14 September 2009 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 14 Sep 2009 [PDF]
- DoD News: DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Sept. 13 airpower summary: Super Hornets sting enemy forces AFNS 14 Sep 2009 -- Coalition airpower integrated with ground forces in Iraq and ISAF troops in Afghanistan during operations.
- True team effort behind weather squadron's success AFNS 14 Sep 2009 -- Today's Airmen are becoming increasingly familiar with words like "joint" and "total force" regardless of where they are.
- 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division hands over Diyala to 3rd Stryker Brigade MNF-I 14 Sep 2009 -- With a combined Iraqi - U.S. color guard and leadership from the Iraqi Security Forces, Diyala Governance and U.S. Forces present, the responsibility for the partnership and security of Diyala Province was transferred from the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, "Arctic Wolves", to the 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, "Arrowhead" in a transfer of authority ceremony held on Forward Operating Base Warhorse, Sept. 12
- NATO Training Mission-Iraq Opens New HQ in Int’l Zone (Baghdad) MNF-I 14 Sep 2009 -- With a slice from a scissor, the ribbon was cut and NATO Training Mission-Iraq inaugurated their new headquarters at Forward Operating Base Union III in the International Zone Sept. 13.
- Iraqis Arrest Terrorism Suspects AFPS 14 Sep 2009 -- Iraqi security forces, assisted by U.S. advisors, arrested suspected terrorists in the Baghdad and Tikrit areas of Iraq.
- Army Sends New Explosives Team to Train Iraqis AFPS 14 Sep 2009 -- The Army has deployed the first of its new highly specialized explosive hazards teams to train Iraqis to counter explosives.
- "Dragon" platoon sustains mission Army News 14 Sep 2009 -- More often than not, the credit behind a combat unit's success is placed upon the Soldiers who conduct ground operations on a daily basis.
- Chaos creates competence: Rollover training provides unique experience Army News 14 Sep 2009 -- Since May, there have been 28 MRAP vehicle rollovers in Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- Violence Escalates In Afghanistan, as US, NATO Forces Push Further Against Insurgents VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- Insurgents in Afghanistan have killed a British soldier during an attack on a foot patrol.
- New Bin Laden Tape Calls Obama Powerless to Stop Afghanistan War VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- New claims the President Barack Obama will find himself powerless to halt the American-led war in Afghanistan.
- Bin Laden slams U.S. ties with Israel, calls Obama 'powerless' RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2009 -- Days after anniversary of 9/11 attacks in the US, Al-Qaeda leader Bin Laden warned Americans of ties with Israel.
- Bagram Detention Facility to Implement Case Review Panels AFPS 14 Sep 2009 -- US detention facility in Bagram, Afghanistan, slated to implement detention review boards similar to those employed in Iraq.
- New U.S. Plan Reportedly To Let Afghan Prisoners Challenge Incarceration RFE/RL 14 Sep 2009 -- New rules being prepared would reportedly allow prisoners to challenge their incarceration.
- Reaper crashes in Afghanistan AFNS 14 Sep 2009 -- An Air Force MQ-9 Reaper unmanned aircraft crashed in Afghanistan Sept. 13 at approximately 5:30 a.m. Kabul time.
- Drone Attack Kills 4 Militants in Pakistan VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- A suspected US drone attack in a remote region of Pakistan said to have killed at least 4 militants believed to have links to the Taliban and al-Qaida.
- Multinational Force Keeps Pirates at Bay AFPS 14 Sep 2009 -- Piracy often is romanticized but for those who work on the high seas, piracy is a dangerous and harmful reality.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DoD News: DoD Announces New Information-Sharing Access to Help Fusion Centers Combat Terrorism DoD 14 Sep 2009 -- The Departments of Defense (DoD) and Homeland Security (DHS) today announced an initiative to grant select state and major urban area fusion center personnel access to classified terrorism-related information residing in DoD's classified network
- Osan air mobility squadron aids in helicopter swap out AFNS 14 Sep 2009 -- 731st Air Mobility Squadron C-17 Globemaster III arrived with three new AH-64D Apache Longbow helicopters.
- Picatinny officials unveil packaging design, prototype lab Army News 14 Sep 2009 -- The renovated lab, known to Picatinny employees as building 403, was unveiled during a ribbon-cutting ceremony here June 5.
- Picatinny employees receive Army Research and Development Achievement Awards Army News 14 Sep 2009 -- Twenty ARDEC employees received 2009 Army Research and Development Achievement Awards.
- Picatinny employees recognized among Army's top-ten inventors for 2008 Army News 14 Sep 2009 -- Four Picatinny weapons-development teams have been acknowledged for their superb work.
- C-5M Super Galaxy unofficially sets 41 world records AFNS 14 Sep 2009 -- A Dover aircrew flying a C-5M Super Galaxy, named The Spirit of Normandy, unofficially set 41 world records in a single flight.
- Special unit at Fort Bragg has unique mission training foreign military Army News 14 Sep 2009 -- The US Army Security Assistance Training Management Organization on Fort Bragg was established in 1974.
- U.S. fighter jets to take part in drills in Estonia, Lithuania RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2009 -- US F-15E Strike Eagle fighter jets will take part in two-stage military exercises in Estonia and Lithuania.
- 2nd Brigade Paratroopers become first Soldiers to learn naval surface fire at Marine school Army News 14 Sep 2009 -- Soldiers in ground contact with the enemy may not care where their fire support comes from.
- Building up Bulgaria Army News 14 Sep 2009 -- $50-million contract to construct expeditionary structures at a 135-acre forward operating site near the city of Sliven, Bulgaria.
- New MRAP training in Europe building Soldier confidence Army News 14 Sep 2009 -- Soldiers from the 173rd ABCT are the first in Europe to use MRAPs as part of their mission rehearsal exercise.
- Air Force chief calls for collaboration between Guard, active duty AFNS 14 Sep 2009 -- The Air Force chief of staff called for the Air National Guard and active duty forces to work closer together.
- Donley highlights Guard's contributions, emphasis on 'total force' AFNS 14 Sep 2009 -- The secretary said the success of the nation's military rests on keeping up with an uncertain enemy and an evolving conflict.
- Mesa Verde Sailors and Marines Team for Expedition Exercise Navy NewsStand 14 Sep 2009 -- Sailors aboard USS Mesa Verde and approximately 375 U.S. Marines completed an Amphibious Squadron and Marine Expeditionary Unit exercise Sept. 4.
- Sailors Renovate School for Panamanian Students Navy NewsStand 14 Sep 2009 -- Sailors from three U.S. ships helped paint and partially renovate a Panamanian elementary school here on Sept. 12.
- Guard Joins Texas Rangers in Border Mission AFPS 14 Sep 2009 -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry has asked his state's National Guard to support a special group of Texas Rangers along the Mexican border.
- NAVCENT Hosts Anti-Terrorism Seminar Navy NewsStand 14 Sep 2009 -- US Naval Forces Central Command played host for a one-day seminar on anti-terrorism tactics and the challenges.
- Emergency Response Team Drills for Disaster Navy NewsStand 14 Sep 2009 -- Members of USNH Yokosuka's emergency response team participated in the Kanagawa Prefecture Government evacuation drill.
- VA officials to begin new efforts to explore health consequences of service in Vietnam AFNS 14 Sep 2009 -- Secretary of Veterans Affairs announced plans to begin additional research to better understand the health consequences of service in Vietnam.
- U.S.-British-Kazakh Military Exercises Begin In Kazakhstan RFE/RL 14 Sep 2009 -- Opening ceremonies for military exercises involving Kazakh, US, and British personnel have taken place in Kazakhstan's Ili region.
- Medvedev Again Calls for New Security Treaty VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- Russian President Medvedev has again raised his proposal for a new comprehensive European security pact to replace existing Cold War treaties.
- Russian firm sues arms exporter for $15 mln over Algeria deal RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2009 -- A Moscow-based missile manufacturer is suing the Russian arms export monopoly.
- Belarus air defense units arrive in Russia for Zapad-2009 drills RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2009 -- Train carrying Belarusian S-300 air defense systems has arrived at the Ashuluk training grounds in southern Russia.
- US Says Venezuelan Arms Buildup Threatens Regional Stability VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- The United States said an ongoing military buildup by Venezuela poses a serious challenge to regional stability.
- Venezuela to build strong air defenses with Russian aid RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2009 -- Venezuelan President Chavez announced plans to create a multi-layered air defense network in the country.
- Taiwan sub captain slips off vessel, remains unaccounted for CNA 14 Sep 2009 -- The captain of the submarine Hai Lung, Chen Chi-tsung, slipped and fell overboard from the vessel during a mission
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 14 Sep 2009
- Gaggle by Press Secretary Robert Gibbs aboard Air Force One en route Andrews Air Force Base, 9/14/09 The White House 14 Sep 2009
- DoD News: Contracts for September 14, 2009
- Federal Appeals Court Rules in Favor of CACI in Abu Ghraib Case CACI 14 Sep 2009 -- CACI International Inc (NYSE:CACI) announced today that it welcomes a ruling handed down by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit dismissing the claims in two lawsuits filed in 2004.
- BAE SYSTEMS-THALES TEAM DEMONSTRATES NEW COMBAT ID SYSTEM THAT HELPS REDUCE FRIENDLY-FIRE INCIDENTS BAE Systems 14 Sep 2009 -- The first production Nimrod MRA4 has made its maiden flight from the BAE Systems facility at Woodford in Cheshire
- Raytheon-led Littoral Warfare Weapons Team Demonstrates Successful Underwater Launch Raytheon 14 Sep 2009 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) marked a developmental milestone when it successfully demonstrated the underwater launch of a Raytheon AIM-9X air-to-air test missile shape from a submerged Tomahawk Capsule Launching System.
- Boeing's 1st C-130 AMP Trainer for US Air Force Declared 'Ready For Use' Boeing 14 Sep 2009 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] has completed delivery of the U.S. Air Force's first simulator for the C-130 Avionics Modernization Program (AMP) to Little Rock Air Force Base. The Weapon System Trainer (WST) passed government acceptance testing and was declared "ready for use" on July 20.
- Boeing FAB-T Satellite Communications Program Completes 1st Flight Tests Boeing 14 Sep 2009 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] today announced that its Family of Advanced Beyond Line-of-Sight Terminals (FAB-T) program successfully conducted its first series of flight tests.
- Orbital Awarded New Minotaur V Mission By U.S. Air Force and NASA Orbital Sciences Corp. 14 Sep 2009 -- Orbital Sciences Corporation (NYSE: ORB) today announced that the U.S. Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC) recently ordered the first Minotaur V launch vehicle under the company's Orbital/Suborbital Program-2 (OSP-2) contract
- Boeing Details Tanker Capabilities at US Air Force Association Conference Boeing 14 Sep 2009 -- a range of tanker options the company first introduced in June at the Paris Air Show -- by highlighting the full complement of capabilities of both aircraft.
- Eglin AFB To Be Global Training Site For Lockheed Martin F-35 Lockheed Martin 14 Sep 2009 -- The Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] F-35 Lightning II program remains focused on preparations for opening the Integrated Training Center at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., in 2010 – a facility that will train F-35 pilots and maintainers worldwide.
- Northrop Grumman Wins U.S. Navy Engineering and Technical Services Contract Northrop Grumman 14 Sep 2009 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) subsidiary AMSEC LLC has been awarded a contract by the U.S. Navy for Hull, Mechanical, Electrical (HM&E) and Electronic System Alteration Installation Team (AIT) Services.
- Northrop Grumman Demonstrates New Underwater Encapsulation Launch of Non-Marinized Payloads Northrop Grumman 14 Sep 2009 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) successfully demonstrated the underwater launch of a "non-marinized" payload -- a payload not designed to be subjected to the undersea environment -- by launching a Raytheon AIM-9X air-to-air test missile shape from a submerged Tomahawk Capsule Launching System (CLS).
- Northrop Grumman Submarine Navigation System Upgrade is Approved by U.S. Navy Northrop Grumman 14 Sep 2009 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation's (NYSE:NOC) Sperry Marine business unit has announced that the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) has approved the latest upgrade to its electronic navigation software for U.S. Navy submarines
- Raytheon Starts Developmental Testing of Upgraded Laser-Guided Maverick Missile Raytheon 14 Sep 2009 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) began developmental testing of the U.S. Air Force's newest variant of the laser-guided Maverick missile, the AGM-65E2.
- GE Rolls-Royce Fighter Engine Team Submits Fixed Price Contract Approach GE Aviation 14 Sep 2009 -- In response to cost overruns and schedule delays in major weapon programs, The Weapon Systems Acquisition Reform Act of 2009 was signed into law to mandate competition through the entire life of major defense programs -- including funding competing sources.
- Oshkosh Defense Awarded Additional 352 M-ATVs worth $189 Million Oshkosh 14 Sep 2009 -- Oshkosh Corporation (NYSE:OSK) announced today it has received an additional $189 million award from the U.S. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command Life Cycle Management Command (TACOM LCMC) to deliver an additional 352 MRAP All Terrain Vehicles (M-ATV) to the U.S. Armed Forces by March 2010. The award also includes aftermarket parts packages.
- BAE Systems - Thales demonstrates new combat ID System that helps reduce friendly-fire incidents Thales 14 Sep 2009 -- BAE Systems and Thales recently demonstrated the newest version of their jointly developed combat identification system to U.S. Army officials at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, marking the first time the system was demonstrated with a large, crew-served weapon on a U.S. vehicle.
- Thales unveils new handheld thermal imagers Thales 14 Sep 2009 -- Thales is expanding its family of Sophie thermal imagers with the launch of two new products, the Sophie ZS (zoom surveillance) mono-function and Sophie XF (extended functions) multi-function cameras.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 14 Sep 2009
- Al-Qaida-Linked Group Claims Responsibility for Rocket Attacks on Israel VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- A group linked to al-Qaida has taken responsibility for last week's rocket attacks from Lebanon into Israel.
- Marwan Barghouti: For some - A Murderer, For others - The Best Hope for Peace VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- To many Israelis, he is a murderer guilty of attacks on Jews during the Palestinian uprising of 2000.
- Israeli PM Rejects Halting Settlement Construction VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- Israel's PM: Country has no plans to completely freeze Jewish settlement construction in occupied territory, despite US and Palestinian demands.
- Israeli premier rejects complete freeze of outpost construction RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2009 -- Israeli PM Netanyahu: Country will not permanently freeze the construction of Jewish settlements in the West Bank.
- Mitchell Presses Israelis to Resolve Settlement Issue VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- US special envoy to the Middle East on the second day of a visit to Israel, where he is working to jump-start the peace process.
- Mubarak, Netanyahu discuss resumption of Israeli-Palestinian talks RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2009 -- Egyptian President Mubarak and Israeli PM Netanyahu discussed the resumption of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.
- SOMALIA: Blast kills group of disabled war veterans in Mogadishu IRIN 14 Sep 2009 -- At least 12 disabled people were killed in Mogadishu when a shell landed in their compound, according to eyewitnesses.
- In Brief: DRC's North Kivu Province becoming riskier for aid workers IRIN 14 Sep 2009 -- Security incidents against humanitarian workers in North Kivu Province of the Democratic Republic of Congo have increased by 26 percent since January.
- SUDAN: Security forces struggle as LRA attacks escalate IRIN 14 Sep 2009 -- Attacks attributed to Ugandan-led rebels of the Lord's Resistance Army have killed at least 188 civilians in S. Sudan.
- UN political chief to visit Sri Lanka for talks UN News Centre 14 Sep 2009 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is sending the United Nations’ political chief, B. Lynn Pascoe, to Sri Lanka tomorrow for talks on critical issues.
- South Russian province says most killed militants are foreigners RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2009 -- Almost all militants recently killed in counter-terrorist operations in Russia's North Caucasus republic of Ingushetia were foreign mercenaries, the republic's president said on Monday.
- Road to peace and democracy in Sierra Leone will be bumpy, warns UN official UN News Centre 14 Sep 2009 -- Although Sierra Leone had embarked on a remarkable journey towards a stable, peaceful and democratic country, this journey will be bumpy.
- Trial of two former Bosnian Serb officials begins at UN tribunal UN News Centre 14 Sep 2009 -- Trial of 2 former high-ranking Bosnian Serb officials began at the UN war crimes tribunal set up in the wake of the Balkan conflicts of the 1990s.
- General Assembly agrees to hold more talks on responsibility to protect UN News Centre 14 Sep 2009 -- The General Assembly adopted by consensus its first resolution on the responsibility to protect, agreeing to hold further discussions on the international understanding to intervene to stop atrocities from taking place.
- US Joins UN Human Rights Council VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- After staying on the sidelines for years, the United States for the first time has joined the U.N. Human Rights Council as a full-fledged member.
- Unconstitutional Power Grabs Threaten African Democracy VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- That is the conclusion of a number of scholars and analysts concerned by several recent coups, as well as by the number of African leaders who find ways to stay in office indefinitely.
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist to be released from jail RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2009 -- An Iranian journalist who threw his shoes at then-US president George Bush last December expected to be released from jail.
- Taiwan has enough flu vaccine: officials CNA 14 Sep 2009 -- The government repeated an attempt to allay concern about the outbreak in Taiwan of influenza A(H1N1).
- Number of swine flu cases reaches 275,000 worldwide RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2009 -- Number of confirmed swine flu infections has reached 275,000 with more than 3,500 deaths worldwide.
- Obama Aide Meets With Dalai Lama in India VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- A high-level delegation representing U.S. President Barack Obama has met with the Dalai Lama ahead of the Tibetan spiritual leader's scheduled trip to the United States next month.
- Ex-staffer at UN's Balkan war crimes tribunal found guilty of contempt UN News Centre 14 Sep 2009 -- Former prosecution spokesperson at the UN tribunal set up to tackle crimes committed during the Balkan conflicts of the 1990s found guilty today of contempt of court.
- Yushchenko to discuss direct gas supplies in Turkmenistan RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2009 -- Ukrainian President Yushchenko will discuss direct gas supplies from the Central Asian state.
- Hargeisa Violence Attributed to Electoral Tensions VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- Somaliland's representative to the US, Sa'ad Noor, attributes recent violent demonstrations in Hargeisa to disagreements over voter registration.
- Somaliland President Urges Calm After Deadly Clashes VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- The president of Somaliland is calling for his political opponents to cease public protests and to sit down at the table with him for renewed negotiations.
- ZIMBABWE: One year on and still treading water IRIN 14 Sep 2009 -- It was in many ways a shotgun marriage, except that both the parties in Zimbabwe's unity government were equally unwilling.
- ZANU-PF Official Accuses EU of Undermining Zimbabwe's Power Sharing Accord VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- A senior ally of Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has accused the European Union of undermining the power sharing agreement with Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai.
- Response of Ugandan Police in Riot to Be Investigated VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- Human Rights Watch is investigating police behavior in last week's riots.
- Niger President Tandja to Meet Pan-African Lawmakers VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- Niger's main opposition partisans will support their leader Mahamadou Issifu in court Monday when he is expected to face charges of defying a decree by President Mamadou Tandja.
- Mozambique Opposition Accuses Ruling Party of Plot to Rig Upcoming Vote VOA 14 Sep 2009 -- Mozambique's main opposition Renamo party is expressing worry that the activities of the government will undermine the credibility of general elections scheduled for October 28.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|