12 August 2006 Military News
- 2 MND-B SOLDIERS KILLED IN IED BLAST
- U.S. Troops Seize Al-Qaeda Suspects RFE/RL 12 Aug 2006 -- Iraqi insurgents killed eight civilians and a police officer in attacks around the country on August 12, following a night in which the U.S. military says it killed 26 rebels after coming under fire from several locations in Al-Ramadi, west of the capital Baghdad.
- US Military Detains 60 Terror Suspects at Baghdad Funeral VOA 12 Aug 2006 -- The U.S. military in Iraq says its troops have detained 60 suspected terrorists at a Baghdad funeral.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Security Council Unanimous on Ending Mideast Hostilities Washington File 12 Aug 2006 -- The U.N. Security Council has unanimously adopted a resolution calling for an immediate end to the fighting between Hezbollah and Israel and authorized an expanded U.N. peacekeeping force to help the Lebanese army take control of southern Lebanon as Israel withdraws.
- Middle East: Cessation of hostilities will begin on Monday, Annan announces UN News Centre 12 Aug 2006 -- The conflict that has engulfed Lebanon and northern Israel over the past month is set to end on Monday when a cessation of hostilities called for by the United Nations Security Council enters into force, Secretary-General Kofi Annan announced today following talks with the leaders of both countries.
- Aid Efforts in South Lebanon Stifled by Continued Israeli Airstrikes VOA 12 Aug 2006 -- A new shipment of aid has reached the southern Lebanese city of Tyre, which has been largely cut off from the outside world since Monday
- Israel Pushes Into Lebanon Despite Cease-Fire Deal VOA 12 Aug 2006 -- Israeli ground forces pushed deeper into Lebanon on Saturday, and Israeli air strikes killed at least 20 people - one day before the Israeli Cabinet is expected to approve a U.N. resolution aimed at ending the fighting
- Lebanon, Israel Expected to Approve UN Cease-Fire Resolution VOA 12 Aug 2006 -- Lebanon's prime minister said Saturday that a United Nations cease-fire resolution aimed at ending the fighting between Israel and Hezbollah serves Lebanon's interest.
- LEBANON: Unanimous UN Security Council vote for ceasefire IRIN 12 Aug 2006 -- The United Nations Security Council voted unanimously Friday evening to immediately end the month-long hostilities between the Lebanese militia Hezbollah and Israel.
- Israel Steps Up Offensive Despite UN Resolution RFE/RL 12 Aug 2006 -- Israel has tripled the number of ground troops operating in Lebanon, just hours after the United Nations finally approved a resolution aimed at resolving the five-week crisis.
- Russia expects parties to honor UN ceasefire resolution-ministry RIA Novosti 12 Aug 2006 -- Russia expects all parties concerned to observe a UN Security Council resolution calling for a ceasefire in Lebanon, the Foreign Ministry said Saturday.
- Russia backs UN resolution urging ceasefire in Lebanon-envoy RIA Novosti 12 Aug 2006 -- Russia has decided to endorse the UN Security Council resolution on Lebanon since it includes Moscow's key demand for an immediate ceasefire, Russia's ambassador to the UN said Saturday.
- As fighting persists in Lebanon, blue helmet wounded when Israeli rounds hit UN post UN News Centre 12 Aug 2006 -- One day after the Security Council voted unanimously for a cessation of hostilities in Lebanon, fighting continued today and one blue helmet was wounded when Israeli fire hit a United Nations position in the south.
- Fresh Fighting Flares in Sri Lanka VOA 12 Aug 2006 -- Fighting between the Sri Lankan military and the Tamil Tiger rebels has intensified in northern Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan Peace Coordinator Assassinated VOA 12 Aug 2006 -- Sri Lankan authorities say unidentified gunmen have shot dead a top government official involved in the Norwegian-led peace process with Tamil Tigers.
- Nigerian Troops Leaving Bakassi Ahead of Monday Handover VOA 12 Aug 2006 -- Nigerian troops continue their pullout from the disputed Bakassi peninsula ahead of a Monday deadline for complete withdrawal.
- Kabila Maintains Lead in Latest Congo Election Results VOA 12 Aug 2006 -- The latest election returns from the Democratic Republic of Congo show President Joseph Kabila moving above the 50 percent mark for the first time.
- Fidel Castro Issues Birthday Message, Brother Raul Appears in Public VOA 12 Aug 2006 -- A Cuban newspaper has published the first photos of Cuban President Fidel Castro since the announcement July 31 that he underwent surgery for intestinal bleeding, and his younger brother, Raul, appeared in public for the first time since assuming temporary leadership
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|