05 January 2006 Military News
- FIVE TASK FORCE BAGHDAD SOLDIERS KILLED
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing by General Peter Pace, USMC, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff 05 Jan 2006 -- Presenter: General Peter Pace, USMC, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
- More than 100 Dead in Iraq Attacks VOA 05 Jan 2006 -- Suicide bombers in Iraq have killed more than 100 people in attacks against Shi'ite pilgrims in the south and police recruits in the west.
- CENTAF releases daily airpower summary AFPN 05 Jan 2006 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the daily airpower summary.
- Troops Capture Terror Suspects, Find Weapons Caches AFPS 05 Jan 2006 -- Soldiers from Task Force Band of Brothers detained 11 terror suspects and seized weapons caches Jan. 4 in the Tikrit area of northern Iraq, military officials in Baghdad said today.
- Suicide Blast Kills 10, Wounds 50 in Central Afghanistan VOA 05 Jan 2006 -- Afghan officials say a suicide blast has killed at least 10 people in a city in central Uruzgan province during a visit by the U.S. ambassador.
- National Guard helps battle wildfires AFPN 05 Jan 2006 -- National Guard crews continue to assist Oklahoma and Texas firefighters in dousing wildfires that have now burned more than 600,000 acres in Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Transcript: Media Roundtable with Dr. David Chu, Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel and Readiness) 05 Jan 2006 -- Presenter: Dr. David Chu, Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel and Readiness)
- Dorrance Smith Sworn in as Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs 05 Jan 2006 -- J. Dorrance Smith was sworn in as the assistant secretary of defense for public affairs, Thursday, Jan. 5, 2006, during a ceremony at the Pentagon,Washington, D.C.
- Air power key to many 2005 successes AFPN 05 Jan 2006 -- More than 75,000 Airmen rotated in and out of the theater to 12 locations during 2005 and helped coalition forces take part in historic events and record-breaking accomplishments.
- Aggressor squadron stands up at Nellis AFPN 05 Jan 2006 -- The Air Force will reactivate the 65th Aggressor Squadron at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., Jan. 12.
- Bush Kicks Off National Foreign Language Initiative AFPS 05 Jan 2006 -- President Bush today kicked off a new national program designed to increase the number of Americans fluent in Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Hindi, Farsi, and other critical-need languages.
- Munition To Be Destroyed, Open House Cancelled Army News Release 05 Jan 2006 -- The U.S. Army is canceling a planned open house Jan. 9 in Edgewood, Md., to discuss a plan to transport a 75-mm mustard-filled munition from Dover Air Force Base, Del., to Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md.
- DoD News: Contracts 05 Jan 2006
- BAE Systems completes flight tests of F-22A Digital Electronic Warfare System BAE Systems 05 Jan 2006 -- BAE Systems has successfully completed the first phase of developmental flight tests for the U. S. Air Forces F-22A Raptor digital Electronic Warfare (EW) system. The tests were conducted aboard Raptor 4009 at Edwards Air Force Base, California, over the past four months.
- Northrop Grumman Chosen to Proceed with Developing Solid-State Laser Technology for Military Applications Northrop Grumman 05 Jan 2006 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has been selected to develop "military-grade," solid-state laser technology that is expected to pave the way for the U.S. military to incorporate high-energy laser systems across all services, including ships, manned and unmanned aircraft, and ground vehicles.
- U.S. Air Force Selects Northrop Grumman to Provide New, Improved Navigation System for F-16 Fighter Northrop Grumman 05 Jan 2006 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation's (NYSE:NOC) newest fiber optic gyro inertial navigation system, the LN-260, has been selected by the U.S. Air Force as an avionics upgrade for the F-16 Multinational Fighter Program aircraft fleet.
- Northrop Grumman-Protonex Team Selected to Develop New Fuel Cell-Based Power Pack for Military Applications Northrop Grumman 05 Jan 2006 -- The team of Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) and Protonex Technology Corporation has been selected by the U.S. Air Force to design and develop a new energy-efficient, lightweight fuel-cell system to power various targeting, communications and other sensor equipment used by airmen on the battlefield.
- Raytheon Team for APKWS™ II Demonstrates Semi-Active Laser Sensor Dome Survivability Raytheon 05 Jan 2006 -- The Raytheon Company-led team for the Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System II (APKWS™ II) program successfully demonstrated its semi-active laser seeker protection system during live-fire tests at the Yuma Proving Ground, Ariz., Oct. 20, 2005.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESMAN FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 05 Jan 2006
- DR Congo: UN report notes political progress, urges disarmament of foreign fighters UN News Centre 05 Jan 2006 -- Welcoming political progress in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan says in a new report to the Security Council that the Government must provide for its troops so they can fully disarm foreign armed groups on the country's territory.
- Turkey Moves Closer to Iraqi Kurds VOA 05 Jan 2006 -- Turkey has come to accept that the federal model has been embraced not only by the Kurds, but by most Iraqis and has revised its policies accordingly.
- Ariel Sharon Clings to Life in Critical Condition VOA 05 Jan 2006 -- There is a fear that politics will shift back to a very unstable and business-as-usual kind of bickering over politics. There will also be a lack of a political giant to pull the groups together in order to govern in an effective manner.
- Northrop Grumman Ships First Advanced Technology Microwave Sounder Flight Instrument to NASA for Environmental Monitoring Program Northrop Grumman 05 Jan 2006 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has delivered the first Advanced Technology Microwave Sounder (ATMS) to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) for early integration into a new spacecraft, for the NPOESS Preparatory Program (NPP), to be launched in early 2008 to monitor global environmental conditions.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|