01 April 2008 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 01 Apr 2008 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- March 31 airpower summary: C-17s provide heavy airlift AFPN 01 Apr 2008
- Stryker Cavalry Explains How Maupin Found Army News 01 Apr 2008 -- The remains of Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin were recovered March 20 northwest of Baghdad by elements the Multi-National Division - Baghdad's 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, which is based out of Vilseck, Germany.
- NMCB 3 Departs for Six Month Deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan Navy NewsStand 01 Apr 2008 -- Seabees from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 3, homeported at Naval Base Ventura County, Port Hueneme, departed for a six month deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan March 29.
- Navy Customs Inspectors Depart for Middle East Navy NewsStand 01 Apr 2008 -- About 400 Sailors mobilized by Navy Expeditionary Logistics Support Group (NAVELSG) deployed from Langley Air Force Base to the Middle East, March 31, as NAVELSG Forward Hotel.
- Making a Difference in Iraq, One Village at a Time Navy NewsStand 01 Apr 2008 -- "With compassion for others, we build, we fight, for peace with freedom" is the long-standing motto for the U.S. Navy Construction Battalions.
- Troops in Iraq Kill Suspected Terrorists, Capture Others, Seize Weapons AFPS 01 Apr 2008 -- Coalition and Iraqi forces killed four suspected terrorists, detained 29 others, and seized or destroyed dozens of weapons in Iraq over the past three days, military officials said.
- France to Send Several Hundred Troops to Afghanistan VOA 01 Apr 2008 -- The day before a key NATO summit in Bucharest, the French government announced Tuesday it would send several hundred troops to reinforce the alliance's operation in Afghanistan
- Secretary-General heads to Bucharest for international meeting on Afghanistan UN News Centre 01 Apr 2008 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will be travelling to the Romanian capital, Bucharest, where, on Thursday, he will be joining other world leaders at an international meeting focusing on peace and development efforts in strife-torn Afghanistan.
- UK renews plea for more 'burden-sharing' in Afghanistan IRNA 01 Apr 2008 -- British Prime Minister Gordon Brown renewed his call Tuesday for NATO allies to provide more assistance to the military campaign in Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Lawmakers Consider Proposals to Curb Rape as Weapon of War VOA 01 Apr 2008 -- A U.S. Senate hearing focused on the use of rape as a weapon in armed conflicts, and what the United States can do to try to crackdown on the practice
- Navy Seeks Supreme Court Review of SONAR Injunction Navy NewsStand 01 Apr 2008 -- The Navy released a statement in response to filing with the Supreme Court on its use of SONAR
- Lengthy, Repetitive Deployments Risk Forces, Mullen Says AFPS 01 Apr 2008 -- The military has to reduce stress on the Army and Marine Corps or risk crossing "an invisible red line" that will place too much strain on the force, Navy Adm. Mike Mullen said during an interview here today.
- Organization Leads Fight Against IEDs Army News 01 Apr 2008 -- If America allows the improvised-explosive device to control its strategic decisions, IED will become the weapon of choice for all of America's enemies, according to the director of the organization charged with its defeat.
- MILCON: Fort Richardson Building for Troop Increase Army News 01 Apr 2008 -- The Alaska District oversees one of the largest military construction programs in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Transcript: Media Availability with U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates and Danish Minister of Defense Soren Gade 01 Apr 2008 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates
- DESRON 26 Completes Multinational Exercise Goalkeeper II Navy NewsStand 01 Apr 2008 -- Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 26 completed Exercise Goalkeeper II, a multilateral exercise held in the Persian Gulf, on April 1.
- U.S. 5th Fleet/Coalition Forces Continue to Build Regional Partnerships Navy NewsStand 01 Apr 2008 -- Bahrain assumed command of the Persian Gulf's primary Task Force April 1, marking the first time coalition forces have been commanded by a Gulf nation.
- Maritime Coalition Leaders Discuss Security Issues Navy NewsStand 01 Apr 2008 -- Senior naval commanders, hailing from Bahrain, France, the United Kingdom, and the United States, met at the Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) headquarters in Bahrain April 1 to review operations and exercises, as well as future opportunities to build the coalition.
- Secretary of the Navy visits Mumbai, New Delhi Navy NewsStand 01 Apr 2008 -- Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV) Donald C. Winter, has wrapped up a tour in India with stops in Mumbai and New Delhi.
- Logistics key to deployed NATO mission AFPN 01 Apr 2008 -- Logistics Airmen from the 404th Air Expeditionary Group have worked day and night to prepare the airfield here for Operation Noble Endeavor.
- Ramstein Airmen participate in Exercise Thracian Spring AFPN 01 Apr 2008 -- Airmen from the 86th Airlift Wing and the 435th Air Base Wing at Ramstein Air Force Base, Germany, as well as master jumpmasters from the 5th Quartermasters at Rhein Ordnance Barracks, Germany, joined forces with Bulgarian military forces to conduct Exercise Thracian Spring here from March 26 to April 6.
- Airmen expand Air Force global reach with KC-10s AFPN 01 Apr 2008 -- Providing 1 million gallons of jet fuel weekly, the KC-10 Extender and the Airmen of the 380th Air Expeditionary Wing who support it give global reach to U.S. and coalition aircraft supporting operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
- Lakenheath Airmen support NATO summit AFPN 01 Apr 2008 -- The 493rd Expeditionary Fighter Squadron's aircraft and Airmen currently are projecting airpower and establishing air superiority from Bulgaria in support of the NATO summit as part of Operation Noble Endeavor in Bucharest, Romania.
- Missile Defense Embodies Balanced Approach, General Says AFPS 01 Apr 2008 -- In a 21st-century security environment with diverse global threats, the United States must underpin its offensive capabilities with protective systems such as missile defense, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said yesterday.
- Guard Helping Save Crops from Louisiana Flood Waters Army News 01 Apr 2008 -- Soldiers of the Louisiana National Guard are helping farmers fight to save millions of dollars worth of crops from the flood waters of the Mississippi River in Pointe Coupee Parish, La.
- Afghanistan, Expansion to Top NATO Summit in Bucharest VOA 01 Apr 2008 -- Leaders from the 26-member North Atlantic Treaty Organization hold their summit this week in Bucharest, Romania
- Bush Supports Ukrainian, Georgian Aspirations for NATO Membership AFPS 01 Apr 2008 -- President Bush strongly endorsed Ukraine's and Georgia's aspirations to join NATO during a news conference with reporters in the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv today.
- NATO Looks to Expand Membership at Bucharest Summit AFPS 01 Apr 2008 -- For only the sixth time in its 59-year history, NATO is poised to expand its membership this week.
- Ukraine: Bush Backs Kyiv's NATO Bid Ahead Of Summit RFE/RL 01 Apr 2008 -- As NATO prepares to debate putting Ukraine and Georgia on track for membership, U.S. President George W. Bush has reiterated his support for Ukraine's efforts to join the alliance.
- Bush signals support for Ukraine, Georgia NATO bids RIA Novosti 01 Apr 2008 -- The United States supports Ukraine and Georgia's bids to join NATO and will not be influenced by Russia's opposition to the plans, the American president said on Tuesday.
- Bush Praises Ukraine Democracy, Calls for Path to NATO Membership VOA 01 Apr 2008 -- U.S. President George W. Bush says he strongly supports a bid by Ukraine and Georgia to start the process of NATO membership
- Central Asia: Odd Couple Crashes NATO Summit RFE/RL 01 Apr 2008 -- NATO's Bucharest summit opens this week with two unlikely guests: the presidents of Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.
- Russia warns Ukraine against NATO membership RIA Novosti 01 Apr 2008 -- Ukraine's admission to NATO will have a negative impact on European security and on Kiev's relations with Moscow, a Russian deputy foreign minister said on Tuesday.
- Ukraine president pledges referendum on NATO membership RIA Novosti 01 Apr 2008 -- Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko reiterated on Tuesday his promise to hold a referendum on the country's entry to NATO, but pledged his support for membership in the alliance.
- Putin, Bush may sign missile shield document on April 6 RIA Novosti 01 Apr 2008 -- A joint document to be signed by the Russian and U.S. presidents on April 6 will include issues related to missile defense, a Kremlin source said on Tuesday.
- Russia capable of defeating U.S. missile shield in Europe - Bush RIA Novosti 01 Apr 2008 -- The U.S. president said the missile shield planned for Central Europe would be no threat to Moscow, as Russia has sufficient firepower to overcome the proposed defense system.
- U.S. uncertain missile shield deal can be reached in S.Russia RIA Novosti 01 Apr 2008 -- The U.S. and Russia may not resolve their European missile shield dispute at an upcoming meeting in Sochi between the presidents, but will continue working on the issue, a White House official said.
- Press Gaggle by Dana Perino The White House 01 Apr 2008
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 01 Apr 2008
- DoD News: Contracts for April 01, 2008
- Northrop Grumman Begins Assembling First F-35 Production Jet Northrop Grumman 01 Apr 2008 -- Milestone Provides Momentum for Transition From Development to Production Phases
- BAE SYSTEMS WINS ADDITIONAL M777 HOWITZER ORDER FROM THE U.S. ARMED FORCES BAE Systems 01 Apr 2008 -- BAE Systems has received a new order from the U.S. Department of Defense for 87 additional M777A2 155mm towed howitzers, valued at $176 million.
- BAE SYSTEMS RECEIVES $7 MILLION CONTRACT TO UPGRADE 51 BRADLEY TRAINING SYSTEMS BAE Systems 01 Apr 2008 -- BAE Systems has been awarded a US $7 million U.S. Army contract to upgrade 34 previously fielded Bradley Advanced Training Systems (BATS) along with the 17 systems currently being manufactured.
- Hope During Bolivian Floods: BLACK HAWK Helicopters Lent Recent Support and Are Familiar Sight in Latin America Sikorsky 01 Apr 2008 -- BLACK HAWK helicopters have been instrumental in rescue operations during Bolivia's recent floods, continuing more than two decades of service in Latin America
- Thales to overhaul radar sensors on Canadian Naval vessels Thales 01 Apr 2008 -- Recently, Public Works and Government Services Canada signed a €42 million contract with Thales Canada, Naval Services Division for Repair and Overhaul services for all the Thales radar systems currently in-service in the Canadian Navy's IROQUOIS Class destroyers and HALIFAX Class frigates. The duration of the contract is six years with two options of one year each.
- Thales UK wins support contracts for Royal Navy submarines Thales 01 Apr 2008 -- Thales UK has been awarded contracts initially worth £35m from the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) to provide long-term in-service support for the Royal Navy’s (RN’S) Trafalgar-, Vanguard- and Astute-class periscope systems. The contracts, which include the Contracting For Availability (CFA) programme, build on the existing support infrastructure in which the UK MoD has invested over many years.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 01 Apr 2008
- CHAD: Foreboding with first rebel attack since February IRIN 01 Apr 2008 -- An attack on government troops early on 1 April at the town of Ade in eastern Chad on the border with Sudan is the first serious attempt by the rebels to challenge government forces since February when the rebels got as far as the capital N'djamena before withdrawing.
- NEPAL: Concern over rising insecurity ahead of 10 April elections IRIN 01 Apr 2008 -- Rising insecurity in Nepal ahead of Constituent Assembly (CA) elections slated for 10 April is causing concern among UN agencies and the national election body.
- UN-assisted refugee returns to Burundi hits 300,000 mark UN News Centre 01 Apr 2008 -- The number of Burundians that have returned to their homeland from neighbouring Tanzania with the help of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) reached the 300,000 mark last month, the agency reported today.
- Security Council resolution still in force in Kosovo - Secretary-General UN News Centre 01 Apr 2008 -- The United Nations mission in Kosovo continues to operate on the assumption that the 1999 Security Council resolution that gave it administrative authority following ethnic bloodshed is still in force, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon says in his first report on the issue since Kosovo declared independence from Serbia on 17 February.
- Rebels crossing Chadian-Sudanese border of 'deep concern' to Secretary-General UN News Centre 01 Apr 2008 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today urged Chad and Sudan to make every effort to ensure that rebel groups do not use their territory as a staging ground for incursions across their mutual border.
- Colombia OKs French Mission to Meet With Hostages Held by Leftist Rebels VOA 01 Apr 2008 -- Colombian President Alvaro Uribe says he has agreed to a French request to let an international mission try to meet with hostages held by leftist rebels, including French-Colombian politician Ingrid Betancourt.
- Twelve dead as Turkish troops and Kurd militants clash RIA Novosti 01 Apr 2008 -- Nine Kurdish militants and three Turkish soldiers have been killed during clashes in Turkey's south-east, the Turkish General Staff said on Tuesday.
- Israel Removes West Bank Checkpoint Following Rice Visit VOA 01 Apr 2008 -- Under U.S. pressure, Israel has begun easing travel restrictions for Palestinians in the West Bank
- Ugandan Rebels Postpone Signing of Peace Deal VOA 01 Apr 2008 -- A Ugandan official says the rebel Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) has asked to postpone the signing of a peace agreement with the government due to ill-health of rebel leader Joseph Kony.
- US Says Zimbabweans Have Voted for Change VOA 01 Apr 2008 -- The United States said Tuesday it is apparent that Zimbabweans have voted for change after 28 years of rule by Robert Mugabe, and it is time for the country's electoral commission to confirm that
- Syria says offer made to trade Lebanon polls for UN investigation RIA Novosti 01 Apr 2008 -- Syria has said it has rejected an offer to freeze a UN investigation into the assassination of ex-Lebanese premier Rafik Hariri in exchange for 'allowing' presidential polls in Lebanon.
- Zimbabwe Opposition Retains Slight Lead in Parliamentary Elections VOA 01 Apr 2008 -- Zimbabwe's main opposition party has retained a slight lead over the ruling ZANU-PF party in the official count from parliamentary elections Saturday.
- US: Delay in Zimbabwe Election Results Troubling VOA 01 Apr 2008 -- The United States says the delay in releasing results from Zimbabwe's elections is troubling.
- China Warns of Tibetan Suicide Attacks VOA 01 Apr 2008 -- Chinese authorities say they believe Tibetan forces agitating for independence are planning to launch violent suicide attacks
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|