29 December 2006 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 29 Dec 2006 [PDF]
- Three Marines killed in Al Anbar
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualties
- CENTAF releases airpower summary for Dec. 29 AFPN 29 Dec 2006 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the airpower summary for Dec. 29.
- Six Terrorists Killed, 32 Captured; Insurgents Kill Iraqi Civilian AFPS 29 Dec 2006 -- Coalition and Iraqi forces killed six terrorists and captured 32 suspected terrorists today, military officials reported.
- Navy Reservists Provide Air-Cargo Handling Support for Marines Navy NewsStand 29 Dec 2006 -- As 2006 winds down, Navy Reservists assigned to Navy's Mobile Air Cargo Handling (MACH) VI Team, headquartered at Camp Al Asad, Iraq, look back on their accomplishments in the first few months of an expected seven month deployment.
- Camp Pendleton Medical Battalion Provides Care to Military, Civilian Iraqis Navy NewsStand 29 Dec 2006 -- Charlie Health Services Company Al Asad detachment, 1st Medical Battalion Camp Pendleton, Calif. of Combat Logistics Regiment 15, has operated on more than 200 patients and completed more than 400 Level II resuscitations from August to December 2006 here in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- 127th British soldier killed in Iraq IRNA 29 Dec 2006 -- A British soldier was killed by roadside bomb while on patrol near the city of Basra in southern Iraq, the Ministry of Defence in London announced Friday.
- Mottaki: American presence in Afghanistan source of instability IRNA 29 Dec 2006 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said in spite of US presence in Afghanistan for 5 years, terrorism has not been wiped out there and there is no security in that country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- National Guard Responds to Second Colorado Storm AFPS 29 Dec 2006 -- About 165 members of the Colorado National Guard have been activated since yesterday in the wake of the state's second blizzard in 10 days, the state adjutant general said today.
- Elite Air Force Unit Transports Former President's Body AFPS 29 Dec 2006 -- The U.S. Air Force 89th Airlift Wing, based on Andrews Air Force Base, Md., will transport the body of former President Gerald R. Ford, a U.S. Navy veteran, as his remains are flown between points in California, Washington and Michigan, Air Force military officers based here said.
- China Defends Military Increase, Pledges Peaceful Development VOA 29 Dec 2006 -- China has issued a white paper on defense policy, saying its struggles to oppose separatist forces in Taiwan and North Korea's nuclear policy remain challenges
- ETHIOPIA-SOMALIA: Fragile security in Mogadishu, NGO slams raid on hospital IRIN 29 Dec 2006 -- The Somali capital of Mogadishu was quiet but tense on Friday as thousands of displaced residents who fled their homes earlier in the week stayed away out of fear, local sources in the city said.
- United States Sees Chance for National Reconciliation in Somalia Washington File 29 Dec 2006 -- The transitional Somali government's December 28 seizure of control over the Somali capital Mogadishu offers "an historic opportunity for the Somali people to achieve a broad-based, inclusive government," the U.S. ambassador to Kenya said December 29.
- Somalia Leader: Troops 'Firmly in Control' of Mogadishu VOA 29 Dec 2006 -- Somalia's interim Prime Minister Ali Mohamed Gedi says his secular government troops and their Ethiopian allies are firmly in control of the capital, Mogadishu, one day after the once-powerful Islamists hastily abandoned the city
- US Urges Inclusive Dialogue on Somalia's Future VOA 29 Dec 2006 -- The United States said Friday the situation in Somalia presents a chance for the Somali people to achieve a broad-based, inclusive government
- Analysis: Morass in Somalia Deepens cfr.org 29 Dec 2006 -- For the past sixteen years, Somalia has been widely acknowledged-and ignored-as a failed state
- Israel Rules Out Palestinian Prisoner Release for Muslim Holiday VOA 29 Dec 2006 -- Israel has ruled out the release of Palestinian prisoners ahead of a major Muslim holiday
- NEPAL: UN monitoring of arms and armies to begin IRIN 29 Dec 2006 -- The United Nations will launch its first arms monitoring operation in Nepal beginning on 7 January to implement its support to the peace process as requested by the Maoists and the interim government of seven national parties, which signed a historic peace agreement in November ending the decade-long armed conflict that had killed over 14,000 Nepalese people.
- Four Appear in British Court on Rwandan Genocide Charges VOA 29 Dec 2006 -- Four men have appeared in a London court after being arrested on extradition warrants charging them with participating in the Rwandan genocide of 1994
- World Leaders Remember Former U.S. President Gerald Ford Washington File 29 Dec 2006 -- Heads of state from around the world are offering tributes in memory of former U.S. President Gerald R. Ford, who died December 26 at age 93 in Rancho Mirage, California.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|