19 August 2006 Military News
- SOLDIER DIES IN AL ANBAR PROVINCE
- Baghdad Announces Two-Day Vehicle Ban RFE/RL 19 Aug 2006 -- The Iraqi government has announced a two-day vehicle ban in parts of Baghdad, to reduce the threat of attacks during a major Shi'ite religious festival.
- Temporary Vehicle Ban in Force in Baghdad as Thousands of Shi'ite Pilgrims Gather VOA 19 Aug 2006 -- Iraqi security forces are on high alert Saturday as thousands of Shi'ite pilgrims gather in Baghdad for Sunday's commemoration of the death of an eighth century imam.
- Afghan, Foreign Soldiers Killed in Independence Day Clashes VOA 19 Aug 2006 -- Clashes between coalition forces and Taleban insurgents in Afghanistan have left at least five soldiers dead Saturday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Iran Conducts War Games, Says It Should Be Ready for Enemy Attack VOA 19 Aug 2006 -- The commander in chief of Iran's army says his country must be ready for possible attacks by what he called Iran's "crazy" enemy.
- Christening of Northrop Grumman-Built Makin Island (LHD 8) Honors Heroes, Offers Hope for Gulf Coast Shipbuilders Northrop Grumman 19 Aug 2006 -- Patriotic tradition and unyielding optimism joined today when ship's sponsor Silke B. Hagee smashed a champagne bottle against the hull of the Northrop Grumman-built (NYSE:NOC) amphibious assault ship Makin Island (LHD 8) before an audience of more than 1,000 guests.
- Bush Says U.S. Working To Implement Resolution on Lebanon Washington File 19 Aug 2006 -- President Bush told the American public the U.N. Security Council resolution ending the violence in Lebanon creates "a foundation for a sustainable peace," and the United States is working with the international community to help implement it.
- Israel's violation of cessation of hostilities endangers fragile calm - Annan UN News Centre 19 Aug 2006 -- United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has been in touch with top Israeli and Lebanese officials today following an Israeli raid in eastern Lebanon which he warned endangers the fragile calm that has generally held in the region since Monday.
- Israeli Soldier Killed in Lebanon Raid VOA 19 Aug 2006 -- Israeli officials say a soldier has been killed and two others wounded in an Israeli commando raid deep into Lebanon.
- Israel Detains Palestinian Deputy Prime Minister VOA 19 Aug 2006 -- Israeli soldiers have detained Palestinian Deputy Prime Minister Nasser al-Shaer.
- Israeli soldiers capture Palestinian deputy PM from home IRNA 19 Aug 2006 -- As part of an attempt described by Palestinian officials to capture the entire members of Palestinian government elected in the general election last year, Israeli soldiers arrested the Palestinian deputy prime minister from his home early Saturday.
- Israel says Russian arms brought it failure in war with Hizbollah IRNA 19 Aug 2006 -- Israel claims that the use of Russian arms by Lebanese Islamic Resistance forces had been the reason for its defeat in the war, said a Russian daily.
- Middle East: Israel Violates Cease-Fire, Arrests Palestinian Official RFE/RL 19 Aug 2006 -- Despite a UN resolution calling for a cease-fire in the Middle East there was fighting overnight in Lebanon and anger in the Palestinian territories at the arrest of a top government official.
- UN team discusses how to achieve long-term ceasefire with officials in Beirut UN News Centre 19 Aug 2006 -- A United Nations delegation met in Beirut today with Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora and other senior officials to discuss carrying out the terms of Security Council resolution 1701, which was adopted just over a week ago and forced a cessation to the hostilities that had engulfed Lebanon and northern Israel over the previous month, with a view to forging a long-term ceasefire.
- Chechnya: New Council Points To Divisions In Republic's Leadership RFE/RL 19 Aug 2006 -- On October 5, Chechen Prime Minister Ramzan Kadyrov will turn 30, the minimum age for candidates for the post of pro-Moscow republic head.
- Two Chechen militants surrender in last 24 hours - authorities RIA Novosti 19 Aug 2006 -- Two former members of illegal armed groups surrendered in the last 24 hours in Chechnya, local Interior Ministry said Saturday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|