25 December 2011 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Makin Island Sailors and Marines Celebrate Christmas in Singapore NNS 25 Dec 2011 -- While there certainly wasn't snow in the forecast for the local climate, Sailors and Marines assigned to the amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8) still showed signs of holiday spirit by celebrating the Christmas holiday in Singapore, Dec. 25.
- Ma promotes 30 officers to ranks of major/lieutenant general CNA 25 Dec 2011 -- President Ma Ying-jeou has approved the promotion of 30 military officers to the ranks of major general or lieutenant general with effect from Jan. 1, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) announced Sunday.
- Syrian Opposition Urges Arab Observers to Go to Homs VOA 25 Dec 2011 -- An exiled Syrian opposition leader has urged the Arab League to send a nascent observer mission to the central city of Homs, where rights activists say government troops have intensified a crackdown on dissent.
- Sudan Reports Death of Darfur Rebel Group Leader VOA 25 Dec 2011 -- The Sudanese army says it has killed the leader of the main rebel group in the war-torn Darfur region.
- North Korean media calls late leader's son Kim Jong-un 'Supreme Commander' RIA Novosti 25 Dec 2011 -- North Korean state media has called Kim Jong Un, the son of the late leader Kim Jong-Il 'The Supreme Commander,' referring to the new leader tightening control over the country's army, Euronews reported on Sunday.
- Spokesman: US allegations against Iran are baseless IRNA 25 Dec 2011 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mihman-parast said US recent allegations against Iran on Tehran's interference in 9/11 attacks and presence of an al-Qaeda member in Iran are 'totally baseless'.
- Navy commander: Iran to launch its second modern destroyer IRNA 25 Dec 2011 -- Iranian Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said the Iranian navy was constructing its second modern warship destroyer called 'Jamaran-2'.
- Israel's attack on Iran would be suicide: IR Iran Defense Min. IRNA 25 Dec 2011 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said that if Israel wants to commit a suicide it can then conduct a military attack the Islamic republic of Iran.
- Putin still enjoys majority support in Russia - spokesman RIA Novosti 25 Dec 2011 -- Russian Prime Minister and presidential candidate Vladimir Putin still enjoys the support of the majority of Russians, his spokesman Dmitry Peskov said in an interview with AFP news agency on Sunday after the biggest opposition protest in Moscow.
- Russia vote protest has no leaders, lacks unity, pro-Kremlin party says RIA Novosti 25 Dec 2011 -- Protesters who rallied in Moscow on Saturday against the alleged mass electoral fraud at the December 4 parliamentary elections have no leaders and lack unity in their ranks, members of the ruling United Russia party said on Sunday.
- Tens of thousands rally in new election protest in Russia RIA Novosti 25 Dec 2011 -- Tens of thousands of protesters rallied on downtown Moscow's Sakharov Avenue on Saturday to demand a rerun of parliamentary elections they claimed had been rigged, as well as liberal reforms in Russia, turning the temperature up on Vladimir Putin and his plans to return to the Kremlin.
- Biden Calls Iraqi Leaders, Urges Dialogue to Resolve Political Crisis VOA 25 Dec 2011 -- The White House says Vice President Joe Biden has spoken by phone with Iraqi leaders to urge them to hold a 'dialogue' to resolve a political crisis in their fragile power-sharing government.
- Militant Islamic group claims responsibility for Nigeria deadly blasts RIA Novosti 25 Dec 2011 -- A militant Islamic group, Boko Haram said it was behind Sunday's explosions in Nigeria that left almost 30 people dead, Nigeria's The Daily Trust reported.
- Christmas Day Bombings Sweep Nigeria, At Least 39 Dead VOA 25 Dec 2011 -- It was a bloody Christmas in Nigeria where at least four bomb blasts killed 39 people, including dozens at a Catholic church near Abuja.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|