01 December 2007 Military News
- Roadside bomb targets MND-B patrol (Baghdad)
- Nov. 30 airpower summary: B1-Bs provide overwatch AFPN 01 Dec 2007
Defense Policy / Programs
- Bush Keeps Up Pressure on Congress to Approve War Spending Bill VOA 01 Dec 2007 -- President Bush is urging Congress to pass several pieces of legislation when the lawmakers return from a long holiday recess next week
- MOBSECRON 6 Change of Command Navy NewsStand 01 Dec 2007 -- Cmdr. Jon Rodgers relieved Commanding Officer Cmdr. Sean Moriarty of Mobile Security Squadron 6 (MOBSECRON 6) during a change of command ceremony Nov. 16.
- USPACOM Det. 111 Hosts Change of Command Navy NewsStand 01 Dec 2007 -- Capt. James Stahlman shared many heartfelt memories as he departed U.S. Pacific Command (PACOM) Det. 111 and Capt. Peter L. Gurney, Jr. assumed command on Nov. 17 at the Navy Operational Support Center (NOSC) Tulsa.
- Essex Sailors and Marines Build Friendships at Cambodian Schools Navy NewsStand 01 Dec 2007 -- Nearly 300 Sailors and Marines assigned to the amphibious assault ship USS Essex (LHD 2) and the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit lent a helping hand to local schools Nov. 27 - 29 during a scheduled port visit to Sihanoukville.
- Russia, U.S. continue Torgau-2007 exercise RIA Novosti 01 Dec 2007 -- The second phase of a Russian-U.S. military exercise has started in Germany, to last until December 15, a Russian Ground Forces spokesman said Saturday.
- Turkish army starts operation in northern Iraq RIA Novosti 01 Dec 2007 -- The Turkish army started a military operation against about 60 rebels in northern Iraq Saturday, the Turkish General Staff reported.
- Turkey's Army Fires on Kurdish Rebels in Northern Iraq VOA 01 Dec 2007 -- Turkey's army says it has inflicted heavy losses on a group of between 50 to 60 Kurdish rebels in a military operation in northern Iraq.
- Palestinian Officials: 6 Palestinians, Including Militants, Killed in Gaza VOA 01 Dec 2007 -- Palestinian medical officials say the Israeli army has killed six Palestinians, including five militants, in two incidents in the Gaza Strip
- Abbas Says Annapolis Achieved Goal VOA 01 Dec 2007 -- On a visit to Egypt Saturday, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said the recent Annapolis peace conference achieved its goal of re-launching negotiations for a Middle East peace agreement
- One soldier, 13 LTTE rebels killed in northern Sri Lanka IRNA 01 Dec 2007 -- At least 13 Tamil Tigers and a soldier have been killed in a series of clashes in Sri Lanka's embattled northern region, officials in Colombo said Saturday.
- Expert Says Kosovo Has 'Clear Idea Where It Wants To Go' RFE/RL 01 Dec 2007 -- No breakthroughs regarding Kosovo's future status have been made as the "troika" of international mediators prepare to report to the UN secretary-general.
- Chad's President Fires His Defense Minister VOA 01 Dec 2007 -- Chad's President Idriss Deby has fired his defense minister following a week of intense fighting between government troops and rebels in eastern Chad.
- Former Pakistani PM Bhutto Launches Election Campaign; Still Considering Boycott VOA 01 Dec 2007 -- Former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto launched her election campaign Saturday, traveling to Pakistan's northern tribal area to appeal to voters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|