN Security Council should approve a mandate of any international mission in Syria, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said.
- Syrian political crisis influences region: Iran UN envoy ISNA 14 Feb 2012 -- Iranian permanent representative to the UN Mohammad Khazaei said Syrian social and political crisis influences the entire region.
- UN humanitarian arm warns about worsening situation in southern Yemen UN News Centre 14 Feb 2012 -- The number of people that have been affected by ongoing violence in southern Yemen and are dependent on assistance for protection, water and sanitation continues to increase.
- South Sudan: Khartoum Violates Non-Aggression Pact VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- South Sudan is accusing neighboring Sudan of bombing southern targets, days after the two sides signed a non-aggression deal.
- South Sudan Oil Dispute Raises Specter of War VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- South Sudan and Sudan have been engaged in a war of words since the south stopped pumping oil to the north in a dispute about pricing.
- Sudan: Security Council alarmed by humanitarian crisis in conflict-hit states UN News Centre 14 Feb 2012 -- The Security Council voiced alarm at the rising levels of malnutrition and food shortages in parts of Southern Kordofan and Blue Nile states in Sudan.
- Government, Peacekeepers Clash With Rebels in Somalia VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- News reports from Somalia say that African Union troops have clashed with al-Qaeda-linked Somali rebels in Mogadishu.
- SOMALIA: Galkayo IDPs suffer as aid agencies pull out IRIN 14 Feb 2012 -- More and more aid agencies are withdrawing from South Galkayo in central Somalia's self-declared autonomous state of Galmudug, due to increased insecurity.
- Mali, France Condemn Alleged Tuareg Rebel Atrocities VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- The government of Mali has joined with France in condemning alleged atrocities that have occurred during a new offensive launched by Tuareg rebels in the northwest African nation.
- UN working with Maliís neighbours to relocate refugees from border areas UN News Centre 14 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations said it is working with Niger, Burkina Faso and Mauritania to relocate refugees fleeing renewed fighting in Mali.
- Kosovo Serbs Hold Defiant Referendum VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- Ethnic Serbs in northern Kosovo began voting in a referendum on whether to recognize the ethnic Albanian-dominated Pristina government.
- Kosovar Serbs Voting In Referendum RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- Serbs in northern Kosovo have begun voting in a referendum asking whether or not they accept the authority of Kosovo's ethnic Albanian rulers.
- UN genocide tribunal in Rwanda elects new officials UN News Centre 14 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations tribunal dealing with the worst war crimes committed during the 1994 genocide in Rwanda announced that it has elected a new President and Vice-President.
- Thai Government Insists Bangkok Blasts Not Terrorism-Related VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- Authorities in Thailand say an Iranian man detonated explosives in Bangkok.
- Suspected Iranian Bomber Wounded In Bangkok RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- Officials in Thailand say a man believed to be an Iranian national was seriously wounded when a device he was carrying exploded in one of a series of blasts in Bangkok.
- No proof to name any country's role in Israeli Embassy car blast: India IRNA 14 Feb 2012 -- India’s Union Home Secretary R K Singh: No evidence till now to suggest involvement of any country in the bomb attack on an Israeli mission car in New Delhi.
- India Says 'Well-Trained Terrorist' Attacked Israeli Diplomat VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- Indian Home Minister P. Chidambaram says Monday evening's car blast was targeted at an Israeli diplomat's wife.
- India, Georgia Hunt Bombers Of Israeli Diplomats RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- Indian and Georgian authorities are vowing to hunt down the perpetrators of bombs targeting Israeli diplomats in their countries.
- Iran condemns Zionists' claim on Georgia, India explosion ISNA 14 Feb 2012 -- Iranian FM Spokesman Mehmanparast condemned Zionist regime's claim on Iran's involvement in attacks against the regime's embassies in India and Georgia.
- Zionist regime source of intíl terrorism: Mehmanparast IRNA 14 Feb 2012 -- Zionist regime as source of international terrorism is trying to deviate world public opinion from its criminal acts by accusing Iran of terrorism, Iran FM Spokesperson Mehmanparast said.
- EU Condemns Attacks on Israeli Diplomats RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2012 -- The European Union's High Representative for Foreign Affairs Catherine Ashton has condemned the bomb attacks on Israeli diplomats' cars in India and Georgia.
- Iran to Install Domestic Fuel Rods in Nuclear Reactor RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2012 -- Iran will insert its first domestically-produced nuclear fuel rods into a research reactor in Tehran.
- Iran's Leader To Unveil Nuclear Projects RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- Iran's government website says President Mahmud Ahmadinejad is to unveil several new completed nuclear projects on February 15.
- Iranian Security Forces Thwart Protest RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2012 -- Hundreds of police officers were deployed in Tehran to prevent opposition protesters from taking to the streets for the first time in a year.
- Iran to launch satellite by home-built carrier ISNA 14 Feb 2012 -- Iran would launch Toloo (Sun Rise) satellite with Simorgh (Phoenix) satellite carrier form new space station.
- Bahrain Authorities Block Anniversary Protests VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- Activists in Bahrain say authorities have made arrests and prevented protesters from gathering at a landmark roundabout in the capital, Manama, on the first anniversary of the country's pro-democracy uprising.
- EGYPT: Where emergency crews need rescuing IRIN 14 Feb 2012 -- In Egypt’s political turmoil, one segment of society has been largely forgotten: the first aid responders who risk their lives to rescue victims of violence.
- Few Expectations For Progress When US, North Korea Meet Again VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- U.S. diplomats and South Korean officials have few expectations that talks between American and North Korean diplomats will yield a significant breakthrough.
- Remarks by President Obama and Vice President Xi of the People's Republic of China Before Bilateral Meeting The White House 14 Feb 2012
- Remarks by Vice President Biden and Chinese Vice President Xi at the State Department Luncheon The White House 14 Feb 2012
- Remarks by Vice President Biden and Chinese Vice President Xi to US and China CEOs The White House 14 Feb 2012
- Obama, Xi Jinping Pledge Strengthened Ties, Candor VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- China's vice president, Xi Jinping, has met with President Barack Obama at the White House.
- Obama Hosts Chinese Vice President Xi VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- President Barack Obama has assured Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping that the U.S. welcomes China's rise in the world, but said all countries must follow the same rules on the economy and human rights.
- China's Future Leader In Washington For 'Get-To-Know' Visit RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping is taking his biggest step yet onto the world stage by visiting the White House.
- Obama: Good Relations With China To Help The World RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has told visiting Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping in Washington that good U.S.-China relations will benefit the entire world.
- Rights Group Reports More Tibetan Protests in China VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- Another young Tibetan monk has set himself on fire in Southwest China, in what Tibetan activist groups say is an increasingly unified campaign protesting Chinese rule.
- Pakistan Frees U.S. Man After Bullets Found In Baggage RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani police say an employee of the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad was released after being held for questionin.
- US national arrested in Pakistan IRNA 14 Feb 2012 -- Police in Pakistan’s northwest Tuesday detained an American national at airport for carrying bullets and charger of a pistol.
- In Kazakhstan, International Committee Established To Defend Zhanaozen Victims RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- Kazakh politicians and rights activists have announced the creation of an international committee to defend the victims of the shootings in the southwestern town of Zhanaozen.
- European Parliament Chief Deplores Belarus Situation RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- European Parliament President Martin Schulz has said he is "appalled by the deteriorating situation in Belarus regarding human rights and political freedoms."
- Ukrainian Prison Officials Say Tymoshenko Rejects Health Check RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- Prison authorities say jailed Ukrainian opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko has rejected a medical examination by an international panel.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|