10 April 2007 Military News
- DoD Identifies Navy Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Roadside bomb targets MND-B patrol
- MNF-W Forces attacked
- April 10 airpower: Airmen keep watch in the fight AFPN 10 Apr 2007 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials released the airpower summary for April 10
- Airmen, Soldiers mentor Afghan medical instructors AFPN 10 Apr 2007 -- A team of five highly-skilled Air Force and Army medics mentor Afghan National Army instructors at the Combat Medic School in Kabul.
- Afghans, Coalition Have Forces Needed to Deal With Taliban AFPS 10 Apr 2007 -- Taliban capabilities have gotten more robust, but so have the capabilities of the Afghan National Army and police to deal with them, the commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan said today.
- PAKISTAN: UN refugee agency faces deficit in Afghan repatriation funds IRIN 10 Apr 2007 -- After recently announcing that it was tripling its cash assistance for repatriating Afghans, the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) said it may need to raise funds to live up to its promise in the last five days of the offer.
- Australia Sending Hundreds More Troops To Afghanistan RFE/RL 10 Apr 2007 -- Australia is sending hundreds more troops to southern Afghanistan, including some 300 special forces commandos, to help combat a resurgence of violence by Taliban militants.
- Afghanistan: Ban Ki-moon urges stepped-up efforts to boost stability amid rising attacks UN News Centre 10 Apr 2007 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called for stepped-up efforts to promote stability in Afghanistan after a series of attacks there this month resulted in the killing of six de-miners, six Canadian troops serving with the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), nine civilians and a local journalist.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Bush Calls Democratic Leadership in Congress 'Irresponsible' VOA 10 Apr 2007 -- President Bush says he will veto emergency spending for wars in Afghanistan and Iraq because opposition legislators have attached timetables for a troop withdrawal from Iraq
- Bush Urges Congress to Pass Emergency War-Spending Bill AFPS 10 Apr 2007 -- President Bush today reiterated his call for Congress to pass an Iraq war supplemental appropriations bill and called for a meeting with congressional leaders from both parties to move the process ahead.
- Casey Takes Over Army Helm AFPS 10 Apr 2007 -- After nearly four decades of military service, Gen. Peter Schoomaker today handed the reins of Army chief of staff to Gen. George W. Casey Jr., who most recently served as commander of Multinational Forces Iraq.
- Gen. George W. Casey Jr. Becomes Army Chief of Staff Army News 10 Apr 2007 -- Gen. George W. Casey Jr. today became the 36th chief of staff of the Army, assuming the position from Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker.
- New US Army Chief of Staff Predicts Long Battle Against Terror VOA 10 Apr 2007 -- The former coalition commander in Iraq, General George Casey, took over as U.S. Army Chief of Staff at a ceremony rich in tradition Tuesday, during which he predicted that the fight against terrorism will continue for at least a decade
- DoD Announces Recruiting and Retention Numbers for March 10 Apr 2007 -- The Department of Defense announced today its recruiting and retention statistics for the active and reserve components for the month of March.
- Huachuca Center to be Home of Human-Intel Training AFPS 10 Apr 2007 -- The Department of Defense is establishing a home for human intelligence at Fort Huachuca, Ariz.
- Grissom doctors moonlight for NASA AFPN 10 Apr 2007 -- Two Reserve doctors from Grissom Air Reserve Base have front row seats for space shuttle takeoffs and landings to help astronauts in case of emergencies.
- Boomers help keep the fighters flying AFPN 10 Apr 2007 -- The KC-135 Stratotanker helps the Air Force accomplish its mission by providing gas to aircraft during flight. To accomplish its mission, this fuel station in the sky uses an operator with a very unique job who goes by the name of "Boom."
- Air mobility keeps fast pace with war ops surges AFPN 10 Apr 2007 -- Squadrons across the 379th Air Expeditionary Wing have increased operations to enhance theater-wide support for the current surge of troops throughout Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Exercise Strengthens Maritime Partnerships With North Africa AFPS 10 Apr 2007 -- Phoenix Express, a two-weeklong exercise designed to strengthen U.S. and European maritime partnerships with North Africa, began today in the Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic Ocean.
- Top Army Civilian Provides Update on Army Medical Actions Army News Release 10 Apr 2007 -- Today, April 10, the Army's top civilian leader, Acting Secretary of the Army Pete Geren, provided a written update to members of Congress and the Department of Defense on the status of corrective actions taken at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and throughout the Army medical system.
- Army Improves Combat Vehicle Crewman Coverall Army News 10 Apr 2007 -- The Army has developed an improved one-piece uniform for mounted Soldiers that provides better fit and enhances fire resistance and durability.
- NMCB 4 Seabees Arrive in Guam Navy NewsStand 10 Apr 2007 -- Naval Mobile Construction Battalions (NMCB) 4 and 74 completed turnover of the Seabees' Camp Covington at Naval Base Guam on April 10, during a change of charge ceremony at the camp's headquarters.
- Phoenix Express Strengthens Maritime Partnerships with North Africa Navy NewsStand 10 Apr 2007 -- Phoenix Express 2007, a two-week exercise designed to strengthen U.S. and European maritime partnerships with North Africa, began April 10.
- U.S., Cape Verde Practice VBSS Drills Navy NewsStand 10 Apr 2007 -- As part of a Naval Forces Europe/6th Fleet strategic priority to improve regional maritime security and safety, the USCGC Legare (WMEC 912) conducted visit, board, search and seizure drills with the Cape Verdian ship Tainha (P 262) on April 4.
- USS Rodney M. Davis Transits the Panama Canal Navy NewsStand 10 Apr 2007 -- USS Rodney M. Davis (FFG 60) completed her transit of the Panama Canal on March 25 from the Caribbean Sea to the Pacific Ocean.
- Ronald Reagan Strike Group Makes Port Visit to Pearl Harbor Navy NewsStand 10 Apr 2007 -- The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group (RRCSG), pulled into Naval Station Pearl Harbor on April 9 for a scheduled port visit on the return leg of its 2007 deployment in support of operations in the Western Pacific.
- U.S. diplomat denies talks on missile shield in S. Caucasus RIA Novosti 10 Apr 2007 -- A U.S. diplomat has denied rumors that the United States has been conducting talks on the possible placement of a U.S. missile shield in the South Caucasus, the Novosti-Azerbaijan news agency said Tuesday.
- Bush signs law on Ukrainian, Georgian accession to NATO RIA Novosti 10 Apr 2007 -- U.S. President George Bush has signed into law legislation supporting a Ukrainian and Georgian bid to join NATO, the White House press service said Tuesday.
- U.S. Endorses Future NATO Expansion Washington File 10 Apr 2007 -- President Bush has signed a new law extending U.S. military assistance to aspiring NATO members Albania, Croatia, Georgia, Macedonia and Ukraine.
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 10 Apr 2007
- Press Briefing by Dana Perino The White House 10 Apr 2007
- DoD News: Contracts for April 10, 2007
- BAE SYSTEMS AWARDED $149 MILLION CONTRACT FOR PRESERVATION WORK ON SUBMARINES BAE Systems 10 Apr 2007 -- BAE Systems has been awarded an indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity (IDIQ) contract by the Mid-Atlantic Regional Maintenance Center (MARMC) for blast, paint and preservation work on tanks of nuclear submarines home ported in Norfolk, Virginia
- General Dynamics Awarded $149 Million for Hydra-70 Rocket Production General Dynamics 10 Apr 2007 -- General Dynamics Armament and Technical Products, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), has received two orders totaling $149 million for the production of 2.75-inch Hydra-70 rockets
- LOCKHEED MARTIN DEMONSTRATES P44 MISSILE PERFORMANCE, AGILITY IN NEW PHASE OF TESTING Lockheed Martin 10 Apr 2007 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] successfully conducted the second flight test of its P44 long-range strike missiles Friday at White Sands Missile Range, NM.
- Raytheon Awarded $48 Million for Cooperative Engagement Capability Program Raytheon 10 Apr 2007 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has been awarded $48 million in follow-on contracts by the U.S. Navy for work on the Cooperative Engagement Capability (CEC) program
- Creation of the New Space Alliance between Thales and Finmeccanica Thales 10 Apr 2007 -- On April 4th 2007, the European Commission approved the transfer to Thales of Alcatel-Lucent's shareholdings in the two space sector joint venture companies Alcatel Alenia Space* (67% Thales - 33% Finmeccanica) and Telespazio (67% Finmeccanica - 33% Thales).
- Alcatel-Lucent cleared by the EU to transfer its space assets to Thales Thales 10 Apr 2007 -- Alcatel Alenia Space is the former name of Thales Alenia Space, before Thales becomes the majority shareholder.
- Raytheon Offers a Spectrum of Innovative Technologies to Solve Tactical Space Needs Raytheon 10 Apr 2007 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) today announced a new emphasis on providing a spectrum of innovative technologies to address demands in the emerging Responsive Space "launch-on-demand" market.
- Thales selected for the royal Norwegian navy MCMVs sonar upgrade programme Thales 10 Apr 2007 -- The contract, won after strong international competition, covers the delivery of six TSM2022 MK3 N hull mounted sonars (HMS) and associated 15-year life cycle support, maintenance and extensive training package.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 10 Apr 2007
- AFRICA: UN's top humanitarian official calls for urgent aid for three states IRIN 10 Apr 2007 -- At the current rate, if the situation in Sudan's Darfur region continues, over half the population in the region could be displaced within the next 18 months, John Holmes, the Under-Secretary-General for the United Nation's Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has warned.
- UN to consider situation in Georgia's separatist Abkhazia RIA Novosti 10 Apr 2007 -- The UN Security Council will consider the situation in the Georgian breakaway republic of Abkhazia Tuesday, despite the separatist region's representative being refused a visa, a Russian diplomat said.
- Chad Acknowledges Troops Crossed Into Sudan, Clashed With Sudanese Forces VOA 10 Apr 2007 -- Chad's government has acknowledged that its forces crossed into Sudanese territory Monday and clashed with Sudanese troops.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|