24 May 2009 Military News
- DoD News: DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- DoD News: DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- PRESS CONFERENCE: Operational Update: Maj. Gen. Perkins, Maj. Gen. Atta, May 24, 2009 MNF-I 24 May 2009 -- Maj. Gen. David Perkins, director for MNF-I Strategic Effects, and Maj. Gen. Qassim Atta, Iraqi military spokesman, provide an operational update
- Task Force MP mechanics keep their vehicles rolling in Iraq USMC News 24 May 2009 -- From six- and four-wheeled Mine Resistant, Ambush Protected Vehicles and up-armored 7-ton trucks, to up-armored humvees with mine rollers, motor transport Marines with Task Force Military Police keep the unit's fleet of vehicles running so service members can complete their missions.
- Street fight between Pakistani forces and militants in Swat IRNA 24 May 2009 -- Pakistani security forces Saturday began operation to retake main city in Swat valley as street fighting with the militants continues, the army said.
- Pakistan Battles Militants in Northwest VOA 24 May 2009 -- Pakistani troops continued their push into the Taliban-held main town in Swat Valley on Sunday.
- Foreign Journalists Taken to Pakistan's Swat Valley to Assess Fighting's Toll VOA 24 May 2009 -- Military commanders in Pakistan say that an anti-Taliban offensive in and around the northwestern Swat valley has recaptured a large swath of territory after destroying terrorist bases and killing hundreds of militants.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Top U.S. Military Officer Favors Guantanamo Closure AFPS 24 May 2009 -- The detainee facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, should be closed, the Pentagon’s senior military officer said here today.
- Guantanamo Debate Intensifies VOA 24 May 2009 -- The U.S. Congress may be on holiday recess this week, but the debate over the Obama administration's plans to close the Guantanamo detention center continues. The topic dominated the Sunday news interview programs broadcast each week on major American television networks.
- FISC Jacksonville Provides Logistics Support for UNITAS Gold 2009 Navy NewsStand 24 May 2009 -- Fleet and Industrial Supply Center (FISC) Jacksonville provided logistics support for 25 ships, four submarines, 50 aircraft, and more than 6,500 Sailors from 11 countries during the 50th iteration of the UNITAS Gold exercise held April 17th through May 4th in Mayport, Fla.
- UN Boss Tells Sri Lanka it Cannot Confront Humanitarian Challenge Alone VOA 23 May 2009 -- The United Nations' top official, during a 24-hour visit to Sri Lanka, got a first-hand look at the country's largest camp for civilians displaced by the recently ended war. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon also flew over the devastation where the final battle occurred.
- UN Boss Tells Sri Lanka it Cannot Confront Humanitarian Challenge Alone VOA 24 May 2009 -- The United Nations' top official, during a 24-hour visit to Sri Lanka, got a first-hand look at the country's largest camp for civilians displaced by the recently ended war. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon also flew over the devastation where the final battle occurred.
- Sri Lanka Rejects Full Access to Civilian Camps VOA 24 May 2009 -- Sri Lanka's government says it will not allow aid workers complete access to crowded displacement camps, until it separates rebels suspected of hiding among the civilians.
- Netanyahu: Building in West Bank Settlements Will Continue VOA 24 May 2009 -- A U.S. demand to curb settlement activity topped the agenda at Israel's weekly Cabinet meeting.
- Lavrov welcomes softened stance from Hamas in peace process RIA Novosti 24 May 2009 -- Russia's foreign minister said on Sunday that the Palestinian group Hamas has adopted a more realistic position in negotiations on a peace settlement with Israel.
- Suicide Bomber Kills 7 Somali Capital VOA 24 May 2009 -- A suicide bomber has killed seven people in Somalia's capital, Mogadishu, as Islamist insurgents continue battling pro-government forces.
- Shuttle Lands in California VOA 24 May 2009 -- The U.S. space shuttle Atlantis has landed at Edwards Air Force Base in the western state of California, after bad weather thwarted landing plans on Friday and Saturday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|