19 February 2006 Military News
- PRESS CONFERENCE WITH U.S. AMBASSADOR TO IRAQ ZALMAY KHALILZAD MNF-I 19 Feb 2006
- U.S. Soldiers Kill Terrorists, Find Weapons Caches AFPS 19 Feb 2006 -- Multinational Division Baghdad soldiers killed four terrorists and uncovered weapons caches in multiple recent incidents, military officials reported.
- Roadside Bomb Kills Iraqi Police General VOA 19 Feb 2006 -- Iraqi authorities say a roadside bomb has killed a police general and his driver near the northern city of Kirkuk.
- Navy Ships Arrive in Philippines to Provide Disaster Relief AFPS 19 Feb 2006 -- Two Navy ships, USS Essex and USS Harpers Ferry, and elements of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit arrived off the coast of Southern Leyte today to provide humanitarian relief and assistance following a deadly Feb. 17 landslide.
- Airmen at Philippine exercise provide real world assistance AFPN 19 Feb 2006 -- Airmen from Yokota Air Base, Japan, and Andersen Air Base, Guam, who were in the Philippines as part of an annual bilateral exercise are providing real-world humanitarian assistance after mudslides engulfed a village and 1,800 people Feb. 17.
- Airmen provide vital support in mudslide relief effort AFPN 19 Feb 2006 -- Airmen from the 36th Contingency Response Group here are working alongside the Filipino government to assess requirements for support of mudslide relief efforts in Leyte, Philippines.
- Two U.S. Ships, Hundreds of Marines Join Relief Effort in Philippines Washington File 19 Feb 2006 -- The United States has diverted two amphibious ships to the Philippine island of Leyte to help with disaster relief efforts following a landslide that buried the village of Guinsaugon February 17, killing hundreds of people.
- CJTF-HOA CH-53 CREWMEMBERS CONFIRMED DEAD CENTCOM 19 Feb 2006 -- The Department of Defense confirmed the deaths of 10 CH-53E crewmembers as a result of the crash that occurred off the coast of northern Djibouti Friday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Reagan Carrier Strike Group Enters U.S. 5th Fleet Navy NewsStand 19 Feb 2006 -- The Navy’s newest aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), along with embarked Commander, Carrier Strike Group (CCSG) 7 and Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 14 arrived in the U.S. 5th Fleet Area of Operations Feb. 18 as part of a routine rotation of U.S. maritime forces.
- Rafael Selected to Supply Land Combat Fighting Suit Rafael 19 Feb 2006 -- The Czech Republic government has selected Steyr- Daimler-Puch Spezialfahrzeug GmbH of Austria (a part of General Dynamics European Land Combat Systems) as main supplier for its PANDUR II Wheeled Armored Vehicles and has chosen Rafael to equip the vehicles with a complete Land Combat Fighting Suit between 2007-2012. The entire contract amounts to $120 Million.
- NIGERIA: Militants seize 9 foreigners in new attack, cause cut in oil exports IRIN 20 Feb 2006 -- Armed militants in Nigeria's southern oil region seized nine foreign hostages, damaged an oil export terminal and blasted a major crude oil pipeline in simultaneous weekend attacks that reduced the country's oil exports by at least 20 percent.
- Nepal's Opposition Rejects King's Call for Reconciliation VOA 19 Feb 2006 -- Nepal's King Gyanendra has appealed to estranged political parties for reconciliation but the main opposition alliance has rejected his call.
- Israel Suspends Money Transfers to the Palestinian Authority VOA 19 Feb 2006 -- Israel is imposing economic sanctions on the Palestinian Authority, a day after the parliament led by the Islamic militant group Hamas was sworn in.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|