06 September 2009 Military News
- Sept. 5 airpower summary: Air Force, Navy aircraft provide overwatch AFNS 06 Sep 2009 -- Coalition airpower integrated with ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan during operations Sept. 5, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Washington Post: Commander Violated NATO Rules in Afghan Air Strike VOA 06 Sep 2009 -- A published report says a German commander in Afghanistan may have violated NATO rules when he ordered an air strike that killed civilians in Kunduz province based on intelligence from just one source.
- New Results Push Karzai Closer to Victory VOA 06 Sep 2009 -- The latest election results in Afghanistan show President Hamid Karzai getting close to the majority vote needed to avoid a runoff.
Defense Policy / Programs
- LHD8 Makes Final Port Call during Maiden Voyage Navy NewsStand 06 Sep 2009 -- Crew members of USS Makin Island (LHD 8) experienced the culture and history of Lima, Peru during a port visit Aug. 29-Sep.1.
- Peleliu XO Fleets Up to Take Command Navy NewsStand 06 Sep 2009 -- USS Peleliu (LHA 5) held a change of command during a ceremony on board Sept. 4.
- Deadly ethnic clashes in southern Sudan spark deep concern from Ban UN News Centre 06 Sep 2009 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today expressed deep concern at the deadly series of attacks and counter-attacks by tribal militias in southern Sudan that have killed or displaced dozens of civilians.
- Hamas Leader says Israeli Settlement Proposal "Dangerous" VOA 06 Sep 2009 -- Hamas leader Khalid Mashaal warns against Israel's proposal to temporarily halt settlement construction in exchange for normal relations with Arab countries.
- Israeli Cabinet Rejects Full Settlement Freeze VOA 06 Sep 2009 -- Israel says it is moving toward, what it calls, a compromise with the United States on the controversial issue of settlement expansion. But less than a complete end to construction may not be enough to revive the peace process with the Palestinians
- Hamas Leader, Egyptian Official Talk Palestinian Unity VOA 06 Sep 2009 -- An Egyptian official working to unite Palestinian factions met late Saturday with the exiled leader of Hamas.
- Risk of Epidemics in LRA Ravaged South Sudan VOA 06 Sep 2009 -- The World Health Organization says Ezo County in southern Sudan is at high risk of epidemic-prone diseases. It says health facilities in this area have been badly damaged by repeated attacks by the Ugandan rebel Lord's Resistance Army.
- Sri Lanka Expelling Senior UN Official VOA 06 Sep 2009 -- Sri Lanka's government is ordering the spokesman for the U.N. Children's Fund to leave the country. Our correspondent reports the expulsion stems from comments by the official that appeared in the international media in recent months.
- YEMEN: Humanitarian situation worsens after short-lived truce IRIN 06 Sep 2009 -- Conditions for thousands of displaced families in northern Yemen continue to deteriorate as a 4 September truce between government troops and Shia rebels to allow relief items in lasted only four hours.
- Egypt reports second swine flu death RIA Novosti 06 Sep 2009 -- A second person has died from a swine flu in Egypt, a spokesman for the Egyptian Health Ministry said on Sunday.
- South Korea, US Show Unified Front on North's Nuclear Weapons VOA 06 Sep 2009 -- South Korea and the United States are wrapping up senior diplomatic talks on North Korea's nuclear weapons with a show of unity. They say a six-nation process that has been underway for six years must be preserved.
- 9 Dead, Many Missing in Philippines Ferry Sinking VOA 06 Sep 2009 -- A ferry carrying more than 900 people sank in the southern Philippines Sunday. Most of the passengers have been rescued, but some people are still missing and at least nine have died.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|