28 December 2006 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 28 Dec 2006 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualties
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Two Soldiers killed by roadside bomb near Baghdad
- Soldier killed by roadside bomb in Baghdad
- Marine killed in Al Anbar
- Dismounted Security Patrol Struck by Roadside Bomb
- CENTAF releases airpower summary for Dec. 28 AFPN 28 Dec 2006 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the airpower summary for Dec. 28.
- Combined Forces Capture 60 Insurgents, Kill Cell Leader AFPS 28 Dec 2006 -- Combined forces captured 60 suspected insurgents and killed one cell leader over the past four days in Iraq.
- Combat Operating Post Falcon opens new Civil Military Operation Center MNF-I 28 Dec 2006 -- Tuesday morning began a new era in civil affairs for the residents in south central Ramadi as the grand opening of a new Civil Military Operation Center began servicing the local population.
- Afghan President Criticizes Pakistani Mine Plan VOA 28 Dec 2006 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai denounced Pakistani plans to fence and mine sections of its border with Afghanistan
- 'Showing force': B-1 bomber crews' airpower keeps enemy in check AFPN 28 Dec 2006
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Halsey Returns Home for Holidays Navy NewsStand 28 Dec 2006 -- Family and friends lined the pier at Naval Station San Diego as the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Halsey (DDG 97) returned home Christmas Eve following the successful completion of its maiden deployment.
- "Ike" Sailors Experience Culture of Jebel Ali, Dubai Navy NewsStand 28 Dec 2006 -- Sailors aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) enjoyed some time off as well as a chance to experience a foreign culture during a five-day port visit to Jebel Ali, United Arab Emirates, Dec. 22-26.
- US, Canadian Navies Share Maritime Security Skills Navy NewsStand 28 Dec 2006 -- USS Comstock (LSD 45) and HMCS Ottawa (FFH 341) conducted visit, board, search and seizure (VBSS) training Dec. 19, while operating in the Persian Gulf.
- UK buying new bomb disposal robots IRNA 28 Dec 2006 -- The British government announced Thursday that it was buying a fleet of new hi-tech bomb disposal robots for ground troops under a contract worth Pnds 65 million (Dlrs 124 m).
- DoD News: Contracts for December 28, 2006
- ATK Receives $14 Million in Contracts for HELLFIRE Rocket Motors and Warheads ATK 28 Dec 2006 -- ATK (NYSE: ATK) has received two contracts valued at nearly $14 million to manufacture rocket motors and warheads for the precision-strike HELLFIRE« II missile.
- Northrop Grumman Awarded MoD CUTLASS Programme to Provide Next Generation of UK Bomb Disposal Robots Northrop Grumman 28 Dec 2006 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) today announced that its Remotec UK Ltd. subsidiary has been appointed prime contractor for Phase II of the Ministry of Defence (MoD) CUTLASS robotics programme.
- Russia delivers combat helicopters to Venezuela under contracts RIA Novosti 28 Dec 2006 -- The Rostov Helicopter Plant has sent four combat and one transport helicopter to Venezuela under existing contracts with the Latin American country, a company official said Thursday.
- SAIC Awarded Defense Threat Reduction Agency Contract SAIC 28 Dec 2006 -- Science Applications International Corporation (NYSE: SAI) announced today it won a contract from the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) to work on the Integrated Weapons of Mass Destruction Toolset (IWMDT) Phase II.
- Israel Transfers Weapons to Abbas' Security Forces VOA 28 Dec 2006 -- Israel has allowed the transfer of weapons to forces loyal to embattled Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas in the Gaza Strip
- US Reaffirms Support for East African Force for Somalia VOA 28 Dec 2006 -- The United States said Thursday it continues to support a U.N. plan for an East African peacekeeping force for Somalia that would obviate the need for intervention by that country's neighbors
- SOMALIA: Mogadishu in chaos as Islamic militia leave IRIN 28 Dec 2006 -- Thousands of people have fled their homes, and at least 13 people have been killed and dozens injured, as rival militias clashed in Somalia's capital, Mogadishu, residents told IRIN on Thursday.
- Somali Prime Minister Says Government Troops in Mogadishu VOA 28 Dec 2006 -- Somalia's prime minister, Ali Mohamed Gedi, says the government's Ethiopian-backed troops have reached entry points into the capital, Mogadishu, after Islamists abandoned the city
- Islamists Abandon Somalia's Capital VOA 28 Dec 2006 -- The Somali capital, Mogadishu, is reported to be in chaos after Islamist forces, which had controlled the city for nearly seven months, abandoned it early Thursday
- Sudan: UN personnel arrive in ravaged Darfur region to support African Union force UN News Centre 28 Dec 2006 -- An initial group of 25 uniformed United Nations personnel arrived today in Sudan's Darfur region to support an African Union mission (AMIS) that has been working to monitor the strife-torn area, which is roughly the size of France.
- US Cites 'Positive Movement' on Darfur Peacekeeping VOA 28 Dec 2006 -- The United States said Thursday there has been some "positive movement" by Sudan in allowing deployment of advance elements of new U.N. and African Union peacekeeping force in Darfur
- Sudan Rejects UN Peacekeepers for Darfur VOA 28 Dec 2006 -- Sudan has rejected a plea by departing U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan for a hybrid U.N.-African Union peacekeeping force in Darfur
- DRC: Clashes, displacement in the east IRIN 28 Dec 2006 -- Thousands of people have been displaced from their homes in eastern DRC due to renewed clashes between the regular army, and forces allied to renegade commander Laurent Nkunda, according to military sources and the UN peacekeeping mission, MONUC.
- NEPAL: Government steps in to stop Nepalganj violence IRIN 28 Dec 2006 -- Nepal's government has stepped in to help ease tensions after two days of violent clashes between rival groups in the western city of Nepalganj.
- Envoy confident about efforts to determine final status of UN-run Kosovo UN News Centre 28 Dec 2006 -- The top United Nations envoy in Kosovo today voiced confidence on reaching a decision on the final status of the Albanian-majority Serbian province that the world body has run since Western forces drove out Yugoslav troops in 1999 amid ethnic fighting.
- UN Police deployed in all 12 districts of Timor-Leste as poll preparations move ahead UN News Centre 28 Dec 2006 -- United Nations police officers have now deployed in all 12 of Timor-Leste's districts to help end the low-level gang violence in the country and provide security for the electoral experts who are helping prepare for next year's polls, the UN envoy said today, as he stressed the world body's commitment to the elections.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|