09 July 2011 Military News
- NATO and Libya - Operational Media Update: 08 Jul 2011
- NATO targets Qadhafi regime missile launchers near Tawurgha NATO 09 Jul 2011 -- Today, 9 July 2011, NATO aircraft carried out a precision strike on a pro-Qadhafi missile firing position near Tawurgha, south of Misrata.
- Panetta Assures Karzai of Continued Commitment AFPS 09 Jul 2011 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta assured President Hamid Karzai of the United States' continued, long-term commitment to Afghanistan during meetings in Kabul today.
- Task Force Spartan hosts first reintegration shura at FOB Pasab Army News 09 Jul 2011 -- Combined Task Force Spartan held Maiwand and Zhari district's first reintegration shura June 30 at Forward Operating Base Pasab, Afghanistan, to discuss the peaceful transition of enemy insurgents back into the community.
- Commentary - Afghanistan: The Trouble With The Transition RFE/RL 09 Jul 2011 -- BUG: the mark does not exist in the description file
- Transition Key to Success in Afghanistan, Panetta Says AFPS 09 Jul 2011 -- The key to success in Afghanistan is the ability to transition responsibility to the Afghans, Leon E. Panetta said before beginning his first visit to the nation as defense secretary.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Panetta Discusses First Week as Defense Secretary AFPS 09 Jul 2011 -- At the end of his first week as defense secretary, Leon E. Panetta boarded an E-4B airborne command post aircraft for the trip here.
- Panetta Believes U.S. Close to Defeating al-Qaida AFPS 09 Jul 2011 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said he believes the United States 'is within reach of strategically defeating al-Qaida.'
- Al-Qaida Can Be Dismantled, Petraeus Says AFPS 09 Jul 2011 -- The commander of the International Security Assistance Force said here today he agrees with Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta that al-Qaida can be strategically defeated.
- Bonhomme Richard Earns Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection Certification NNS 09 Jul 2011 -- The crew of amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) successfully earned their anti-terrorism and force protection (ATFP) program certification June 28, meeting all of the requirements ahead of schedule.
- KCNA on Japan's Attitude to US KCNA 09 Jul 2011 -- Japan officially agreed with the U.S. on transferring the Futenma military base in Okinawa Prefecture to Henoko within the prefecture despite the strong protest by the Japanese people.
- Japanese Self Defense Force Medical Staff Supports Pacific Partnership 2011 NNS 09 Jul 2011 -- Medical officers from the Japanese Self Defense Force (JSDF) provided support at a medical civic action project in Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia, in support of Pacific Partnership 2011, July 8.
- Iran test-fires 2 missiles to Indian Ocean- commander IRNA 09 Jul 2011 -- Iran has successfully test-fired two missiles into the mouth of the Indian Ocean about five months ago, IRGC Aerospace Division Commander Brigadier General Amir-Ali Hajizadeh said Saturday.
- India-Turkey to hold joint naval exercises IRNA 09 Jul 2011 -- Navies of India and Turkey will engage each other in two-day wargames off the coast of Mumbai starting Sunday.
- Statement of President Barack Obama Recognition of the Republic of South Sudan The White House 09 Jul 2011
- South Sudan Celebrates Independence VOA 09 Jul 2011 -- The world has its newest nation - South Sudan, which celebrated its independence with ceremony in its capital, Juba, on Saturday.
- As South Sudan celebrates independence, UN vows support in quest for peace, prosperity UN News Centre 09 Jul 2011 -- Amid great jubilation, South Sudan today became the world's newest State, formally seceding from Sudan to attain independence in the culmination of a United Nations-facilitated peace process that ended decades of conflict.
- South Sudan becomes world's newest nation RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2011 -- The Republic of South Sudan on Saturday celebrated its first day as a nation with more than 30 African leaders and senior Western politicians, hours after jubilant crowds danced down the streets of the new capital, Juba.
- Taiwan recognizes new nation of South Sudan CNA 09 Jul 2011 -- Taiwan on Saturday recognized the Republic of South Sudan, the world's newest nation, as a sovereign and independent state.
- Libyan leader Gaddafi threatens to attack Europe RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2011 -- Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi on Friday threatened Europe with retaliation for a NATO-led military campaign, saying he will send hundreds of soldiers to launch attacks there.
- Baku to respond on Russia's proposals on Karabakh settlement RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2011 -- Azerbaijan will respond on Russia's proposals on Nagorny Karabakh settlement after it studies it, Azerbaijani Foreign Minister lmar Mammadyarov said.
- Indian space agency eyes taking foreign satellite on rent to meet demand IRNA 09 Jul 2011 -- Faced with transponder capacity crunch, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is exploring the possibilities of taking 'on rent' a foreign satellite for a couple of years and acquiring more foreign transponders on lease.
- Three of detained Georgian photographers accused of espionage RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2011 -- Four photojournalists, including Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili's personal photographer and his wife, were detained on spying charges early on Thursday. They are accused of providing sensitive information to an 'organization operating under the patronage of a foreign state's intelligence service.'
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|