16 September 2007 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Press Conference: Rear Adm. Mark I. Fox, BGen. Joseph Anderson, September 16, 2007 MNF-I 16 Sep 2007
- Sept. 15 airpower summary: C-130s keep troops supplied AFPN 16 Sep 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported coalition ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan during operations Sept. 15, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Clearing continues: Dragons & Dragoons begin Operation Dragon Talon II in Rashid MNF-I 16 Sep 2007 -- Multi-National Division-Baghdad Soldiers and Iraqi Army troops captured four suspected terrorists in the first day of Operation Dragon Talon II.
- Forces Capture Suspected Sattar Assassination Planner AFPS 16 Sep 2007 -- Coalition forces yesterday captured a man suspected of being behind the Sept. 13 assassination of Sheik Abdul-Sattar Abu Risha, an influential Sunni leader who helped fight Al Qaeda in Iraq's Anbar Forces, officials in Baghdad announced during a briefing today.
- Coalition Forces Capture Key Extremist Leaders in Iraq, Kill Three Insurgents AFPS 16 Sep 2007 -- Iraqi and coalition forces detained six suspects, including several key extremist militant leaders, killed three insurgents and seized a weapons cache in Iraq over the past three days, military officials said.
- Forces Kill Insurgents, Capture Suspects in Afghanistan AFPS 16 Sep 2007 -- Afghan forces, working in concert with coalition troops, killed more than a dozen insurgents, captured 11 suspects and seized a weapons cache in Afghanistan over the past two days, military officials said.
- AFGHANISTAN: Effects of suicide attacks extend far beyond the grave IRIN 16 Sep 2007 -- Wahidullah, 35, died in June after a suicide bomber blew himself up in a car packed with explosives near his auto-mechanic shop on Puli Charkhi Road in the eastern outskirts of the Afghan capital, Kabul.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Latest Army Vessel Honors Black American Hero Army News 16 Sep 2007 -- The logistics support vessel Major General Robert Smalls (LSV-8) - the first Army vessel named for an African American - was inducted into the Army's watercraft fleet yesterday during a commissioning ceremony at Baltimore's historic Inner Harbor.
- Russia, India to start active phase of joint antiterrorism drill RIA Novosti 16 Sep 2007 -- Russian and Indian airborne troops will begin on Sunday the active phase of INDRA-2007 joint counter-terrorism exercises in northwest Russia's Pskov Region.
- Israel Lowers Expectations Before Rice Visit VOA 16 Sep 2007 -- Disagreements have emerged between Israel and the Palestinians before a visit by the American Secretary of State to the region later this week
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|