05 January 2008 Military News
- Soldiers allegedly killed by an Iraqi Army Soldier (Ninewah)
- MND-North Soldiers attacked by IED (Diyala)
- Jan. 4 airpower summary: A-10s support ground forces AFPN 05 Jan 2008
- German army "horrified" over reckless driving of soldiers in Afghanistan IRNA 05 Jan 2008 -- The German army is reportedly "horrified" over the reckless driving of its soldiers in Afghanistan, causing numerous bad accidents in the war-stricken country, the weekly Der Spiegel news magazine cited Saturday an internal document of the German Defense Ministry.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Fleet Commander Focuses on Hawaii's Strategic Importance Navy NewsStand 05 Jan 2008 -- Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet, Adm. Robert F. Willard spoke about the strength of the Navy in the Pacific to Hawaii business leaders, state representatives, and other members of the Oahu community during the 7th annual Hawaii-U.S. Military Partnership Conference held in Waikiki Jan. 3.
- Pacific Fleet Submarines Selected for Battle "E" Awards Navy NewsStand 05 Jan 2008 -- Commander, Submarine Force U.S. Pacific Fleet, Rear Adm. Joe Walsh announced the winners of the 2007 Battle Efficiency Awards (Battle "E") for the Pacific Fleet Submarine Force, Jan. 1.
- U.S. missile shield may not be built in Poland - Sikorski RIA Novosti 05 Jan 2008 -- Poland's foreign minister has said he can see no threat coming from Iran and does not rule out that a U.S. missile-defense base in his country may not be built after all.
- Warsaw still undecided on US missile shield: official IRNA 05 Jan 2008 -- Poland is still undecided on given its green light for the deployment of the US missile shield, Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski told Saturday's edition of the Polish Gazeta Wyborcza newspaper.
- Russian, Libyan navies resume contacts RIA Novosti 05 Jan 2008 -- The Russian and Libyan navies have resumed contacts after a long hiatus when a Russian Navy vessel made a port call at Tripoli, an aide to the Russian Navy commander said on Saturday.
- Moscow warns against unilateral independence for Kosovo RIA Novosti 05 Jan 2008 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry has reiterated its warning against the declaration of unilateral independence for Kosovo as the UN Security Council is preparing to discuss the issue.
- Hamas Chief Calls for Talks With Rival Fatah VOA 05 Jan 2008 -- The exiled political leader of the Palestinian militant group Hamas is calling for talks with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas of the rival Fatah party.
- Bush to Urge US Mideast Allies to Israeli-Palestinian Peace Talks VOA 05 Jan 2008 -- President Bush travels to the Middle East in the coming week in hopes of urging U.S. allies in the region to support Israeli-Palestinian peace talks
- Israeli Army Ends Operation in Nablus VOA 05 Jan 2008 -- Israel's army has left the West Bank town of Nablus ending an intense, three-day operation aimed at finding Palestinian militants and their weapons.
- Saakashvili wins Georgian election with 52.5% - exit polls RIA Novosti 05 Jan 2008 -- Mikheil Saakashvili has won Georgia's presidential election in the first round with 52.5% of the vote, according to early exit polls organized by Georgian TV companies.
- Georgians Vote In Early Presidential Elections RFE/RL 05 Jan 2008 -- Georgians voted today in early presidential elections, in what is seen as a democracy test for the former Soviet republic. Incumbent President Mikheil Saakashvili is opposed by six challengers
- Bhutto's assassination an attempt to destabilize Pakistan IRNA 05 Jan 2008 -- Visiting Iran's Foreign Minister Manoucher Mottaki while offering condolences over death of former Prime Minister Pakistan Peoples Party Chairperson Benazir Bhutto, said her death was ''an attempt to destabilize Pakistan and derail ongoing democratic process.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|