21 June 2008 Military News
- June 20 airpower summary: F-16s in the fight AFPN 21 Jun 2008
- Coalition Forces Detain 25 Al-Qaida in Iraq Suspects VOA 21 Jun 2008 -- The U.S. military in Iraq says coalition forces have detained 25 suspected members of al-Qaida in Iraq in operations around the country since Friday.
- Realistic training prepares Reserve Marines for Iraq USMC News 21 Jun 2008 -- Reserve Marines from Company F, 2nd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment acclimated themselves to the desert heat here June 18-20 in preparation for their upcoming deployment to Iraq.
- Marines remain vigilant in Hit USMC News 21 Jun 2008 -- Marines here played the role of policemen by following one lead to another to bring down criminals and make the area safer for everyone.
- Bomb Blasts Kill at Least 5 Foreign Troops in Afghanistan VOA 21 Jun 2008 -- A series of roadside bombings have killed at least five foreign troops throughout Afghanistan, capping a violent week in the war-torn nation.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Joint Conference Exhibits Showcase Support for U.S. Warfighters AFPS 21 Jun 2008 -- Members of the military services, Defense Department civilian employees and military contractors showcased how they harness technology to provide support for U.S. warfighters at the 2008 Joint Warfighter Conference held here June 17-19.
- NSW Commander Departs for U.S. 4th Fleet Navy NewsStand 21 Jun 2008 -- The commander of Naval Special Warfare Command (NSW) turned over command of 8,400 Navy SEALs, special warfare combatant-craft crewmen and supporting staff during a ceremony today at the Naval Amphibious Base in Coronado, Calif.
- Stennis Receives an Outstanding in FEP Navy NewsStand 21 Jun 2008 -- USS John C. Stennis received an outstanding score on its Final Evaluation Problem (FEP) June 16 when the crew demonstrated it could defend the ship and take care of combat casualties in multiple, complex scenarios.
- Russia says UN chief's Kosovo plan outside his jurisdiction RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2008 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry said on Saturday the UN chief's proposals to gradually hand over the United Nations' powers in Kosovo to local authorities and a European police mission were outside his jurisdiction.
- Around 1,000 militants active in Jammu and Kashmir: DGP IRNA 21 Jun 2008 -- Director general of the state police (DGP) in Kashmir, Kuldip Khoda, said that around 1,000 militants were active in the state at present and that infiltration attempts were continuing, but the police was fully geared to ensure free and fair elections.
- 2 soldiers, 29 Tamil Tigers killed in Lanka clashes IRNA 21 Jun 2008 -- In an ongoing conflict between the Tamil Tigers and the security forces, at least 29 LTTE cadres and two soldiers were killed in intense battles across the embattled Northern Sri Lanka on Friday.
- Zimbabwean Court Overturns Ban on Opposition Rally VOA 21 Jun 2008 -- A Zimbabwean court has overturned a police ban on a rally by the opposition Movement for Democratic Change ahead of next week's presidential runoff election.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|