12 January 2008 Military News
- MNF-W Marine dies of non-combat related cause (Anbar)
- Jan. 11 airpower summary: F-15E Strike Eagles hit enemy positions AFPN 12 Jan 2008
- Tips lead to destruction of booby-trapped houses during Operation Phantom Phoenix (Himbus) MNF-I 12 Jan 2008 -- Multi-National Division - North Soldiers destroyed three booby-trapped houses in Himbus Jan. 11 during Operation Raider Harvest, which is part of the countrywide Operation Phantom Phoenix.
- Operation Raider Harvest holding phase begins (Diyala) MNF-I 12 Jan 2008 -- Raider Harvest, an operation designed to clear al-Qaeda in Iraq from the northern Diyala River Valley, and keep them out, will soon switch into the holding phase as part of Operation Phantom Phoenix.
- Iraqi Soldiers find weapons cache in Saydiyah during Operation Phantom Phoenix MNF-I 12 Jan 2008 -- The Iraqi Army, working with Multi-National Division - Baghdad Soldiers, found a weapons cache during a combat patrol in southwest Baghdad Jan.8 as part of Operation Phantom Phoenix.
- Ban Ki-moon lauds Japan for resuming support to international operations in Afghanistan UN News Centre 12 Jan 2008 -- Recognizing the obstacles that Afghanistan and the international community faced last year, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has voiced his appreciation to the Government of Japan for resuming its activities to support efforts to rebuild and bolster security in the strife-torn nation.
Defense Policy / Programs
- GSA Detailing Process Improves IA Assignments Navy NewsStand 12 Jan 2008 -- The Global War on Terror Support Assignment (GSA) detailing system is offering a better balance between personnel requirements and the global war on terrorism (GWOT) and improving stability for Sailors and their families.
- USS Carl Vinson's Flight Deck Catapults Come Back to Life Navy NewsStand 12 Jan 2008 -- USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) accomplished another milestone in its refueling complex overhaul (RCOH) after cylinders were reinstalled into the ship's flight deck catapults Dec. 19, at Northrop Grumman Newport News shipyard in Newport News.
- Polish air force commander visits AETC AFPN 12 Jan 2008 -- The commander of the Polish air force visited several Air Education and Training Command locations during a visit to the United States Jan. 6-8.
- Ukraine wants talks on Russian naval base withdrawal - FM RIA Novosti 12 Jan 2008 -- Ukraine's foreign minister said on Saturday that the government wants to start talks to prepare the withdrawal of a Russia naval base from Ukraine.
- Press Gaggle by Dana Perino The White House 12 Jan 2008
- Bush in Bahrain as Part of Persian Gulf Tour VOA 12 Jan 2008 -- U.S. President George Bush is in Bahrain - his second stop on a Persian Gulf tour aimed at generating support for his Israeli-Palestinian peace plan, and efforts to contain Iran's growing influence in the region.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|