08 June 2008 Military News
- SVBIED attacks Coalition Forces in Kirkuk
- Coalition Forces in Iraq Capture al-Qaida Leader in Mosul AFPS 08 Jun 2008 -- Coalition forces captured an alleged al-Qaida in Iraq leader and a man believed to lead a bombing cell under his direction during operations in Mosul today, military officials said.
- US First Lady Visits Afghanistan To Promote Aid Need VOA 08 Jun 2008 -- U.S. First Lady Laura Bush has made a surprise trip to Afghanistan to raise awareness of the country's need for development aid before an international donors conference this week in Paris
Defense Policy / Programs
- DESRON 50 Changes Hands Navy NewsStand 08 Jun 2008 -- Capt. Karl Van Deusen assumed command of Destroyer Squadron 50 during a ceremony held aboard USS Dextrous, June 5.
- KAUFFMAN VISITS ARICA, CHILE Navy NewsStand 08 Jun 2008 -- The Guided Missile Frigate USS Kauffman (FFG 59) visited Arica, Chile from MAY 25-28 in support of Partnership of Americas 08. This was the first visit to Arica by a U.S. Navy ship in over 20 years.
- Turkish bombers strike Kurdish rebel targets in north Iraq RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2008 -- Turkish bomber planes carried out strikes on Saturday night in northern Iraq, targeting bases of Kurdish separatists, the Turkish military announced on its website on Sunday.
- ISRAEL-OPT: Occupation is a "millstone" around Israel's neck, report says IRIN 08 Jun 2008 -- The occupation of the Palestinian territories is exacting a high price from Israel, a local think-tank said.
- SRI LANKA: UN urges greater protection of civilians after bombs kill 24 IRIN 08 Jun 2008 -- The UN has renewed calls for increased protection of unarmed civilians in accordance with international humanitarian law after two attacks on 6 June targeted civilian buses, eight hours apart, leaving 24 dead and more than 80 injured.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|