09 November 2006 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 09 Nov 2006 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- CENTAF releases airpower summary for Nov. 9 AFPN 09 Nov 2006 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the airpower summary for Nov. 9.
- Iraqi, Coalition Forces Search for Weapons, Repel Attack AFPS 09 Nov 2006 -- Iraqi and coalition soldiers searched the Al Gafour Mosque in Hit, Iraq, yesterday after receiving small-arms fire and rocket-propelled-grenade attacks from insurgents within the mosque compound.
- Reward Offered for Information Leading to Kidnapped Soldier AFPS 09 Nov 2006 -- Officials in Iraq are offering up to $50,000 for information leading to Spc. Ahmed Kousay Altaie, a 41-year-old U.S. Army Reserve soldier kidnapped Oct. 23 outside Baghdad's International Zone.
- Iwo Jima ESG Departs 5th Fleet Navy NewsStand 09 Nov 2006 -- USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7) Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG) successfully transited the Suez Canal Nov. 8, concluding operations in the U.S. Naval Forces Central Command/U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations (AOR).
- Boxer ESG Enters 5th Fleet Area of Operations Navy NewsStand 09 Nov 2006 -- USS Boxer (LHD 4) Expeditionary Strike Group (BOXESG) entered U.S. 5th Fleet's area of operation Nov. 8 during a deployment in support of maritime security operations (MSO).
- Carrier Air Wing 7 Begins OEF Missions Navy NewsStand 09 Nov 2006 -- Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 7, embarked aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (Ike) (CVN 69), began conducting Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) missions in support of ground troops in Afghanistan, Nov. 6.
- Pakistanis Question Attack on Suspected Terrorist Center VOA 09 Nov 2006 -- On October 30, an aerial attack on a suspected terrorist facility in one of Pakistan's tribal areas killed at least 80 people
- Afghanistan: Karzai Discusses Worsening Security In RFE/RL Interview RFE/RL 09 Nov 2006 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai met with the director of RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan, Akbar Ayazi, for a wide-ranging interview in Kabul on November 9.
Defense Policy / Programs
- President Bush Meets with Cabinet The White House 09 Nov 2006
- Transcript: Remarks by Secretary Rumsfeld at the Landon Lecture at Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kan. 09 Nov 2006 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld
- Change Needed to Combat New Threats, Rumsfeld Says AFPS 09 Nov 2006 -- Change is needed to combat threats confronting America, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said during a speech at Kansas State University today.
- Officials Promise Seamless Defense Secretary Transition AFPS 09 Nov 2006 -- DoD personnel will work diligently to ensure a seamless transition between outgoing Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and Robert M. Gates, Pentagon officials said today.
- New U.S. Defense Secretary Seen As 'Fresh Start' RFE/RL 09 Nov 2006 -- Newly victorious Democratic Party politicians in the United States have welcomed the resignation of Donald Rumsfeld after nearly six years as defense secretary, saying it offers a chance for a "fresh start" for U.S. policy in Iraq.
- Gates Expected to Make Changes at Pentagon VOA 09 Nov 2006 -- President Bush has chosen a former CIA director Robert Gates to replace Donald Rumsfeld as Secretary of Defense
- Analysis: Robert Gates and a 'Fresh Perspective' cfr.org 09 Nov 2006 -- The announcement of Robert M. Gates to replace Donald Rumsfeld as defense secretary has brought a great gust of anticipation in Washington about a new approach on Iraq
- Officials select developer for combat search and rescue replacement vehicle AFPN 09 Nov 2006 -- Secretary of the Air Force Michael W. Wynne announced the selection of Boeing Helicopter of Ridley Park, Pa., to provide the new combat search and rescue replacement vehicle, known as CSAR-X.
- DoD Announces Recruiting and Retention Numbers for October 09 Nov 2006 -- The Department of Defense announced today its recruiting and retention statistics for the active and reserve components for the month of October.
- Raptor wing does not forget its past on road to future AFPN 09 Nov 2006 -- Though a unit's past might be dotted with a book full of famous Air Force firsts, over the decades, its Airmen tend to forget that.
- AMC reduces costs through fuel efficiency AFPN 09 Nov 2006 -- Energy costs are a significant part of the Defense Department operating budget, and Air Mobility Command uses 54 percent of the U.S. military's consumption of aviation fuel.
- Ads offer Army News Release 09 Nov 2006 -- Today, Nov. 9, the U.S. Army launched its new Army Strong advertising campaign on network television nationwide.
- HSL-49 Completes Counter-Narcotics Deployment Navy NewsStand 09 Nov 2006 -- Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron Light (HSL) 49 returned to Naval Air Station North Island, Calif., Oct. 27 from a successful six-month counter-narco terrorism (CNT) deployment aboard USS Curts (FFG 38).
- FISC Puget Sound Hosts Joint Service Field Fuel Exercise Navy NewsStand 09 Nov 2006 -- Members of the U.S. Army's 40th Transportation Company completed field fuel exercises Nov. 9 with U.S. Navy personnel at Fleet and Industrial Supply Center (FISC) Puget Sound Manchester Fuel Department.
- Sudden Change in U.S. Foreign Policy Unlikely After Election Washington File 09 Nov 2006 -- Historically, there have not been sudden changes in U.S. foreign policy following its elections, according to U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom Robert H. Tuttle.
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 09 Nov 2006
- Press Briefing by Tony Snow The White House 09 Nov 2006
- Press Briefing by National Security Advisor Steve Hadley The White House 09 Nov 2006
- Boeing Awarded U.S. Air Force Combat Search and Rescue Contract Boeing 09 Nov 2006 -- The Boeing Company's [NYSE: BA] HH-47 helicopter has been selected by the U.S. Air Force as the winner of the Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) program competition.
- DoD News: Contracts for November 09, 2006
- U.S. Army Places Second Production Order For Eurocopter UH-145 Light Utility Helicopters EADS 09 Nov 2006 -- The U.S. Army has ordered 34 additional Eurocopter UH-145 Light Utility Helicopters, bringing the total number of aircraft purchased by the Army to 42
- Boeing Awarded $78.2 Million Contract to Upgrade ICBM Weapon System Boeing 09 Nov 2006 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] has received a $78.2 million contract from Northrop Grumman Mission Systems to deploy a replacement Environmental Control System (ECS) for more than 550 U.S. Air Force Minuteman Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) launch, missile alert and Class 1 trainer facilities.
- LOCKHEED MARTIN, POLAND AIR FORCE CELEBRATE ARRIVAL OF MOST ADVANCED F-16 MULTIROLE FIGHTERS IN EUROPE Northrop Grumman 09 Nov 2006 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE:LMT], the Poland Air Force (PoAF), Polish Ministry of Defense (PMOD) and other Polish government officials celebrated the arrival of the first four new Advanced Block 52 F-16 multirole fighters at the Posnan-Krzesiny Airbase in Poland today
- General Dynamics to Support Development of High-Speed Underwater Transport Craft General Dynamics 09 Nov 2006 -- General Dynamics Electric Boat has been awarded a $5.7 million contract to support development of the Underwater Express, an undersea transport capable of controllable speeds up to 100 knots through supercavitation. Electric Boat is a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD).
- SAIC Signs Agreement to Acquire Applied Marine Technology, Inc. SAIC 09 Nov 2006 -- Science Applications International Corporation (NYSE: SAI) today announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Applied Marine Technology, Inc. (AMTI). Based in Virginia Beach, Va., AMTI has expertise in special operations and special mission units and provides a broad range of services, products and expertise to the special warfare community, military, law enforcement, the intelligence community and private industry, including the areas of homeland security and the global war on terrorism. Offerings include training and exercises, systems engineering and integration, information systems and communications, and rapid prototyping of technical solutions and products focused on support to intelligence and special warfare.
- Boeing to Build Fourth U.S. Air Force Wideband Gapfiller Satellite Boeing 09 Nov 2006 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has received a $299.8 million U.S. Air Force contract for the production of the fourth Wideband Gapfiller Satellite (WGS).
- Raytheon Selects ATK for Stunner Interceptor Booster Motor Development Raytheon 09 Nov 2006 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has selected Alliant Techsystems Inc. (ATK) to develop the booster motor for the flexible, affordable and lethal Stunner Interceptor, an element of the Short Range Missile Defense (SRMD) program.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICES OF THE SPOKESMAN FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL AND THE SPOKESWOMAN FOR THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT United Nations 09 Nov 2006
- Palestinian Official Calls Israeli Artillery Strike 'State Terrorism' VOA 09 Nov 2006 -- A Palestinian official has told the United Nations Security Council the Israeli artillery strike that killed 18 people in the northern Gaza Strip was a war crime.
- After deadly Gaza shelling, senior UN official urges Israel, Palestinians to return to talks UN News Centre 09 Nov 2006 -- The Security Council met in open session today to discuss the latest deadly violence in the Gaza Strip, with a senior United Nations official calling on Israel to review the implications of its military actions, on the Palestinians to take the critically important step of stopping rocket attacks by militants, and on both sides to return to talks.
- Lebanese army deploys in more territory vacated by Israel, UN reports UN News Centre 09 Nov 2006 -- The Lebanese army today began deploying troops in one of the last positions that Israel still occupied in the south of the country after this summer's war with Hizbollah, the United Nations peacekeeping mission reported.
- Palestinians Hold Mass Funeral for Victims of Israeli Shelling in Gaza VOA 09 Nov 2006 -- Tens of thousands of Palestinians have taken part in a mass funeral for 18 victims of an Israeli artillery attack Wednesday in the Gaza Strip
- Israeli Warplanes Fly Over Southern, Eastern Lebanon VOA 09 Nov 2006 -- Lebanese officials say Israeli warplanes have again violated Lebanon's airspace.
- World Court Begins Hearings Against Alleged Congo Warlord VOA 09 Nov 2006 -- Judges at the International Criminal Court in The Hague began hearing evidence for the first time, as prosecutors began laying out their case against a Congolese militia leader
- DRC: ICC begins hearings in case against militia leader IRIN 09 Nov 2006 -- The Hague-based International Criminal Court began on Thursday its first pre-trial hearings of a case against a former militia leader from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
- U.S. Rejects Independence Referendum in Georgia's South Ossetia Washington File 09 Nov 2006 -- The United States joins the international community in rejecting a referendum and self-proclaimed presidential election scheduled for November 12 in Georgia's separatist region of South Ossetia, U.S. diplomats say.
- Ivory Coast Violence Escalates VOA 09 Nov 2006 -- Last week five died in Ivory Coast during battles between a militia and the local population.
- US Signals Flexibility on Darfur Peace Force VOA 09 Nov 2006 -- The United States signaled flexibility Thursday on the shape of a new international peacekeeping force for Darfur
- Sri Lankan Military Sinks at Least 16 Rebel Boats in Sea Battle VOA 09 Nov 2006 -- Sri Lanka's military says an intense sea battle erupted Thursday off the island's northern coast when rebels tried to sink a passenger boat with more than 300 civilians on board.
- CHAD: More violence in east IRIN 09 Nov 2006 -- The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) has released testimony of attacks on unarmed villagers that it says have uprooted 63,000 people this year, while the government has confirmed inter-communal violence is on the rise in the same region.
- NEPAL: Security still a challenge despite peace deal - leaders IRIN 09 Nov 2006 -- With extortion, threats and intimidation still common in many parts of rural Nepal, security will remain a serious challenge for many months to come despite Wednesday's landmark peace deal, political leaders said on Thursday.
- CAR: Help us kick rebels out of town, Bozize urges France IRIN 09 Nov 2006 -- Central African Republic (CAR) President Francois Bozize has renewed his call to France to help his government repulse a rebel coalition that has captured the northern town of Birao.
- PRESS CONFERENCE BY SYSTEM-WIDE COHERENCE PANEL United Nations 09 Nov 2006
- General Assembly yet again issues annual call for end to US embargo against Cuba UN News Centre 09 Nov 2006 -- For the 15th year in a row, the United Nations General Assembly has overwhelmingly called on the United States to end its commercial, economic and financial embargoes against Cuba that began more than 46 years ago.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|