08 July 2006 Military News
- THREE MNF-W SOLDIERS KILLED
- CENTAF releases airpower summary AFPN 08 Jul 2006 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the airpower summary for July 8.
- Taliban "energised" by troop deployment, says UK defence minister IRNA 08 Jul 2006 -- Defence Secretary Des Browne admitted Saturday that the presence of British troops in southern Afghanistan had provoked Taliban forces.
- British Minister Admits Taliban 'Energized' RFE/RL 08 Jul 2006 -- Britain's defense minister admits, in comments reported in "The Guardian," the Taliban has been "energized" since the deployment of thousands of extra troops to Afghanistan's restive south.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Lincoln Underway For RIMPAC 06 Navy NewsStand 08 Jul 2006 -- USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) got underway from Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, July 5, to participate in several weeks of training and exercises as part of Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2006.
- USNS Mercy Concludes Bangladesh Aid Mission Navy NewsStand 08 Jul 2006 -- The U.S. Navy hospital ship USNS Mercy (T-AH 19) concluded an eight-day humanitarian assistance mission here July 8 where Mercy crew members, nongovernmental organization (NGO) volunteers, and foreign military medical professionals partnered together to perform a wide range of humanitarian and civic assistance and community outreach projects.
- Lassen Gets Gas on the Go in Valiant Shield Navy NewsStand 08 Jul 2006 -- USS Lassen (DDG 82) Sailors demonstrated their commitment to professionalism and safety June 21 by completing a nighttime UNREP with USNS Tippecanoe (T-AO 199) as part of Valiant Shield.
- Cougars Return Home to NAS Whidbey Island Navy NewsStand 08 Jul 2006 -- After nearly four months of conducting split operations in the Northern Persian Gulf and at Al Asad Air Base, in Iraq, the "Cougars" of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 139 returned home to Naval Air Station Whidbey Island July 6.
- US Guided-Missile Destroyer Arrives in Japan VOA 08 Jul 2006 -- The United States has sent a guided-missile destroyer to Japan, just days after North Korea tested seven missiles over the Sea of Japan earlier this week.
- A Crowning Achievement for Northrop Grumman's Newest Aircraft Carrier Northrop Grumman 08 Jul 2006 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) reached a major milestone today as it lifted the 700-ton island onto the flight deck of the nation's newest and most advanced nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, George H. W. Bush (CVN 77). The ship's namesake and 41st President of the United States, George H. W. Bush, participated in the event. He was accompanied by his wife and former First Lady Barbara Bush.
- Israel Expands Operations Near Gaza City, Hamas Calls for Cease-Fire VOA 08 Jul 2006 -- Israel has scaled back its military offensive in the northern Gaza Strip, as Palestinians call for a cease-fire.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|