30 March 2009 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 31 Mar 2009 [PDF]
- MNF-W Marine dies in non-combat related incident
- Press Roundtable: Maj. Gen. Perkins, March 31, 2009 MNF-I 31 Mar 2009 -- Maj. Gen. David Perkins, MNF-I, speaks with members of the media.
- MND-C, MND-SE combine to create MND-South MNF-I 31 Mar 2009 -- The Multi-National Division - Center absorbed MND-Southeast into its operating area, forming MND-South, during a transfer of responsibility ceremony today at Basra International Airport
- Paratroopers, Iraqi army soldiers protect main city highway Army News 31 Mar 2009 -- With lingering threat of roadside bombs at any turn, Paratroopers work daily with their Iraqi counterparts to ensure people are.
- British Troops End Mission in Basra, Hand Over to US VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- British forces turned over command of military operations in the southern Iraqi city of Basra to US troops.
- Iraqi Commandos hone combat marksmanship techniques USMC News 31 Mar 2009 -- Gunfire erupts and empty shell casings clatter to the ground as Iraqi soldiers take aim at close-range targets.
- Iraqi Special Ops Forces, Air Force Conduct Joint Medevac Mission AFPS 31 Mar 2009 -- Iraqi special operations forces and their air force partners teamed up to conduct their first joint medical evacuation.
- Partnership team aid Iraqi medics in transition Army News 31 Mar 2009 -- Efforts of Coalition and Iraqi Security Forces making it easier for the partnership team to review schedule for medical training.
- Iraq Bombing Kills 7 VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- Iraqi police said a suicide truck bomber killed at least seven people and wounded 17 others in the northern city of Mosul.
- Pentagon Reports Iraq Progress, But Effort Still 'Fragile, Uneven' VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- Pentagon report on Iraq cites significant progress in recent months on security issues.
- Pentagon Report Cites Gains in Iraq, Despite Rifts AFPS 31 Mar 2009 -- The security and political situation in Iraq continues to improve, but ethno-sectarian agendas and other obstacles remain.
- Russia to deliver 22 Mi-171 helicopters to Iraq RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- Russia is to supply Iraq with 22 Mi-171 Hip transport helicopters.
- Official Says Iraq Needs Help To Clear 25 Million Unexploded Devices RFE/RL 31 Mar 2009 -- Senior official in charge of de-mining efforts warned resources insufficient to eliminate the threat to civilians.
- DoD News Briefing with Maj. Gen. Formica From Kabul DoD 31 Mar 2009 -- Presenter: Commanding General, Combined Security Transition Command Afghanistan Maj. Gen. Richard Formica
- AFGHANISTAN: Food aid not reaching most vulnerable women, children IRIN 31 Mar 2009 -- Despite a July 2008 joint emergency appeal for US$404 million to help the most vulnerable 550,000 pregnant and lactating women and under-five children in Afghanistan, nutritious food aid - specially fortified food -is yet to reach those in need.
- Top US Officer Calls 2009 'Critical' for Afghanistan VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- The top U.S. military officer says 2009 is a critical year for implementing President Barack Obama's new strategy for Afghanistan.
- Clinton Calls for Renewed, Patient International Commitment to Afghanistan AFPS 31 Mar 2009 -- Secretary of State Clinton calling for renewed, but patient international support for the country.
- One Killed, 12 Detained in Afghanistan Operations AFPS 31 Mar 2009 -- Afghan and coalition forces killed one person and detained 4 known militants and 8 suspected militants during operations in Afghanistan.
- Teenager killed by troops during shootout in Afghanistan RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- NATO forces inadvertently killed a 15-year-old civilian overnight during a shootout with Afghan militants in Khost.
- Combat Outpost Serves as Front Line in Afghanistan Fight AFPS 31 Mar 2009 -- Next to a small village in Afghanistan’s fertile Jalrez Valley, a platoon of US soldiers busy themselves fortifying a fighting position.
- President's Plan Signals U.S. Commitment to Bolster Afghan Security AFPS 31 Mar 2009 -- President Barack Obama’s decision to send 4,000 extra trainers signals US commitment to bolster security there.
- Mullen Cites High Priority of Afghanistan-Pakistan Strategy AFPS 31 Mar 2009 -- Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff: Entire US government behind President Obama’s strategy for Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- Clinton Calls for Increased Aid for Afghanistan VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is urging the international community to provide more security and development aid to Afghanistan.
- Clinton Calls US-Iranian Meeting 'Promising' VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- Senior U.S. and Iranian leaders met on the sidelines of an international conference in The Hague aimed at Afghanistan.
- Iran supports regional solution on Afghanistan IRNA 31 Mar 2009 -- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Asia-Pacific Affairs said here Monday that Iran supports any regional solution for existing problems in Afghanistan.
- Delegates At Afghan Conference Praise New U.S. Strategy RFE/RL 31 Mar 2009 -- President Karzai believes new strategy is the right approach for the international community to take.
- U.S., Iran Headline Hague Conference On Afghanistan RFE/RL 31 Mar 2009 -- Participants from roughly 80 countries are gathering in The Hague for a UN-backed conference on the future of Afghanistan.
- International conference on Afghanistan opens in The Hague RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- An international conference devoted to Afghanistan's opened in The Hague.
- Afghanistan: flawed elections could roll back progress, warns Ban UN News Centre 31 Mar 2009 -- Secretary-General Ban: Too much is at stake for Afghanistan’s upcoming presidential elections to be flawed.
- Indian PM to Discuss Taliban with Obama VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- Indian PM Singh is expected to tell President Barack Obama there is no difference between good and bad Taliban when they meet on the G20 sidelines.
- Pakistan: arrested militant an Afghan national IRNA 31 Mar 2009 -- Pakistan's Interior Ministry Chief Malik: Man arrested with hand grenades during operation in a police center in Lahore was an Afghan national.
- Pakistani Taliban Claims Responsibility in Lahore Police Attack VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- Pakistani officials: Assault on a police training center outside Lahore was planned by a top Pakistani Taliban commander.
- Pakistani Taliban Leader Claims Responsibility for Lahore Attack, Threatens US VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- Pakistan's Taliban claimed responsibility for a deadly police academy attack and threatened to attack the US.
- Joint Munitions Command aids North Dakota flood fight Army News 31 Mar 2009 -- all services, all types of conventional ammo from bunker buster bombs to rifle rounds. JMC manages plants that produce more than 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition annually and the depots that store the nation's ammunition for training and combat.
- Airmen create control center to support N.D. flood operation AFNS 31 Mar 2009 -- Grand Forks Air Force Base officials continue to support the effort as the National Logistics Staging Area.
Defense Policy / Programs
- OC&S begins final countdown Army News 31 Mar 2009 -- And so it begins - not only does the Ordnance Corps mark its 197th anniversary this year, but it will also close the chapter on the U.S. Army Ordnance Center and Schools' 90-year history at Aberdeen Proving Ground as Phase I of the BRAC initiative begins its task of moving the schools to Fort Lee, Va., this May
- North Carolina National Guard maintenance shop features green design Army News 31 Mar 2009 -- A green-design maintenance shop highlights the pollution prevention program of the North Carolina Army National Guard (NCARNG).
- Cleanup returns 675 acres to Fort Bragg real estate inventory Army News 31 Mar 2009 -- With $2 billion in new construction scheduled for Fort Bragg over the next three years, due to the Base Realignment and Closure Act (BRAC) and other expansion initiatives, developable land is in high demand
- Europe aviation sustainers boost warfighter support Army News 31 Mar 2009 -- The Theater Aviation Sustainment Manager - Europe is meeting the challenge of an increased operational demand with dedication, perseverance and a commitment to the mission
- Army segues from LOGCAP III to IV Army News 31 Mar 2009 -- With the recent announcement by President Barack Obama downsizing forces in Iraq and increasing in Afghanistan, the Army is adapting its contracted support for troops in overseas contingency operations
- Explosive ordnance teams help train chemical officers Army News 31 Mar 2009 -- Forces Command and Training and Doctrine Command Soldiers teamed up for a combined exercise at Training Area 27A, March 11
- Value Engineering Achievement Award Winners Announced DoD 31 Mar 2009 -- The Department of Defense has announced the winners of the fiscal 2008 Department of Defense Value Engineering Achievement Awards
- DoD Grants $17.4 Million To Minority Academic Institutions DoD 31 Mar 2009 -- The Department of Defense announced today the awarding of 37 grants totaling $17.4 million as part of the fiscal 2008 Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Minority Institutions (HBCU/MI) program
- Petraeus Emphasizes Shared Goals at Defense Chiefs Conference AFPS 31 Mar 2009 -- A meeting of chiefs of defense here re-emphasizes the shared commitments of Central Asia and the US to security and stability in the region.
- Surveillance Vehicles Take Flight Using Alternative Energy Navy NewsStand 31 Mar 2009 -- Office of Naval Research's "Ion Tiger" unmanned aerial vehiclewill test a hydrogen-powered fuel cell design this spring.
- Robots reduce risks for paratroopers Army News 31 Mar 2009 -- Officer in charge of robotics at the Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Center at Folk Polk takes his job seriously for a very personal reason.
- Riding Dirty Marine Special Operations Command Train on All-terrain Vehicles USMC News 31 Mar 2009 -- Imagine a job that allows you to take a few days off to drive all-terrain vehicles down muddy trails.
- Patch that's perfect: 4th MEB distinct unit insignia Army News 31 Mar 2009 -- The 4th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade is a new unit with a new patch, and ready for new missions.
- Southern Partnership Station Returns to Nicaragua Navy NewsStand 31 Mar 2009 -- High speed vessel Swift anchored off the coast of Bluefields for the second time in as many months to begin Southern Partnership Station training mission.
- U.S. warship visits Black Sea port in Georgia RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- US missile frigate arrived in Georgia for an official visit that will include exercises with the Georgian navy.
- Red Flag-Alaska begins 2009 season AFNS 31 Mar 2009 -- Approximately 1,400 U.S. and foreign participants are beginning to gather here this week to participate in Red Flag-Alaska 09-2, scheduled for April 16 to May 1.
- Yokota Airmen train with Japanese police AFNS 31 Mar 2009 -- 374th Security Forces Squadron conducted a joint response training exercise with members of the Japanese National Police-Fussa Division.
- NAVFAC Partners with USMC to Commission Energy Generating Wind Turbine Navy NewsStand 31 Mar 2009 -- The Marine Corps commissioned its first wind turbine for use in clean energy generation at Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow.
- Language Emerges as Element of National Security AFPS 31 Mar 2009 -- Language and culture are “almost inextricably intertwined,” and military personnel must be knowledgeable in both.
- Ukrainians, Danes, Americans resupply remote outpost AFNS 31 Mar 2009 -- Thule Air Base was the scene of an historic event of multinational cooperation between 3 countries that less than 20 years ago glared at each other across the Iron Curtain.
- At Least 190 Cases of Aerial Espionage Perpetrated against DPRK in March KCNA 31 Mar 2009 -- The US and S Korean military perpetrated intensive aerial espionage against the DPRK in March.
- Medvedev Outlines Path to Better US-Russian Ties VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- The U.S. and Russia presidents are scheduled to meet for the first time Wednesday on the sidelines of the G20 summit in London.
- Russia wants new dialogue with NATO - Medvedev RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said on Tuesday that his country intends to build new dialogue with NATO.
- Four top Russian army generals lose their ranks, keep 'civilian' jobs RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- Four key Russian generals have been discharged from the Armed Forces, but will continue in the Defense Ministry.
- Victory Day parade to include 9,000 personnel, military hardware RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- About 9,000 personnel, 110 military vehicles and 70 aircraft will take part in procession on Moscow's Red Square.
- Replacing Trident nukes within NPT framework, UK insists IRNA 31 Mar 2009 -- British government denied that any plans to replace the country's nuclear warheads would be in breach of the Non-Proliferation Treaty.
- U.S., Georgia to Continue Strategic Partnership AFPS 31 Mar 2009 -- The United States and Georgia will continue to work on a strategic partnership over the coming years, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said here yesterday.
- Georgian president vows to build strong, modern army RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- Georgian President Saakashvili pledged to build new and stronger armed forces in the light of recent conflict with Russia.
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 31 Mar 2009
- Gaggle by White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs Aboard AF1 en route london, 3-31-09 The White House 31 Mar 2009
- Press Briefing by Deputy National Security Advisor Mike Froman On The G20 The White House 31 Mar 2009
- DoD News: Contracts for March 31, 2009
- ATK Acquires Eagle Industries in Move That Expands Its Position in Tactical Accessories Market ATK 31 Mar 2009 -- Alliant Techsystems has acquired Eagle Industries, as it expands its position in the domestic and international tactical accessories markets serving military and law enforcement customers.
- Boeing Teams With TAK to Develop Wing Assembly for 2,000-Pound JDAM ER Boeing 31 Mar 2009 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] today announced an agreement with Times Aerospace Korea, LLC (TAK) to jointly develop a wing assembly for the 2,000-pound Joint Direct Attack Munition Extended Range (JDAM ER).
- Fast becoming the new NATO standard Rheinmetall Defence 31 Mar 2009 -- Public Works and Government Services Canada has contracted Rheinmetall Defence to equip the Canadian Navy's Halifax-class frigates with the Mass (Multi Ammunition Softkill System) naval countermeasures system. Under Canada's FELEX frigate modernisation programme, a total of 12 frigates will be equipped with Mass as part of Project Shield. Deliveries will take place during the 2010-2014 timeframe.
- Sagem navigation systems chosen for Italian navy's FREMM multi-mission frigates Sagem (Safran group) 31 Mar 2009 -- The SIGMA 40 inertial navigation system developed and produced by Sagem (SAFRAN Group) has been chosen over a field of international competitors for the Italian navy's new European Multi-Mission Frigates (FREMM)*. Sagem signed the contract, including logistic support services, with SELEX Sistemi Integrati (Finmeccanica Group), prime contractor for the ship's combat system.
- Australian Navy to use Thales Missile Control System Thales 31 Mar 2009 -- Recently, the Australian Department of Defense and Thales Nederland signed a contract for a user licence of Thales's Mid-Course Guidance and Sampled Data Homing function.
- CACI Awarded $11 Million Prime Contract to Support IT Portfolio Management at U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs CACI 31 Mar 2009 -- CACI International Inc (NYSE:CAI) announced today that it has been awarded an $11 million prime contract to support the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in budgetary compliance initiatives involving health and benefits administration.
- Northrop Grumman Analysis Center Paper: Synchronization of Deterrence, Defense is Critical to Future National Nuclear Strategy Northrop Grumman 31 Mar 2009 -- Nuclear deterrence and defense should no longer be thought of and structured as separate strategies argues a new paper released today by Northrop Grumman Corporation's (NYSE:NOC) Analysis Center.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 31 Mar 2009
- Obama Urges Sudan to Allow Aid Groups to Return VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- U.S. President Barack Obama is urging Sudan's government to let recently expelled humanitarian aid groups return to the country.
- Summit of Arab Leaders rejects ICC warrant IRNA 31 Mar 2009 -- Arab leaders concluded their annual summit in Doha voicing support for Sudanese President Bashir and rejecting international arrest warrant.
- Sudan envoy to visit Moscow to discuss al-Bashir arrest warrant RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- Envoy will arrive in Moscow to discuss President al-Bashir's arrest warrant, as well as Sudan-Russia relations.
- Boosting deployment of UN-African Union force focus of Darfur meeting UN News Centre 31 Mar 2009 -- Representatives of the Government of Sudan, AU and UN met in Darfur to discuss ways to facilitate and expedite deployment of joint peacekeeping force.
- Chechen leader says Russia to end counterterrorist operation RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- Russia's National Anti-Terrorist Committee decided at its meeting to end the counterterrorist operation in Chechnya.
- 67 militants killed in N. Caucasus since start 2009 - FSB chief RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- At least 67 militants have been killed and 233 detained in special operations since the beginning of 2009.
- A Homecoming for Some Mogadishu Residents VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- The departure of Ethiopian forces from Somalia ended a two-year occupation meant to support the Transitional Federal Government.
- Somali Government Peace Efforts Receive Cash Boost VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- The new Somali administration's efforts at restoring peace and stability have received a significant boost from the African Union, which is giving $1 million to Mogadishu to strengthen its security forces.
- Escalating violence uproots tens of thousands of Central Africans, UN says UN News Centre 31 Mar 2009 -- Intensified clashes in the Central African Republic have driven tens of thousands of civilians from their homes.
- First 'Killing Fields' suspect stands trial in joint UN-Cambodian court UN News Centre 31 Mar 2009 -- Hearings at a United Nation-backed genocide tribunal have begun in the first trial of a suspect accused of crimes committed during Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia.
- Ban welcomes US decision to seek seat on UN Human Rights Council UN News Centre 31 Mar 2009 -- Secretary-General Ban welcomed the announcement by the US that it will seek a seat on the United Nations Human Rights Council.
- KCNA Report on US Reporters KCNA 31 Mar 2009 -- The illegal entry of U.S. reporters into the DPRK and their suspected hostile acts have been confirmed by evidence and their statements.
- Dubai police chief says criminal group behind Yamadayev's murder RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- Dubai police chief: Murder of Sulim Yamadayev was organized by a criminal group.
- Seven arrested in Dubai over Yamadayev assassination - consul RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- At least seven people have been arrested in Dubai in connection with the murder of Sulim Yamadayev.
- Chechen commander Yamadayev dead - Dubai police source RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- Sulim Yamadayev, the former commander of the Chechen Vostok battalion, has been confirmed dead.
- Family members in Dubai say Yamadayev alive - Russian daily RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- Sulim Yamadayev, the former commander of the Chechen Vostok battalion, has not died following an attack in Dubai over the weekend.
- Israel Prepares to Swear In Netanyahu as Prime Minister VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- Israel is preparing to swear in rightist Benjamin Netanyahu as prime minister.
- Israeli parliament due to confirm new Likud government RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- Israel's parliament will vote to approve the government coalition assembled by Likud party leader Benjamin Netanyahu.
- PACE Urges 'Restraint, Calm' From Georgian Authorities, Opposition RFE/RL 31 Mar 2009 -- Two co-rapporteurs from the Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly (PACE) are calling on Georgian authorities and opposition protesters to exercise restraint during major antigovernment protests scheduled for April 9.
- SADC Leaders Suspend Madagascar, Pledge Economic Support for Zimbabwe VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- Southern African leaders suspended Madagascar for what they call an unconstitutional change of government earlier this month.
- Guinea Politicians Welcome Election Date VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- Politicians in Guinea are welcoming the military government's decision to hold elections later this year.
- Russia must be involved in Ukraine gas system upgrade - Merkel RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- The European Union and Ukraine must work with Russia in modernizing the Ukrainian natural gas pipeline network.
- Gazprom urges EU to look into causes of gas conflict with Ukraine RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- Gazprom has asked the EU to delve into the causes of January's gas dispute between Russia and Ukraine.
- Ukraine's Tymoshenko wants better relations with Russia RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- Ukrainian PM Tymoshenko wants to see friendly relations between Kiev and Moscow.
- Ukraine's Tymoshenko seeks teamwork with president RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2009 -- Ukrainian PM Yulia Tymoshenko: Wants to cooperate with President Viktor Yushchenko, and denied she was in conflict with him.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|