18 August 2008 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 18 Aug 2008 [PDF]
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing with Lt . Gen. Austin from Iraq 18 Aug 2008 -- Presenter: Commander, Multinational Corps Iraq Lt . Gen. Lloyd Austin III
- Troops Catch 14 Suspects, Seize Weapons in Iraq AFPS 18 Aug 2008 -- Coalition and Iraqi forces captured 14 suspects and seized scores of weapons and munitions over the past three days.
- Violence Down, Stability Up Across Iraq, U.S. General Says AFPS 18 Aug 2008 -- From Mosul in the north to Basra in the south, insurgent-committed violence in Iraq continues to decrease as stability visibly increases, a senior U.S. military officer posted in Iraq said today.
- Troops in Afghanistan Kill Armed Militants, Seize Suspect AFPS 18 Aug 2008 -- Coalition and Afghan forces killed an unknown number of armed militants and seized a suspect.
- U.S. Military Warns Of Attacks On Afghan Independence Day RFE/RL 18 Aug 2008 -- Thousands of extra police have been stationed in Kabul amid fears of possible terror attacks during celebrations marking the 89th anniversary of the country's independence from Britain.
- 9 Afghan Civilians Killed in Suicide Attack in Khost VOA 18 Aug 2008 -- U.S. and Afghan officials say a suicide bombing outside a U.S. military base in eastern Afghanistan killed nine Afghan civilians and wounded 13.
- $2 Million Humanitarian Mission in Georgia to Continue AFPS 18 Aug 2008 -- The U.S. military has delivered $2 million worth of humanitarian aid to Georgia in an ongoing effort to relieve the war-torn former Soviet republic.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department of Defense Releases Selected Acquisition Reports 18 Aug 2008 -- The Department of Defense (DoD) has released details on major defense acquisition program cost, schedule, and performance changes since the December 2007 reporting period
- Chief McKinley talks about Air Force focus areas AFPN 18 Aug 2008 -- "Hold your heads up high," said Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force Rodney J. McKinley during his enlisted call in the Louis F. Garland Department of Defense Fire Academy high bay here Aug. 13.
- Acting secretary addresses VFW AFPN 18 Aug 2008 -- Acting Secretary of the Air Force Michael Donley spoke before an audience of Veterans of Foreign Wars members Aug. 18 at their national convention here.
- Travis, California firefighters extinguish blaze AFPN 18 Aug 2008 -- Travis Air Force Base emergency responders and members from several fire departments from the local area battled through the night and into the morning to prevent an eight-alarm blaze from potentially spreading through base housing Aug 16.
- Air Guard Predator pilots increase combat air patrols AFPN 18 Aug 2008 -- Although they are some of the busiest pilots in the U.S. military, Air National Guard pilots who are now flying unmanned aircraft from the ground said they still climb into the cockpit and get some flight time whenever they can.
- Future Predator/Reaper formal training unit announced AFPN 18 Aug 2008 -- Gen. John D.W. Corley, Air Combat Command commander, with concurrence from the Chief of Staff of the Air Force, announced today that Holloman AFB, N.M., is the preferred potential location for an additional unmanned aircraft system formal Training unit.
- Rodney M. Davis returns from RIMPAC, Workups Navy NewsStand 18 Aug 2008 -- Friends and family members of the crew of USS Rodney M. Davis (FFG 60) stood patiently on the pier as the ship moored at Naval Station Everett Aug. 15, following the guided missile frigate's participation in the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2008 exercise.
- Naval Magazine Indian Island Changes Command Navy NewsStand 18 Aug 2008 -- Naval Magazine (NAVMAG) Indian Island changed hands Aug. 15 during a traditional change of command ceremony.
- CARAT Exercises Come to a Close Navy NewsStand 18 Aug 2008 -- Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT), an annual series of bilateral military and humanitarian exercises between the United States and several Southeast Asian nations, came to a close Aug. 10 with the closing ceremony of the final phase in Brunei.
- USS Ronald Reagan Strike Group Arrives in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Navy NewsStand 18 Aug 2008 -- Three ships and more than 5,500 Sailors of Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 7 arrived in Malaysia for a port visit Aug. 18.
- PANAMAX 2008 Begins Work-up Phase Navy NewsStand 18 Aug 2008 -- The guided-missile frigate USS Kauffman (FFG 59), guided-missile destroyers USS Farragut (DDG 99) and USS Forrest Sherman (DDG 98), Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 40, and 19 partner nations began the "work up" phase of Fuerzas Aliadas (FA) PANAMAX 2008, Aug. 14.
- The West's Coalition Of The Impotent RFE/RL 18 Aug 2008 -- In what seems to be a spooky reminder of the intra-European fallout over the Iraq war in 2003, observers and commentators are asking fearfully whether this week's Georgia-Russia conflict will reanimate the divide between Old Europe and New Europe.
- Condoleezza Rice due in Warsaw to sign U.S. missile shield deal RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2008 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to visit Warsaw to sign a deal on the deployment of elements of a U.S. missile shield.
- Irregular Warfare Capabilities Remain Priority for DoD AFPS 18 Aug 2008 -- Diminishing the threat from violent extremism is the U.S. military's top priority, but not its only priority.
- Ground, Air Defense Forces hold antiaircraft drills in S. Russia RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2008 -- Antiaircraft units from the Far East Military District start a tactical drill in southern Russia's Krasnodar Territory.
- India sends four major warships to Red Sea IRNA 18 Aug 2008 -- India has sent four of its major warships to the Red Sea and the African coast on a two-month-long deployment.
- Indian Air Chief Marshal to depart for Malaysia IRNA 18 Aug 2008 -- India's Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal F H Major would embark on a three-day official visit to Malaysia.
- Press Briefing by Gordon Johndroe The White House 18 Aug 2008
- DoD News: Contracts for August 18, 2008
- Northrop Grumman Applies Laser Weapon Successes to Design Beam Control System for U.S. Army Mobile Laser Northrop Grumman 18 Aug 2008 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has performed all preliminary design review requirements for a rugged beam control subsystem for the U.S. Army's High Energy Laser Technology Demonstrator (HEL TD).
- ATK Completes Second Advanced Anti-Radiation Guided Missile Firing (AARGM) in Eight Day Period ATK 18 Aug 2008 -- Alliant Techsystems (NYSE: ATK), the U.S. Navy, and the Italian Air Force completed another challenging missile firing of the AGM-88E Advanced Anti-Radiation Guided Missile (AARGM) at the Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake on August 11, 2008.
- BAE SYSTEMS THERMAL IMAGERS TO IMPROVE VISIBILITY ON SPECIAL OPERATIONS FORCES VEHICLES BAE Systems 18 Aug 2008 -- BAE Systems will equip special operations forces vehicles with thermal imaging systems that enhance forward and rearward visibility.
- BAE SYSTEMS WINS PRIME CONTRACTOR POSITION ON $6.9 BILLION F2AST CONTRACT BAE Systems 18 Aug 2008 -- BAE Systems has been named as one of the prime contractors on the U.S. Air Force's service's Future Flexible Acquisition and Sustainment Tool (F2AST) contract.
- Next Generation Arrowhead® and Longbow Systems Support Apache Block III First Flight Lockheed Martin 18 Aug 2008 -- The Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT]/Northrop Grumman [NYSE: NOC] Longbow Unmanned Aerial Systems Tactical Common Data Link Assembly (UTA) and Lockheed Martin's Arrowhead® modernized target acquisition/night vision sensor debuted during the first flight of the U.S. Army's AH-64 Apache Block III attack helicopter.
- Fourth F-35 Lightning II Rolls Out As Production Line Fills Up At Lockheed Martin Lockheed Martin 18 Aug 2008 -- With one F-35 Lightning II aircraft in structural testing, two in flight test, six in final assembly and another 14 in various stages of production, Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] added to the program's momentum on Saturday by finishing assembly of the fourth F-35 aircraft, a short takeoff/vertical landing (STOVL) F-35B.
- Lockheed Martin C-5m Super Galaxy Completes Flight Test Lockheed Martin 18 Aug 2008 -- The Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] C-5 Reliability Enhancement and Re-engining Program (RERP) flight test team has successfully completed developmental testing of all three C-5 RERP test aircraft
- Northrop Grumman to Supply Inertial Navigation Systems for New Spanish Navy Maritime Action Ships Northrop Grumman 18 Aug 2008 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has won a contract to supply high-accuracy inertial navigation systems (INS) for four new Buques de Accion Maritima (Maritime Action Ships) being built for the Spanish navy at the Navantia shipyard in Ferrol, northwest Spain.
- SAIC Awarded $410 Million Task Order by General Services Administration Federal Systems Integration and Management Center SAIC 18 Aug 2008 -- Science Applications International Corporation (NYSE: SAI) today announced it has been awarded a task order by the General Services Administration (GSA) Federal Systems Integration and Management (FEDSIM) Center.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 18 Aug 2008
- NATO Attempts Balancing Act Over Georgia-Russia Conflict RFE/RL 19 Aug 2008 -- Russia's invasion of Georgia caught the European Union and NATO unaware. It has exacerbated existing divisions within both organizations -- which may have been part of the putative Russian master plan in the first place.
- Confused Picture Of Ethnic Cleansing, Atrocities Emerges In Georgia RFE/RL 18 Aug 2008 -- Moscow has been slow to pull its troops out of Georgia, with the first units promised to leave only now
- Doubts Linger Amid Russian Claims Of Georgia Pullout RFE/RL 18 Aug 2008 -- All eyes are on Russia to see if it will honor its pledge to begin a military pullout from Georgia after brief but intense fighting over the breakaway region of South Ossetia.
- UN seeking nearly $59 million to aid Georgian conflict victims UN News Centre 18 Aug 2008 -- The United Nations and its humanitarian partners today appealed for $58.6 million to meet the needs for the next six months of almost 130,000 people affected by the recent crisis in Georgia.
- Medvedev: Russia Will Crush Anyone Threatening its Citizens VOA 18 Aug 2008 -- Russian President Dmitri Medvedev has promised a shattering blow to anyone threatening Russian citizens.
- Moscow recalls bid for Russia-NATO Council emergency meeting RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2008 -- Russia has withdrawn its request for an emergency session of the Russia-NATO Council to address Georgia.
- S.Ossetian leader sacks government, proclaims state of emergency RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2008 -- South Ossetian President Eduard Kokoity dismissed the government and proclaimed a one-month state of emergency.
- Abkhazia to deploy guards on Georgian border RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2008 -- Abkhazia will start deploying guards on Monday on its de facto border with Georgia.
- German Chancellor Says Russia Delaying Withdrawal From Georgia VOA 18 Aug 2008
- Russia begins withdrawing troops from Georgia RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2008 -- Russia began pulling back troops from Georgia on Monday in accordance with a plan drawn up by the Russian and French presidents.
- Russian troops start pullout from South Ossetia capital RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2008 -- Russian armored vehicles started to pull out of the South Ossetian capital of Tskhinvali toward the Russian Republic of North Ossetia.
- Saakashvili says ready for talks with Russia after troops leave RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2008 -- President Mikheil Saakashvili: Georgia ready to settle all issues with Russia through dialogue only after Russian troops withdraw.
- Russia says Georgia blocked prisoner swap deal RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2008 -- A senior Russian military official said Georgia pulled out of a prisoner swap agreement to hand over 11 Georgians in exchange for five Russians.
- UN, EU Sign Deal on Policing Kosovo VOA 18 Aug 2008 -- Representatives of the United Nations and the European Union signed a document designating the responsibilities of the new EU mission in Kosovo.
- Ban welcomes new UN centre pushing for disarmament in Asia-Pacific UN News Centre 18 Aug 2008 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the launch of a new United Nations facility promoting disarmament and non-proliferation in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Arroyo Orders Military to Restore Peace After Muslim Rebels Launch Attacks VOA 18 Aug 2008 -- Philippine President Gloria Arroyo vowed to take action against rebels following new attacks in Mindanao.
- Sudan's north-south accord fragile despite recent progress - UN envoy UN News 18 Aug 2008
- UGANDA: Chissano in Gulu to salvage LRA-Govt peace deal IRIN 18 Aug 2008 -- United Nations special envoy for Lord's Resistance Army-affected areas, Joachim Chissano, said Joseph Kony willing to sign a deal to end conflict in northern Uganda.
- Thailand, Cambodia Open Talks on Border Dispute VOA 18 Aug 2008 -- The foreign ministers of Thailand and Cambodia meet this week to end a border dispute over an ancient temple.
- Analysis: Challenges After Musharraf cfr.org 18 Aug 2008 -- Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf, under pressure to step down or face impeachment, announced his resignation (Dawn) on August 18. Pakistan's two ruling coalition parties had threatened to impeach him on charges that included violating the constitution, damaging the economy, and unlawfully dismissing senior judges
- Secretary Rice Offers 'Deep Gratitude' to Resigning Pakistani President AFPS 18 Aug 2008 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice today offered "deep gratitude" to outgoing Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf for his commitment in the war against terrorism and extremism.
- Initial Reaction To Pakistani President's Resignation Cautious RFE/RL 18 Aug 2008 -- News of Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf's resignation is being received with caution both domestically and internationally.
- Pakistani President's Resignation Raises New Questions RFE/RL 18 Aug 2008 -- After nine tumultuous years in power, 64-year-old former commando General Pervez Musharraf has resigned as president instead of battling an impeachment process in parliament.
- Mohammedmian Soomro assumes office as Pakistan's acting president IRNA 18 Aug 2008
- Pakistan's President Resigns VOA 18 Aug 2008 -- Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf announced his resignation, before his political opponents planned to begin impeachment proceedings against him.
- Pakistan's Musharraf Resigns In Face Of Impeachment Motion RFE/RL 18 Aug 2008 -- Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, under a serious threat of impeachment from the country's governing coalition, has announced he is resigning from office "in the interest of the nation."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|