16 June 2007 Military News
- June 15 airpower summary: Strike Eagles strike enemy positions AFPN 16 Jun 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported coalition ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan in the following operations June 15, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Bombers Attack Sunni Mosque In Al-Basrah RFE/RL 16 Jun 2007 -- Bombers attacked a Sunni mosque in the southern Iraqi city of Al-Basrah today
- US Launches New Offensives in Baghdad VOA 16 Jun 2007 -- The American commander in Iraq says his forces have launched new offensives against al-Qaida insurgents in and around Baghdad during the last 24 hours, making use of the last of the additional combat forces President Bush ordered to Iraq in January
- Suicide Bombers Kills Four In Kabul, One In Mazar-i-Sharif RFE/RL 16 Jun 2007 -- A suicide car bombing killed at least four Afghan civilians and wounded at least four others in a busy residential area of Kabul
- Suicide Bombers Kill 5 in Afghanistan VOA 16 Jun 2007 -- Afghan officials say a suicide bomber has struck near a convoy of foreign forces in northern Afghanistan, killing one civilian and injuring at least six others.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Kitty Hawk Sailors Pitch in During Visit Navy NewsStand 16 Jun 2007 -- The floating city known as USS Kitty Hawk (CV 63) arrived in Guam on June 8, bringing more than 4,800 Sailors ready to enjoy the sights, sounds and services on the island.
- Quartet concerned at welfare of Palestinians affected by crisis - statement UN News Centre 16 Jun 2007 -- Members of the diplomatic Quartet - the United Nations, European Union, Russian Federation and United States - today voiced "deep concern over the welfare and security of all Palestinians, especially those in Gaza, whose lives have been most seriously affected by the ongoing crisis."
- Fatah Gunmen Seize Hamas-Controlled Institutions in West Bank VOA 16 Jun 2007 -- Gunmen from the Palestinian Fatah faction have seized institutions of the rival Islamic militant group Hamas in the West Bank
- UN and African Union agree to strengthen security cooperation UN News Centre 16 Jun 2007 -- The United Nations Security Council and its African Union (AU) counterpart today agreed to bolster their collaboration in addressing conflict and building peace.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|