02 January 2007 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- MND-B Troops Hit by Roadside Bomb
- CENTAF releases airpower summary for Jan. 2 AFPN 02 Jan 2007 -- United States Central Command Air Forces and coalition partners continue to support NATO and the International Security Assistance Force and the government of Afghanistan to achieve a secure and stable country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Air Force not being stealthy about upgrading B-2 fleet AFPN 02 Jan 2007 -- The Air Force isn't being stealthy about plans to upgrade its B-2 Spirit fleet; officials say the bomber will need numerous upgrades over its life span.
- Boeing Passes GPS III Milestone and Receives Follow-on Funding Boeing 02 Jan 2007 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] has successfully completed a critical U.S. Air Force review of its Global Positioning System (GPS) Space Segment III program and has been awarded a $50 million contract for additional system design activities.
- U.S. Army Awards General Dynamics $145 Million for Stryker Logistic Support General Dynamics 02 Jan 2007 -- The U.S. Army TACOM Lifecycle Management Command recently awarded General Dynamics Land Systems, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), $145 million for contractor logistics support of the Stryker family of combat vehicles
- Navy Awards General Dynamics $51 Million For Sub Maintenance and Modernization Work General Dynamics 02 Jan 2007 -- On Dec. 28, 2006, the U.S. Navy awarded General Dynamics Electric Boat a $50.7 million contract to perform routine maintenance and modernization work on the USS Albany (SSN-753), a Los Angeles-class attack submarine
- General Dynamics Receives $1.3 Billion Contract Modification For Virginia-class Submarine Procurement General Dynamics 02 Jan 2007 -- On Dec. 28, 2006, the U.S. Navy awarded General Dynamics Electric Boat a $1.3 billion contract modification that provides funding for the construction of the ninth Virginia-class submarine (SSN-782) and advance procurement for the 10th ship of the class
- BAE SYSTEMS RECEIVES CONTRACT FOR M113 UPGRADE KITS FOR NORWEGIAN ARMY BAE Systems 02 Jan 2007 -- BAE Systems has received a $29.7 million contract from the Norwegian Defence Procurement Division for the development and delivery of M113 upgrade kits.
- Northrop Grumman to Support Joint Distribution Process Analysis Center for U.S. Transportation Command Northrop Grumman 02 Jan 2007 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has been selected by the U.S. Transportation Command to help establish a Joint Distribution Process Analysis Center that will integrate analytic capabilities across the organization and support joint operations.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 02 Jan 2007
- The Middle East Strategic Balance 2005-2006 INSS 02 Jan 2007
- Analysis: Sudan Strife Bleeds across Borders cfr.org 02 Jan 2007 -- Four months after the UN Security Council approved an UN peacekeeping mission in Sudan's Darfur region, Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir continues to bar such troops, as well as a hybrid AU-UN force offered as a compromise
- Backgrounder: Sudan, Chad, and the Central African Republic cfr.org 02 Jan 2007
- Sri Lankan Air Force strikes at LTTE locations IRNA 02 Jan 2007 -- As the security situation continues to be volatile, the Sri Lankan Air Force (SLAF) carried out three air strikes at Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) locations in northern and eastern parts of the island this morning.
- Sri Lanka to purchase $100m worth of arms from Pakistan IRNA 02 Jan 2007 -- Pakistan will sell over 100 million US dollars worth of military equipment and arms to Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lanka: UN calls for warring parties to resume talks after at least 14 more are killed UN News Centre 02 Jan 2007 -- Following the killing of at least 14 civilians in Sri Lanka today, the United Nations called on the Government and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) to stop fighting, protect the innocent and resume talks.
- Darfur: Secretary-General pledges to give resolution of crisis his 'highest attention' UN News Centre 02 Jan 2007 -- Describing the Darfur crisis as one of his top priorities in office, the new Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon announced plans today to enter immediately into diplomatic efforts to end the bloodshed in the Sudanese region, holding a meeting with his senior envoy tomorrow and attending an African Union (AU) summit later this month.
- Somali And Kenyan Presidents Meet VOA 02 Jan 2007 -- Somalia's interim president is in Kenya for talks with President Mwai Kibaki and other top security officials
- Ethiopian PM Says Troops May Leave Somalia Within a Few Weeks VOA 02 Jan 2007 -- Ethiopia's prime minister says his country's troops may leave Somalia within a few weeks.
- Casamance Violence Likely to Become Issue in Senegal Elections VOA 02 Jan 2007 -- Senegalese President Abdoulaye Wade attended funeral services Tuesday for a close political ally assassinated earlier this week in the Casamance region of the country
- Ivory Coast Rebels Reject Peace Talk Proposal VOA 02 Jan 2007 -- Rebels in Ivory Coast have rejected President Laurent Gbagbo's proposal to hold direct peace talks without the involvement of international agencies
- Funeral Services Held in Washington for 38th US President Gerald Ford VOA 02 Jan 2007 -- Final respects were paid in Washington today for former President Gerald Ford, who died last Tuesday at the age of 93
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|