07 February 2006 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 07 Feb 2006 [PDF]
- MARINE DIES AFTER IED ATTACK
- THREE MARINES DIE IN IED ATTACK
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- BRIEFING WITH BRIGADIER GENERAL DONALD ALSTON (USAF), DIRECTOR, STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS, MULTINATIONAL FORCE IRAQ MNF-I 07 Feb 2006
- CENTAF releases daily airpower summary AFPN 07 Feb 2006 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials released today's airpower summary.
- Blasts Rock Baghdad Market; Roadside Bombs Kill 4 US Marines VOA 07 Feb 2006 -- Reports from Baghdad say two bombs have exploded near a market in central Baghdad, killing at least 10 people.
- Rakkasan Cavalry trains Iraqi Army to disrupt terrorists Army News 07 Feb 2006 -- Iraqi soldiers just finished a seven-day training cycle with the 2-9 Cavalry's Military Transition Team.
- Operations in Iraq Net 26 Suspects, Weapons Caches AFPS 07 Feb 2006 -- Raids near Salman Pak, Iraq, yesterday resulted in the detention of suspected terrorists, and U.S. forces discovered a significant weapons cache Feb. 3, Multinational Force Iraq officials said today.
- AFGHANISTAN: Suicide bomber kills 13 IRIN 07 Feb 2006 -- A suicide bomber killed 13 and wounded 13 others when he blew himself up at police headquarters in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar, officials said on Tuesday.
- Taliban Members Detained; New Cadets Begin Training AFPS 07 Feb 2006 -- Afghan National Police and coalition forces detained four members of the Taliban in Ghazni province, Afghanistan, Feb. 5, officials reported today.
- Four Dead As Protestors Clash With Police And NATO RFE/RL 07 Feb 2006 -- As many as four people were reported killed in northern Afghanistan today when demonstrators protesting newspaper cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad stormed a complex where Norwegian troops are stationed.
- United States Provides Afghanistan Full Debt Forgiveness Washington File 07 Feb 2006 -- The United States announced February 7 that it would join Russia and Germany in canceling 100 percent of the debt owed to it by Afghanistan.
- Afghan Protesters Clash with NATO Troops VOA 07 Feb 2006 -- Thousands of rioters in northwestern Afghanistan clashed with NATO troops Tuesday during protests over cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed as a terrorist.
- Suspected Suicide Bomber Kills 13 in Southern Afghanistan VOA 07 Feb 2006 -- At least 13 people were killed and 11 injured in a blast outside the police headquarters in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar.
- Afghanistan: NATO Troops Apply 'Robust' New Rules Of Engagement RFE/RL 07 Feb 2006 -- NATO forces being deployed across Afghanistan as part of the UN-mandated International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) are operating under new rules.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Juneau Operates as Staging Platform for TRUEX Navy NewsStand 07 Feb 2006 -- USS Juneau (LPD 10) provided the platform, Feb. 2, for Marines of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) to launch Combat Rubber Raiding Craft (CRRC), in order to reach Guam shores and continue with Training in an Urban Environment Exercise (TRUEX).
- Reagan Carrier Strike Group Makes Port Visit to Singapore Navy NewsStand 07 Feb 2006 -- The USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) Carrier Strike Group arrived in Singapore Feb. 7 for a scheduled port visit. USS Lake Champlain (CG 57 ) and USNS Rainer (T-AOE 7 ) will be joining them in port.
- HS-3 Supports Coalition Troops in Southeast Iraq Navy NewsStand 07 Feb 2006 -- HH-60 Seahawks from Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron (HS) 3 aboard USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) supported British coalition troops in southeastern Iraq as part of Blue Shark Mission, Jan. 28.
- F/A-18 Crashes During Training Mission Navy NewsStand 07 Feb 2006 -- A two-seat Navy F/A-18D aircraft from Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 125, impacted the ocean approximately four miles southeast of the air station during a routine training mission at approximately 5:17 p.m Feb. 6.
- U.S.: Rumsfeld Details Record Defense Budget RFE/RL 07 Feb 2006 -- In a press briefing at the Pentagon, U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said the record amount allocated for defense in the 2007 budget proposal submitted to Congress on 6 February would be used to boost the United States' ability to both fight unconventional terrorism and win conventional wars.
- US Defense Secretary Says Military Must Transform to Defend Against Terrorism VOA 07 Feb 2006 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld says the military must continue to transform in order to defend America against terrorists and future threats that are difficult to predict
- Rumsfeld Speaks on Process Behind Budget, QDR AFPS 07 Feb 2006 -- No nation has the resources or capability to defend against every conceivable attack, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told the Senate Armed Services Committee today.
- Pace Highlights Troops' Needs to Senate Committee AFPS 07 Feb 2006 -- The nation's highest-ranking military officer addressed medical care, reserve component changes and recruiting and retention issues during testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee here today.
- Pentagon Review Stresses Long-Term Strategy To Defeat Terror Washington File 07 Feb 2006 -- The Pentagon has released a four-year security strategy that focuses on new global capabilities, adapting the military to the information age and being prepared to wage a long-term fight against terrorist networks and militant extremism.
- Transcript: Media Availability with Secretary Rumsfeld, Senator Warner and Gen. Pace 07 Feb 2006 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld, Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee Senator John Warner (R, Va.), and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Peter Pace
- Army Guard, Reserve leaders discuss changes, challenges to force Army News 07 Feb 2006 -- In the first week of February, as the Army rolled out its budget and explained changes to its force structure, a top Army National Guard leader had a message for Soldiers: "The Army is in transition and we're all in this together."
- Air Warfare Battlelab: Turning ideas into reality AFPN 07 Feb 2006 -- The Air Warfare Battlelab is one of seven that has been paving the road for a leaner and more lethal Air Force since 1997.
- Duty history centralized for Reservists AFPN 07 Feb 2006 -- Beginning mid-March, Reserve Airmen will be able to access and change their duty history through the virtual Personnel Center Guard and Reserve, or vPC-GR, a 24/7 customer service Web portal operated by the Air Reserve Personnel Center here.
- Air Force attends FBI training AFPN 07 Feb 2006 -- Explosive ordnance disposal, or EOD, technicians from nearby Hickam Air Force Base are attending FBI training here.
- U.S. Army Reserve Streamlining Force, Helmly Says AFPS 07 Feb 2006 -- The U.S. Army Reserve must modernize how it "manages manpower" to prepare for future missions and challenges, head of the Army Reserve Command, said here yesterday.
- NATO Transformation, Operations on Tap for Meeting AFPS 07 Feb 2006 -- NATO's continuing transformation and the alliance's operations, particularly in Afghanistan, are among major agenda items for NATO defense ministers when they meet Feb. 9 and 10 in Taormina, Sicily, a senior Defense Department official said here today.
- White House Briefing, February 7 Washington File 07 Feb 2006 -- President's schedule, Bush phones Danish Prime Minister Rasmussen/freedom of speech, Bush/funeral services for Coretta Scott King, FY07 budget
- State Department Briefing, February 7 Washington File 07 Feb 2006 -- Afghanistan, Mexico, Israel/Palestinians, Iran, Department, Denmark, India, Bangladesh, Turkey, Greece, China/Taiwan
- DoD News: Contracts for February 7, 2006
- Boeing Delivers "Spirit of Hawai'i - Ke Aloha," First USAF C-17 in Pacific Region Boeing 07 Feb 2006 -- Officials from Hickam Air Force Base in Honolulu today took delivery today of the first U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III to be based outside the continental United States. Saying the C-17 ushers in a "new era of airlift in the Pacific," the Air Force named the aircraft "Spirit of Hawai'i - Ke Aloha."
- Northrop Grumman Receives $225 Million Contract for Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Propulsion Replacement Program Northrop Grumman 07 Feb 2006 -- The U.S. Air Force has awarded Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) a $225 million contract for 27 months to continue the full-rate production phase of the intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) Propulsion Replacement Program (PRP). The program will replace aging solid-rocket motor sets, for stages 1, 2, and 3, in the Minuteman III missile arsenal with remanufactured motors to maintain alert-readiness status through 2020.
- Bath Iron Works Awarded $31 Million Contract for Destroyer Maintenance, Repair and Upgrades General Dynamics 07 Feb 2006 -- The U.S. Navy has awarded Bath Iron Works, a subsidiary of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), a $30.9 million modification to a previously awarded contract to perform Post Shakedown Availability (PSA) maintenance, repair and upgrade work for two Arleigh Burke-class Aegis destroyers homeported in Norfolk, Va. The existing contract was originally awarded in March 2005.
- Six FOX NBC reconnaissance vehicles go to the Netherlands Rheinmetall Defence 07 Feb 2006 -- Rheinmetall Landsysteme has just delivered six highly advanced FOX NBC reconnaissance vehicles to the Dutch armed forces. In a ceremony at Rheinmetall Landsysteme GmbH's Kassel plant on January 25, 2006, Cees van der Knaap, the Dutch Deputy Minister of Defence, was presented with a symbolic key to the vehicles ahead of their official transfer to the NBC Reconnaissance Company of the Dutch armed forces.
- Russia: Annotated Timeline Of The Chechen Conflict RFE/RL 07 Feb 2006 -- Below, RFE/RL presents a timeline of Russia's troubled relations with the North Caucasus Republic of Chechnya.
- Russia: Chechen Envoy Talks To RFE/RL About Rebel Reshuffle RFE/RL 07 Feb 2006 -- Chechen separatist leader Abdul-Khalim Sadulayev on 6 February announced a government reshuffle, which targets several top rebel representatives abroad.
- Two More Palestinians Killed in Israeli Airstrike VOA 07 Feb 2006 -- An Israeli airstrike has killed two Palestinian militants in Gaza City.
- India seals border with Nepal IRNA 07 Feb 2006 -- The Indian Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) has sealed the Indo-Nepal border in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar to check the 'spill over' of any problem occurring in the Himalayan Kingdom.
- UGANDA: LRA's Joseph Kony now in DRC, says military IRIN 07 Feb 2006 -- The leader of the Ugandan rebel Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), Joseph Kony, has crossed over to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) from his hideout in southern Sudan, the Ugandan military has said.
- CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC: Thousands of civilians flee as army fights bandits IRIN 07 Feb 2006 -- At least 2,000 villagers in two provinces in the northwest of the Central African Republic are hiding in the bush without food while an equal number has fled to neighbouring Chad recently to avoid fighting between the army and bandits, local sources said.
- COTE D IVOIRE: Village attacks leave 11 dead IRIN 07 Feb 2006 -- Eleven people were shot or hacked to death when unidentified assailants attacked a village in the volatile cocoa-growing western region of war-torn Cote d'Ivoire, hospital and police officials said on Tuesday.
- Burma's Regime Poses Democratic and Security Challenges Washington File 07 Feb 2006 -- Burma's ruling military junta poses a security concern to the country's immediate neighbors and the broader region, says U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for East Asia and Pacific Affairs Christopher Hill.
- Muslim Protests Against Prophet Cartoons Spread Across Asia, Middle East VOA 07 Feb 2006 -- New protests over controversial political cartoons that many Muslims see as an insult to the prophet Muhammad erupted Tuesday across Asia and the Middle East.
- Turnout for Haitian elections is high, UN mission says UN News Centre 07 Feb 2006 -- As Haitians turned out in large numbers to vote in national elections in the Caribbean country today, the senior United Nations envoy there visited voting centres in the capital, Port-au-Prince.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|