05 January 2007 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 03 Jan 2007 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Coalition Forces attacked in Fallujah
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing with Maj. Gen. Simon Mayall from the Pentagon 05 Jan 2007 -- Presenter: Deputy Commander, Multinational Corps-Iraq Maj. Gen. Simon Mayall of the United Kingdom
- CENTAF releases airpower summary for Jan. 5 AFPN 05 Jan 2007 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the airpower summary for Jan. 5.
- Iraqi Forces Rescue Hostages, Detain Suspects, Capture Weapons AFPS 05 Jan 2007 -- Iraqi soldiers freed two hostages, detained 10 suspects, and seized a weapons cache in several recent incidents throughout Iraq, coalition officials said.
- Combined Task Force 150 Maintains Presence Off East Coast of Africa Navy NewsStand 05 Jan 2007 -- Coalition ships from the British-led Combined Task Force (CTF) 150 continue to maintain a presence off the east coast of Africa in response to the recent events in Somalia.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Defense Secretary Gates Announces Recommendations to the President on Key Leadership Positions 05 Jan 2007
- Bush to Replace US Commanders in Iraq and Middle East VOA 05 Jan 2007 -- President Bush is replacing two of his top military commanders in the Middle East, as he finalizes a new strategy for Iraq
- Bush Reported Preparing Personnel Shake-Up RFE/RL 05 Jan 2007 -- U.S. President George W. Bush is reported planning a series of changes of key U.S. military and political leaders as part of a new strategy for Iraq.
- Bush to Name New General in Charge of Iraq VOA 05 Jan 2007 -- President Bush is planning to name new U.S. military commanders for Iraq and the Middle East, as he prepares to announce his new Iraq strategy next week.
- Gates Makes Recommendations for Filling Key Military Roles AFPS 05 Jan 2007 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates today announced his recommendations to President Bush for nominations to fill key military leadership and command positions.
- New Governance Will Improve Military Health Care System, Official Says AFPS 05 Jan 2007 -- The new governance plan for the military health care system, which is in its very early stages, will improve the care given to troops and their families in today's joint environment, the Defense Department's top health official said today.
- National Guard Rescues People, Cattle After Severe Storms AFPS 05 Jan 2007 -- National Guard troops in eight states rescued people and hauled hay to livestock following a severe end-of-year winter storm that stretched from America's northern to southern borders. At least 13 people in five states died in the storm.
- Analysis: Debating Defense cfr.org 05 Jan 2007 -- The last thing any institution wants to do just before making its yearly pitch for more resources is to come begging for a huge special allotment to cover the current budget year
- Russia for equality in Euro missile defense - AF CinC RIA Novosti 05 Jan 2007 -- Equal participation should be the basic principle of international cooperation in the missile defense sphere, the commander-in-chief of the Russian Air Force said Friday.
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 05 Jan 2007
- Press Briefing by Tony Snow The White House 05 Jan 2007
- DoD News: Contracts for January 05, 2007
- Boeing Provides ScanEagle UAV to Australian Army Boeing 05 Jan 2007 -- Boeing Australia Limited announced it has been awarded a contract to provide reconnaissance and surveillance services to the Australian Army using the ScanEagle autonomous unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).
- General Dynamics Delivers Littoral Combat Ship Open Data Model to Navy for inclusion in SHARE Repository General Dynamics 05 Jan 2007 -- General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), delivered the Littoral Combat Ship Open Data Model to the U.S. Navy for inclusion in the Software Hardware Asset Reuse Enterprise (SHARE) repository with unrestricted rights for re-use by any other Navy program.
- BAE SYSTEMS RADAR TO BOOST SECURITY OF UK AIRSPACE BAE Systems 05 Jan 2007 -- The security of UK airspace, in support of Homeland Defence, is to be boosted by additional air defence radar capabilities supplied by BAE Systems.
- Northrop Grumman Receives Contract for Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Propulsion System Rocket Engine Life Extension Program Northrop Grumman 05 Jan 2007 -- The U.S. Air Force has awarded Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) a contract for 22 months to continue the full-rate production phase of the intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) Propulsion System Rocket Engine (PSRE) Life Extension Program (LEP).
- DCN wins five-year €287m contract to support CVN Charles de Gaulle DCN 05 Jan 2007 -- On 19 December 2006, DCN signed a contract worth €287 million with the French Navy's Fleet Support Service (SSF) to provide through-life support services for the Charles de Gaulle nuclear-powered aircraft carrier based at Toulon on the Mediterranean.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 05 Jan 2007
- PRESS CONFERENCE BY ASSISTANT SECRETARY-GENERAL FOR PEACEKEEPING OPERATIONS ON ALLEGATIONS OF SEXUAL EXPLOITATION AND ABUSE BY PEACEKEEPERS United Nations 05 Jan 2007
- US Diplomat Calls for Stabilizing Forces in Somalia VOA 05 Jan 2007 -- U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Jendayi Frazer Friday warned that a stabilization force should be sent into Somalia to prevent further chaos, and announced more funding from the United States to help Somalia get back on its feet after recent fighting there
- Disbanded Militant Youth Group in Somalia Support Al-Qaida Message VOA 05 Jan 2007 -- In Somalia, an alleged message from Osama bin Laden's deputy urging Somalis to launch an Iraq-style guerrilla war against Ethiopian forces there is being taken seriously by a now mostly-disbanded group of militant Somali youths known as the Shaabab
- Somalian President Calls for African Peacekeeping Forces VOA 05 Jan 2007 -- Somalia's interim President Abdullahi Yusuf has called for the immediate deployment of African peacekeepers to his war-torn nation.
- NEPAL: UN arms monitors to begin work next week IRIN 05 Jan 2007 -- The first batch of United Nations arms monitors are to begin their work in the Nepalese capital, Kathmandu, and the southwestern border city of Nepalganj, on Monday, Ian Martin, personal representative of the UN Secretary-General, confirmed on Friday.
- Secretary-General Ban repeats call for the reinstatement of Fiji's 'legitimate authority' UN News Centre 05 Jan 2007 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called for the reinstatement of Fiji's "legitimate authority," following the announcement that the leader of last December's coup d'état has become Prime Minister of the country.
- Bush Seeking "Tens of Millions" in Palestinian Aid Washington File 05 Jan 2007 -- President Bush is seeking to provide Palestinian security forces under the control of President Mahmoud Abbas with "non-lethal material assistance" designed to help them provide security and regulate checkpoints.
- Leaders of Warring Palestinian Factions Agree to Truce VOA 05 Jan 2007 -- The leaders of warring Palestinian factions have agreed to a new ceasefire
- UN Reports 20,000 Newly Displaced in Chad VOA 05 Jan 2007 -- The U.N. refugee agency says violence over the past two weeks in eastern Chad has driven as many as 20,000 people from their homes.
- Thai Government Dismisses Rumors of New Coup VOA 05 Jan 2007 -- Thailand's government is dismissing rumors of a fresh coup plot, after such speculation ran rampant through Bangkok Thursday night
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|